Disney World Stage Managers

warntheduke

Original Poster
Hi Everyone!

I'm just wondering if there anyone here who would know about the difference in responsibilities between a Disney World stage manager and one who works in a more "traditional" theatrical setting. I know there are at least few Entertainment folks on here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

lightboy

Here ya go...

Here's the difference...

Nowhere else in the world can a former custodial or operations manager (or cast member) with no entertainment background...call a live theatrical stage show....

Well....except for Disney. :ROFLOL:

BiggerTigger

Well, lightboy, I know of one person that I worked with at The Land boat ride that had a back ground in theater and couldn't get a job stage managing at Disney. She finally got a job with that other competition (Universal Studios). I did hear taht she finally got back to Disney a few years later. But this was back in 1997. Things may have changed. :shrug:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Hi Everyone!

I'm just wondering if there anyone here who would know about the difference in responsibilities between a Disney World stage manager and one who works in a more "traditional" theatrical setting. I know there are at least few Entertainment folks on here, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

The Disney World stage manager has to know how to say "Im sorry ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing technical difficulties. If you will please exit to your left".:lookaroun

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I don't know any other stage manager that has to do labor reports :lol:

and I second that, I don't know of ANY other stage manager that can get the job without any theatre experience, knowledge, background, or any semblance of knowing what the f!!! they're doing :)

clarkstallings

Most traditional Broadway stage managers have to do labor reports that go to the company managers. An equity stage manager at that level has production management responsibilities well beyond "Standby cues 121 and 122....go 121, 122."

raven

I am a paid, non-union stage manager for theatrical productions in Michigan. Disney stage managers are union as are other techies and stage hands. It is not called Equity as that is the union for actors. The techie union is called the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE).

More information can be found here:
http://corporate.disney.go.com/careers/wdw_audio-visual.html

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions you can PM me. :wave:

warntheduke

Original Poster
It is not called Equity as that is the union for actors. The techie union is called the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE).

Equity is actually for actors AND stage managers.

IATSE includes the people who "...construct, install, maintain, and operate the lighting and sound equipment [and] the scenery and special effects." (IATSE Local 1's Website)

mkt

Premium Member
Equity is actually for actors AND stage managers.

IATSE includes the people who "...construct, install, maintain, and operate the lighting and sound equipment [and] the scenery and special effects." (IATSE Local 1's Website)
Except at WDW where all managers are non-Union. This is Florida, not New York.

At WDW, AEA at covers actors, dancers, and singers. I believe stunt performers and acrobats as well. AFM covers musicians, regular, contract, and temporary (except Magic Music Days obviously). IATSE covers techs and costuming.

warntheduke

Original Poster
Except at WDW where all managers are non-Union. This is Florida, not New York.

At WDW, AEA at covers actors, dancers, and singers. I believe stunt performers and acrobats as well. AFM covers musicians, regular, contract, and temporary (except Magic Music Days obviously). IATSE covers techs and costuming.

Thanks for the clarification MKT.

Any idea why managers are non-union? And since that's the case, are they getting the short end of the stick as far as pay, benefits, etc. are concerned?

butterflyminnie

The Disney World stage manager has to know how to say "Im sorry ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing technical difficulties. If you will please exit to your left".:lookaroun

:ROFLOL: the theater i work at has a pre recorded announcement that is played during a technical hold "ladies and gentlemen may i have your attention please...."

I didn't realize that you could have Equity actors and not Equity stage managers. The last place i worked at we had Equity actors and stage managers, I thought this was the way it had to be

raven

I didn't realize that you could have Equity actors and not Equity stage managers. The last place i worked at we had Equity actors and stage managers, I thought this was the way it had to be

It's Disney. Should I say more? :animwink:

Technically they should all be represented by a union but they aren't and it's sad.

mkt

Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification MKT.

Any idea why managers are non-union? And since that's the case, are they getting the short end of the stick as far as pay, benefits, etc. are concerned?
Florida labor laws... very few professionals in the state in ANY profession are unionized. In WDW even more so... I don't know any salaried CM's that are represented.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom