Trip Report Disneyland and D23 Expo 2017 Completed

Hello! Okay, I guess I didn't think of the most creative title but it does the job. :)

My husband (Brad) and I (Amy) decided last year in July while riding Mickey's Fun Wheel at California Adventure to attend the D23 Expo in 2017. Why? We were looking over at the Convention Center from the top of the wheel and I told him that's where the Expo would be held and how it might be fun to go. He agreed.

When we returned from California I book our hotel rooms and in December 2016 on Christmas Eve I purchased our 3 day tickets (with early bird pricing) to the Expo. Somewhere on some unimportant date I also bought airfare! Ha! We had renewed our premier pass in September, so admission was covered for Disneyland.

Fast forward not to July 2017 and our travel dates were July 12 to July 18, 2017. Hey look at that, we would be there on Disneyland's birthday too! We were hoping that the train and boats would be back in operation (spoiler alert...) they weren't, but Fantasmic did open while we were there.

So here we go!

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @ @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We checked in and then waited in line to meet Minnie.
IMG_2941.JPG

D23EXPO2017 140.JPG

Once we got seated there were some characters coming into our section so we waited to get some food until we had met them.

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

Some of the food! The menu seemed limited when we looked at it online but we were pleased with the variety of options. And we left plenty full!
IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

Minnie, again, she and Chip came around to the tables a lot!
IMG_2954.JPG

Max was there. We had never met Max before so that was fun.
IMG_2958.JPG

Captain Hook was there too. All the characters played around with us and were fun to interact with, which is not always the case for us. Sometimes, the characters just see us as two adults and do a quick picture and leave. We don't need a ton of interaction but it is always a plus. I have done 3 character meals now at Disneyland Resort (Surf's Up, Goofy's Kitchen, and Plaza) and this might be my favorite of the three. Although, I had fun and decent food at all of them.
IMG_2960.JPG

Figgy1

Premium Member
We checked in and then waited in line to meet Minnie.
View attachment 230563

View attachment 230562

Once we got seated there were some characters coming into our section so we waited to get some food until we had met them.

View attachment 230565

View attachment 230566

Some of the food! The menu seemed limited when we looked at it online but we were pleased with the variety of options. And we left plenty full!
View attachment 230567
View attachment 230568

View attachment 230569
Minnie, again, she and Chip came around to the tables a lot!
View attachment 230570

Max was there. We had never met Max before so that was fun.
View attachment 230571

Captain Hook was there too. All the characters played around with us and were fun to interact with, which is not always the case for us. Sometimes, the characters just see us as two adults and do a quick picture and leave. We don't need a ton of interaction but it is always a plus. I have done 3 character meals now at Disneyland Resort (Surf's Up, Goofy's Kitchen, and Plaza) and this might be my favorite of the three. Although, I had fun and decent food at all of them.
View attachment 230572
That looks like a fun line up but your shirt outshines them all:inlove:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The only real disappointment of the breakfast was the Mickey waffles. I waited until the end to get some, and this was at the end of the service (when they were getting stuff ready to close and transition into lunch/dinner) so there wasn't an opportunity to get more.

Anyway the waffles were under done. The edges were fine but the rest was still mostly batter. Oh well, I still had enough to eat.
IMG_2963.JPG

We had a couple more characters come around. Tigger was by far the friendliest and gave great hugs!
IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

After breakfast we wandered to Adventureland to grab a fast pass for Indy. I waited and took some pictures while hubs grabbed the fast passes.
IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
That looks like a fun line up but your shirt outshines them all:inlove:

Figment rocks! I did get quite a few compliments on it today from park goers and cast members. Especially from cast members. I have worn figment stuff to Disneyland before and the cm's there always gush over Figment. So if you want cm attention at Disneyland wear Figment stuff!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
We decided to wander around and check out some of the little things at Disneyland, some of the shops have little games to play for about 25cents to 50 cents

A Woody marionette thing, where a song plays and you can make him dance.
IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

In the same shop we visited the Orchestrion and for a quarter it played a song and we watched the instruments inside it play.
IMG_2983.JPG

Then we headed out to hear the Disneyland band and it was the march along down Main Street with the characters which then meet up with the Dapper Dans. So of course we marched along with them.
IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_3002.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
After the little march and one song with the Dapper Dans Brad wanted to shop from something in the Disney art store (blanking on the name). He didn't want me with so I found a shady spot to hang out. All the nearby shady benches were taken, so I ended up sitting on the steps by the Sherman Brother's door on Main Street. It was a fantastic hangout, it was a little hidden, shady and provided great views. I probably could have stayed there for a long time just enjoying people watching and enjoying the atmosphere.

This was my view.
IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

As you can see I entertained myself with some pictures. Here you can see my spot had its own awning.
IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Then hubby found me. There really wasn't any space for him to sit so he wanted to keep moving. But we back tracked a little and took the trolley up Main Street to go use some of our collected fast passes.
IMG_3011.JPG

I think the lagoon is so pretty and I don't mind the ride but it is so tiny inside and the wait is so long we usually don't do it. And we didn't this time either.
IMG_3016.JPG

It was a busy and hot day. So we took a break in Fantasyland for water and Mickey bars!
IMG_3021.JPG

And back through the hub
IMG_3024.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Time to watch the Dapper Dans again, this time they performed with the piano player at Coke Corner.
IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

I thought about buying this shirt but didn't. It might be too true to wear!
IMG_3033.JPG

Time for Indy
IMG_3034.JPG

Then we decided to collect the free Fantasmic cards that were being given out at certain stores around New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Frontierland and Adventureland. Supposedly we were supposed to be given a trivia question in order to get the cards (that when put together made a map for Tom Sawyer Island) but only the cm in Critter Country had us do it. To be fair that was the only store that was empty when we arrived the others were really busy with other customers.

We saw the Mark Twain being tested. We both wished we could have helped test.
IMG_3038.JPG

Hubs thought he would try out the hats as we listened to the Frontierland orchestrion again.
IMG_3042.JPG

Then it was tiki time!
IMG_3046.JPG

Hub fell asleep and I enjoyed the show. Well mostly enjoyed the show near the end a lady near by decided to play on our phone (full brightness) and talk to her companion. If she was bored the exit was literally right next to her. :devilish:

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Then we sat near the castle and watched a bit of the Soundsational parade from afar. Then we went to see the Tangled show. It was really cute and the girls (in their early 20') were VERY into the show! But that was fine, it made us chuckle to see them so into it.

While we waited for the show to start I went to the nearby Maurice's Treats cart to get us a snack. I was going to get our normal cheddar bagel twist and a grey stuff pastry but it looked so good I didn't know if I wanted to share. Big mistake the grey stuff pastry looked good but it was pretty dry and didn't have any good flavor. The dipping sauce was okay but neither of us ate more than half of the pastry, it was money wasted.
IMG_3053.JPG

Tangled!
IMG_3054.JPG

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3058.JPG

After the show we picked up a fast pass for the Matterhorn, it would start at 8pm so we would just have time to ride it before we needed to head to the airport, right?
IMG_3060.JPG

Then we headed back to Main Street to check out the little games in the Candy Palace. And saw them making our favorite snack to bring home from Disneyland....English toffee
IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

IMG_3064.JPG

And now the games...
A Pinocchio one like the Woody one in Frontierland

IMG_3065.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I know at some point we did Big Thunder and Haunted again but no pictures, and we did some other attractions but really today was leisurely and trying to just enjoy the park.
Then the All American College band was performing in front of the train station so we went to watch some of that. I guess I decided to dance like a dork. I'm pretty sure I was doing my Baby Groot impression.

D23EXPO2017 001.JPG

I saw the train being tested, and was sad we couldn't ride.
IMG_3086.JPG

At some point Brad and I separated. The Dapper Dans were performing again and he wanted to watch them, but I wanted to continue to watch the band. When we met up again we went to the Red Rose Taverne for dinner and got the burger and poutine. Both were super good, but Brad's tummy was a little upset (probably too much bacon at breakfast) so I got to eat most of it.
IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3089.JPG

Then the All American College band was performing in the theater used for the Tangled/Beauty and the Beast shows so we watched them again.
IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

Then we stopped for a castle picture on our way for our last ride at the Matterhorn. When we got there the Matterhorn had just shut down for technical difficulties and the cm's out front said it would be at least 45 minutes. So no Matterhorn for us.
IMG_3092.JPG

Our flight home was out of LAX so we had to start heading to the hotel to pick up our bags and get an Uber. One last picture on our way out.
IMG_3093.JPG

The Uber arrived about 2 minutes after I ordered it and the driver was friendly and we got to the airport fairly fast. But getting to our terminal was a different story, we spent about 40 minutes getting to our terminal drop off point. There was so much construction and traffic it was terrible. The driver almost got hit a couple times, and it wasn't his fault either. But once we got dropped off check in was easy and we had just a couple minute wait for security.

The plane ride home was comfortable and seemed to go fast. I had gotten a decent price on first class through our regional carrier Sun Country so we had plenty of space to sleep. When we landed though there was a security threat at Terminal Two in Minneapolis and that terminal had to be evacuated so the threat could be dealt with. So we had to stay on the plane. Luckily it we only had to stay on for an hour, so we were thankful for the extra first class room. But soon we were off, gathered our luggage, made our usual stop at McDonald's on the way home, and were at home. Hubby had to go into work right away but I slept an hour before driving to my sister's house to pick up the dog.

It was a great Disneyland trip and the D23 Expo was more fun than we had imagined it would be. We are definitely planning to head back to the Expo in 2019! If any of you decide to go, let me know and lets have a big meet up when the time comes!

Thanks for reading and see ya real soon!

amjt660

Premium Member
Great report (pics, commentary and opinions)
Loved the fact you went to D23 and gave us a look inside.
The character breakfast had a lot of different characters - great that you met Max - Goofys son - not me (yet)

Thank you for sharing

Max

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great report (pics, commentary and opinions)
Loved the fact you went to D23 and gave us a look inside.
The character breakfast had a lot of different characters - great that you met Max - Goofys son - not me (yet)

Thank you for sharing

Max

Thanks Max! I'm enjoying your trip report right now! The character breakfast was fun and it would have been more fun we had met you (the human Max) instead of Max Goof.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Loved your D23 report!!! :inlove: From start to finish, this one was jam packed with information, pictures, etc. Many of us never get out to Disneyland, let alone a D23 convention.

And, the best t-shirt of the trip was Figment! :joyfull:

Oh, I was surprised by the number of different characters, and all the visits they made to your table at your breakfast. At least for the entertainment aspect, you definitely got your money's worth. :happy:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Loved your D23 report!!! :inlove: From start to finish, this one was jam packed with information, pictures, etc. Many of us never get out to Disneyland, let alone a D23 convention.

And, the best t-shirt of the trip was Figment! :joyfull:

Oh, I was surprised by the number of different characters, and all the visits they made to your table at your breakfast. At least for the entertainment aspect, you definitely got your money's worth. :happy:

Thanks @MinnieM123 ! The variety of characters at the Plaza did indeed make it worth the money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom