Disneyland and so much more in So Cal - Trip Report

Cosmic Commando

What did you think about the DL Buzz? To me, the difference is like the difference between the DL Space Mountain and the MK Space Mountain, even though the Buzzes are very similar.

Cosmic Commando

Very good question.

I thought SM at DL was far superior, as was Buzz (the lack of restraints on the gun is a major enhancement)...

But, I'd love to see what @Tinkerfan4ever thinks!
I think the DL Buzz is galaxies (pun intended; haha lol rofl :cool:) ahead of the MK one, which is weird because the differences are relatively small. I barely want to ride the MK one, but the DL one? Well, look at my avatar/username.

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
I definitely enjoyed DL Buzz better than DW Buzz. It made the game more fun when you could pick up the guns. I also thought we didn't jerk the cart around as much because we could just move the guns. HOWEVER... it didn't improve my score at all! My DH did much better in DL though!

I also liked ToT better in DL. I thought the drops were more smooth and longer compared to the short up/down when I have ridden in DW.

I really had a great time in Disneyland and Southern California.

I absolutely LOVED the fact that you could walk everywhere and didn't have to rely on any sort of transportation. (Similar to my DVC home resort of Boardwalk Villas... walking to 2 parks is the best!) I also loved that it was only a 2 min walk from the gate of DCA to DL. Such easy park hopping. I loved that we also spent some time at other parks while in CA. I can't even describe how much we enjoyed Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

I also give props to the City Pass ticket. 3 days Disney, 1 day Sea World, 1 Day Universal. We went with City Pass Plus which also gave us 1 day San Diego zoo. It was perfect for our trip and allowed us to take advantage of different parks that we probably wouldn't have done otherwise.

TP2000

I absolutely LOVED the fact that you could walk everywhere and didn't have to rely on any sort of transportation. (Similar to my DVC home resort of Boardwalk Villas... walking to 2 parks is the best!) I also loved that it was only a 2 min walk from the gate of DCA to DL. Such easy park hopping. I loved that we also spent some time at other parks while in CA. I can't even describe how much we enjoyed Sea World and the San Diego Zoo.

I also give props to the City Pass ticket. 3 days Disney, 1 day Sea World, 1 Day Universal. We went with City Pass Plus which also gave us 1 day San Diego zoo. It was perfect for our trip and allowed us to take advantage of different parks that we probably wouldn't have done otherwise.

The merits of various WDW vs. Disneyland rides aside, it's the logistics of the Disneyland Resort that make it so dramatically different from WDW. Easily walking from park to park, walking from hotel to Downtown Disney, walking from Grizzly River Run soaking wet to your hotel room in under 5 minutes, etc., etc. is a benefit that can't be overstated. While I always enjoy the ferry ride at WDW across the Seven Seas Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom on my first day, the buses and transfers and crowds quickly get old at WDW when it comes to intra-property transportation.

And yes, Sea World San Diego and the San Diego Zoo are true gems. The best SoCal vacations take a few days away from Disneyland/LA and head to San Diego for a change of pace. A CityPass ticket should be mandatory for anyone visiting SoCal for a few days, especially with kids.

Great TR! Thanks so much for sharing it all with us. And I'm glad you enjoyed Ruby's and the drive along Coast Highway. Very smart move on your part to bail off the freeway there in San Clemente and drive up Coast Highway to get back to Anaheim.

TP2000

I also liked ToT better in DL. I thought the drops were more smooth and longer compared to the short up/down when I have ridden in DW.

I really had a great time in Disneyland and Southern California.

I agree on ToT. I think the concept is sound for the WDW original, but especially 20 years after it opened the execution of the WDW ride damages the concept. The 5th Dimension room is a clever idea, but the execution kind of ruins it; you rattle-rattle-shake out of the first elevator shaft, then roll not so elegantly through the dark ride portion while still seeing a lot of the track mechanics ahead of you, then it's another rattle-rattle-shake into the second elevator shaft with a solid clunk-kerchunk as the car is secured into its transport. You have just been reminded quite clearly that you weren't actually sailing through the 5th Dimension but were rolling a large elevator car from one location inside a warehouse to another.

It doesn't help that the WDW version never seems to close for rehab. Where at Disneyland, ToT is often closing one of the three shafts for a few weeks during every off-season for refurbishment. The results of that difference in maintenance are felt by the riders on both coasts.

The Disneyland version of ToT, and the Tokyo and Paris versions after it, gave up on the 5th Dimension concept entirely and instead expanded on the "show" scenes inside the main elevator shaft. I think that was the right decision to make design-wise and creatively.

Last edited:

TuffyCatt

Thank you for sharing your trip report!! I had a lot of fun reading it, and especially enjoyed hearing about the variety of things you all did on So Cal. It sounds like you guys really had a great time! Your pictures from the beach are soo beautiful!

I definitely agree with the talk about DL's Buzz being better, I don't know what it is, but I had so much more fun on CA's version. I also really liked DL's ToT, although I wasn't sure if I found it so fun because I didn't know where to expect the drop - but maybe it really is a better ride than WDW's...

I'm the odd man out and still love WDW's Space Mountain the best though!

Also, love your daughter's Bazinga t-shirt, haha :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom