Disney World Planning is far too complicated (CNBC article)

jaklgreen

I've gotten about one sentence into talking about planning a Disney vacation and all my friends' eyes glaze over. None of them are interested enough to do that much work as you have outlined here.
I find this sentiment odd. Why wouldn't anyone do their due diligence when traveling somewhere? It is a big chunk of money that you are spending and to do little to no research is setting yourself up for failure. It is not a question of if you can go somewhere and wing it, it is more that it is foolish to do so.

Animaniac93-98

Every other hotel I stay in... I can go downstairs and eat at the restaurant in my hotel.

At Disney, I needed to decide weeks ahead I might be hungry.

I think Poly may be the worst for this.

Imagine paying $500-$700 a night for your room and you can't get into Trader Sam's because of the vloggers or 'Ohana because it was booked months ago. Now even the Luau is gone. But maybe you can get a sandwich by the pool during your "Deluxe" stay.

zombiebbq

I find this sentiment odd. Why wouldn't anyone do their due diligence when traveling somewhere? It is a big chunk of money that you are spending and to do little to no research is setting yourself up for failure. It is not a question of if you can go somewhere and wing it, it is more that it is foolish to do so.
My point is Disney is way too complicated for them, not that they are completely advserse to planning a vacation. The input isn't worth the output (cost is also a factor).

Fordlover

I feel like you may not have your fingers on the pulse of the typical American vacationer. I believe it is a minority of folks that want to plan out every minute of their vacation, though there are certainly some out there. Most people want to have fun, relax some, and not be on a high-pressure schedule or worked over for more $$ at every step.

Think about it. Many college students are still surprised they are expected to pay back the student loans they signed up for, and that is a far longer-term commitment than a weeklong vacation.

The reason Disney is able to continue with their approach is simply because demand (vacationers) is much higher than supply (capacity) at WDC parks. If a major recession hits and attendance drops way off, I'd expect to see WDC make trips to the parks less onerous.

dmw

In the Parks
No
due diligence is one thing. Having to plan out so many details during the day is excessive. My family was shocked by how much planning I did when we visited in the late 90s and up to 2019. But, once they understood the value and how much more they were able to experience because of that planning, they were very appreciative.

Contrast that to last year when we had season passes to Dollywood. I knew what restaurants required same day signup (in person in the park) on busy days (no ADR concept), and what rides and show venues accepted the TimeSaver to skip lines. And, I knew the best strategy for young (grand) children who may not meet rider height requirements. That's all I needed. We showed up with tickets, made our way around the park riding what we wanted, using TimeSaver when needed, eating when we wanted... so much less stressful and much less planning than even visiting a single WDW park.

BTW, I totally agree with due diligence required for just about any trip. I research cruise ports and excursions, hotels, local attractions, local transportation, best times to visit, etc. It makes the vacation experience so much better than "winging it", IMHO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
but also.. due dilligence is not the same as 'structure everything or be left behind'

Due Dilligence is knowing not to wait 90mins for Philharmagic... or knowing the best time of day to do something... or knowing where your dining options are. This is knowledge gathering to be informed - to allow you to optimize your experience.

Disney planning is not just optimization, it's 'do or be left out' to not a non-optimized experience, but a fractional one. Disney isn't just about knowledge, it's about forcing you into a schedule in a way that is unnatural to most people trying to be on a vacation.

Vacationing you still have commitments - but they should be few. That is not Disney. And the number of streams you must interleave at Disney makes your scheduling brittle and unaccommodating. That's why its not just "I enjoy planning..."

Even those that enjoy planning hate when their plan gets blown up and then they miss out on elements they thought they had locked in.

Basil of Baker Street

I don't get this whole idea that you have to plan out every minute of every day. I have not been since FP+ days but even then people complained about all the planning. 6 month out I went to the website and made all my dinner reservations. 3 months I went to the website and made my FP+ reservations. Done. We had great times.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't get this whole idea that you have to plan out every minute of every day. I have not been since FP+ days ...
So you are missing out on several of the new requirements.

Like...
Park Reservations
ILL times
new reservation booking windows daily
virtual queues
limited park hopping

These are all things that need to be interleaved with things you knew before.. like ADRs, FP return times, park hours, etc.

LSLS

Like...
Park Reservations
ILL times
virtual queues
limited park hopping

These are all things that need to be interleaved with things you knew before.. like ADRs, FP return times, park hours, etc.

Don't you usually need to do mobile ordering too if you don't want to wait in insane lines at quick service?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't you usually need to do mobile ordering too if you don't want to wait in insane lines at quick service?
another evil yes.. but not really so much part of planning IMO. Unless you're talking about the stupid scenarios like "if you don't order by 9:30am, lunch will be sold out by the time you want lunch"... which was another fail of Mobile ordering

Touchdown

Original Poster
another evil yes.. but not really so much part of planning IMO. Unless you're talking about the stupid scenarios like "if you don't order by 9:30am, lunch will be sold out by the time you want lunch"... which was another fail of Mobile ordering
Woodys Lunch Box anyone?

Seems to be the only QS that has that issue at WDW. I so wish the festival booths at Epcot had this though…

Basil of Baker Street

Like...
Park Reservations
ILL times
virtual queues
limited park hopping

You left out the part of my quote where I said even in FP+ days people complained. This is nothing new.

RobbinsDad

Disney planning is not just optimization, it's 'do or be left out' to not a non-optimized experience, but a fractional one. Disney isn't just about knowledge, it's about forcing you into a schedule in a way that is unnatural to most people trying to be on a vacation.
And that's why it makes the most sense for Disney to continue to make the process detailed and cumbersome. Both the uber-planners and the non-planners will have more time for in-park purchases, either through their efficient use of time or lack of. "If we rope drop the 3 biggest rides, we can hit Starbucks afterwards instead of spending time in line." "This line is 90 minutes. Do you want to stand in it or should we just go get Starbucks?"

BuddyThomas

Well the difference there is that a trip to Orlando usually lasts a week or two (even three or four weeks for us Europeans) of doing either just Disney or going all out and throwing Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Legoland, Kennedy Space Centre, a day at the beach, the malls, water parks etc in to the mix and that takes planning and coordination to make the most out of this super $$$$ vacation.

A trip to Cedar Point, Six Flags etc is a mindless cheap day trip that yes, does not require planning. You drive up in the morning and drive home at the end of the day. So cheap of a day trip that if you don't get much done it doesn't really matter. You'll probably get the chance to go again whereas for a lot of people, Disney World/Orlando is a once in lifetime trip. There's the difference here.
Not to nitpick but a trip to Orlando does not last a week or two for everyone. The longest I have ever been is 5 nights, and I’ve been a lot.

BuddyThomas

Every other hotel I stay in... I can go downstairs and eat at the restaurant in my hotel.

At Disney, I needed to decide weeks ahead I might be hungry.
I remember when the Beauty and the Beast restaurant just opened and we were lucky enough to score lunch reservations. However, at the time (don’t know if it’s still the same now) they made you pick what you wanted to eat and pay for it to complete the reservation. My partner had a royal meltdown about having to decide what he wanted for lunch months before the lunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom