Disneyland admits they are planning changes to the Annual Pass Program - 2/11/2018

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/...prices-on-most-tickets-and-all-annual-passes/

>>However, resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown warned that changes are coming to the annual pass programs sometime this year.

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019,” Brown said Friday in a prepared statement.

For this latest change, though, they did not eliminate the park’s monthly payment plan, which Brown said a majority of annual passholders use to pay for their passes.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Marquez said he hopes that Disney officials won’t adopt a policy under review that would eliminate the option of paying for annual passes in monthly installments.

Passholders are sharply divided on the monthly payment option, with some believing it should be eliminated to reduce overcrowding, and others in favor of keeping the passes affordable.

“Sixty-five percent of Americans live paycheck to paycheck,” Marquez said. “Disney is a corporation, they have to do what they have to do, but that would really hurt passholders if they take that away.”<<

Tony the Tigger

Before we get all high and mighty about who makes what money and “earns” their AP, keep in mind the families who follow a trajectory similar to ours: In your 20’s, make less money, start with a few day pass, fall in love with the place. Repeat. Start making more money, going more often, seeing the value in an AP but still can’t afford to buy them outright.

That’s a perfect opportunity to do the payment plan and decide how well an AP works for you.

A few years later, that same family who went on the cheap when they were younger may buy their AP’s outright.

But I don’t see that as an accomplishment vs the payment plan, and without the payment plan, many would put it on a credit card and still constitute bodies in the parks.

George Lucas on a Bench

luke-skywalker.jpg

It's time for the APs to end.

mickEblu

I’m more interested in the these upcoming changes eventhough my AP Pass saw the biggest increase. I still have 9 months to go until my AP expires but I think I’ve decided that I’m not renewing. I’m done brainwashing myself into thinking I’m having a Good time. If I were to break down each trip I think for about every minute of fun, I have about 59 of stress. I usually have a 1 and a half hour “line” of traffic to get the park. Then Security lines with the baby bag my wife brings for our son with 72 zippers is no fun. Then the tram. Can someone tell me why there is only 1 row in each tram for strollers??? For a park that caters to children I would think at least 3-4 per tram would be a good idea. Then of course you finally get in and it’s line after line after line.

Now this isn’t all about crowds, in fact I think the parks are still manageable. It’s the combination of factors for me. Traffic + 2 year old + crowds = exhaustion and stress.

I’m also getting very tired of the Little Mermaid - Maters - King Arthur’s Carrousel - Dumbo - Tea Cups - Small World Tour. Disneyland is great when you get a little taste of all the flavors. Even with no children I would make a point of getting a couple of the FL dark rides in. But when you start getting there and leaving at the same time and doing the same 5 or 6 rides it can get old fast.

When my son is a few years older and if they restructure the AP program in a way (maybe with capped visits) that make for a more pleasant time I think I’ll start having fun again. For now, I’m going to stop pretending that I am. Of course all of this is coming after a very long day at the parks yesterday where my son was especially feisty and I wasn’t in a great mood to begin with. Great trips to the park are still to be had but they are becoming more rare.

Oh ya - all the walls everywhere weren’t helping yesterday! I don’t really care so much about long lines for rides. But I do like to be able to walk around without having to calculate a way to move from A to B without getting trampled.

Lastly I couldn’t help but thinking- for the amount of money I spend in the park every year for a bunch of 6-8 hour decent and exhausting trips, I could do 3 nights at the Grand Californian, eat at the best restaurants at the resort, get a massage, buy a high end souvenir or painting from Disneyana, have a nightcap at the Hearthstone Lounge and still have money left over. Nothing is worse than that feeling of walking back to Mickey and Friends late at night with aching feet and knowing you still have an hour drive ahead of you. Especially when you are walking by all the tourists/ vacationers who are finishing up a late meal at DTD and about to walk up to their rooms.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

APs need to let it go like the Heart of the Ocean diamond. I love going to DL too, but there's more to life than going to a theme park over and over again. DL isn't going anywhere and if you spend your life there, neither will you. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You never know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. To make each day count.

mickEblu

APs need to let it go like the Heart of the Ocean diamond. I love going to DL too, but there's more to life than going to a theme park over and over again. DL isn't going anywhere and if you spend your life there, neither will you. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You never know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. To make each day count.

Finally a Titanic quote I recognize.

mickEblu

So I’m guessing these changes will be announced by April/May of this year considering SWL will be opening around the same time in 2019. Anyone considering an AP, should probably act sooner than later.

Travel Junkie

I doubt they are getting rid of the AP program entirely. It's too much guaranteed money to walk away from. The Select pass went up the least, so they seem satisfied with their numbers on that one. I would guess they discontinue the So Cal pass completely and make the Select pass the new So Cal pass with no weekends and I could see them even blocking out all Friday's with that pass.

The thing with these passes is that the more expensive they get, the more some people feel they need to go to justify it.

TP2000

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/...prices-on-most-tickets-and-all-annual-passes/

>>However, resort spokeswoman Suzi Brown warned that changes are coming to the annual pass programs sometime this year.

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019,” Brown said Friday in a prepared statement.

For this latest change, though, they did not eliminate the park’s monthly payment plan, which Brown said a majority of annual passholders use to pay for their passes.<<

Thank you Darkbeer! This statement from the spokeslady truly is the hidden gem in today's ticketing and AP announcement.

The current system as we've known it for the last 20 years will no longer be sustainable or workable once Star Wars Land opens. They have to do something different to prevent AP disaster on opening day and through the first year or two of operation.

I'm fascinated to see what they come up with! A points system, using up more points in your AP bank to get in on certain days? An AP hierarchy of which AP level barcodes can access Fastpass tickets to the Star Wars rides on certain days? An allotment of days you may use your AP to enter Disneyland versus DCA?

I'm reminded of the systems airlines currently use with their Coach cabins, where you have all sorts of different fares that get you the same seats in Coach. But some fares allow you to check a bag and bring a carry-on, some fares allow you a cocktail and a carry-on, and some fares only allow you a middle seat with no carry-ons allowed and the stewardess won't even look at you. Disneyland could do that with their AP's, limiting access to the park overall or Star Wars Land specifically.

Last edited:

Nonsuch

“We will be reshaping our Annual Pass program to better manage the guest experience throughout the year, which will help all Disneyland Resort guests have a great visit, particularly as we look forward to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in 2019,” Brown said Friday in a prepared statement...
Disney will need to implement a system to avoid multi-hour lines to even enter SWGE.
A system used by many museums might work: Museum members (like APs) have unlimited access, but must schedule in advance timed admission to special exhibits.

TP2000

Hmm... timed admission. The Void in Downtown Disney does that, where you have to reserve a time days or weeks in advance.

Currently at The Void, Saturdays and Sundays are fully booked through early March, there are lots of weekday slots available the next few weeks, but this Wednesday is all booked up because its Valentine's Day and the date niters will be out in force.

Curious Constance

This Marquez fellow seems like an idiot. If you're living paycheck-to-paycheck, you probably shouldn't be an annual passholder at Disneyland.
Isn't it crazy? He's expecting Disney to have a heart and remember a lot of people can't afford regular trips to Disneyland, so keep the payment plans and make it possible for them to irresponsibly scrape together enough cash every month some how to do it anyway.

George Lucas on a Bench

That's the thing. Disney had made APs so affordable and everyone in CA is able to go on a regular basis. Anyone who has been to the parks in the last 5-10 years knows that the resort cannot pack in those crowds and provide guests with a good experience. And they're consistently packing them in. If you've been in the summertime when APs are blocked and you seem to have more vacationers, it's remarkably pleasant. As soon as those bans are lifted, it's like being in the third class areas while Titanic is sinking.

mickEblu

That's the thing. Disney had made APs so affordable and everyone in CA is able to go on a regular basis. Anyone who has been to the parks in the last 5-10 years knows that the resort cannot pack in those crowds and provide guests with a good experience. And they're consistently packing them in. If you've been in the summertime when APs are blocked and you seem to have more vacationers, it's remarkably pleasant. As soon as those bans are lifted, it's like being in the third class areas white Titanic is sinking.

Speaking of blackouts how was Spring Break last year? I hear those two weeks where most of the AP tiers and So Cal discount tickets were blacked out were quite pleasant?

Curious Constance

Soon they will have a new hotel to fill with out of towners. And they will charge ridiculous prices for it. How can you ask anyone travel to your resort, and to pay those kinds of prices to stay and then make them feel like sardines in the park?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom