Disney World, party of one

cherrynegra

Okay, seriously considering heading to DW from San Francisco for a couple of days. Thinking of arriving late Wed nite and leaving Sunday. Question is, has anyone done the parks on their own?? I know having friends makes it fun, but no friends or family can get time away from work as I can unless they're unemployed. They're not.

So, I would really like some input on whether I should just bite the bullet and plan my trip just for me. Comments or words of encouragement appreciated.:lol:

Enderikari

As an experienced party of one Disney-Goer, look forward to a great time. The key to enjoying your single trip to Disney is to set your own pace. Remember that each day is your own, to do as fast or as slow as you want it. If you are experienced in Disney, strike up conversations with guests and cast members about disney things. But enjoy yourself, most of all. Disney is the ultimate play place

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm actually planning my trip right now, and I figured, what the heck. At least I won't be beholden to anyone's schedule and I can get to the parks as early as I want and stay as late as I want. I'm looking at Sept for my birthday, or October. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun as a party of one.

Upvote 0

wild01ride

cherrynegra,
I just got back from a rather interesting week and a whole new experience of experiencing Disney as a party of one. I didn't go completely by myself. I went with my parents actually and we were supposed to have a forth guest up until early January when plans changed- long story!

Anyway, as my parents had their own things planned, I ended up going my own way for a good part of the week. I am generally a shy guy, but being in WDW by yourself is a lot more comfortable than anywhere else- everyone is so nice to you there, sometimes even nicer, from my experience, when you're by yourself because it's easier to make legitimate conversation.

So, I ended up going to Jellyrolls by myself a few nights (we stayed at the Boardwalk, so it was perfect.) I strolled the Boardwalk, took in Illuminations by myself, took on Tower of Terror next to an excited little eight year old who was far braver than her parents.

Overall, I think that WDW is the only place in the world that I could be so comfotable by myself.

Enjoy- I think that you should have a blast!

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Thanks for the post and trip update. I've never travelled on my own, but I would agree that the best place to do it would probably at the happiest place on earth.

Upvote 0

barnum42

I've made eleven trips to WDW, eight of them on my own. You get to go where you wish to when you wish to. The only thing I tend not do solo is eat at waiter service restaurants. Whilst many people have posted that cast members will make you feel at home, I can't shake the feeling that eating alone in a full service restaurant is like I'm on a business trip. But that’s just me.

You will have a great time.

Upvote 0

GaryT977

As an experienced single park goer, I'd recommend you take one of the tours. The 'Keys To The Kingdom' tour would be a great place to start.

These tours are full of inside info that would appeal to hard core Disney fans, but perhaps not the casual park fan who would normally be along with you who just wants to ride the rides.

Also, make sure you get a park hopper pass so you can bounce around as much as you like.

Upvote 0

nicholas

I agree with everyone else. I spent one day of my recent trip alone, and was a little worried about it at first. But I could not have been more pleased with having some alone time in the parks. I walked around at my own pace, didn't have to compromise with anyone as to what we would do and when. I did have a Pal Mickey to keep me company, which actually was somewhat of a help. The only problem I encountered was I had to ask other guests to take pictures of me with characters since I didn't have a friend to do it. And since I'm very shy in person, I always felt like I was bothering them. But other than that, I would definitely be cool spending a day alone in the parks again. I also found I took more pictures when I was alone than when I was with people, which is always a plus.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips everyone. Really appreciate it. I guess my biggest concern would be eating at one of the restaurants alone. I've never done it, and always thought that those that did were brave individuals. This mini-trip will certainly be an experience. And I'm completely excited now and looking forward to experiencing it all alone.

Upvote 0

GaryT977

Originally posted by cherrynegra
Thanks for the tips everyone. Really appreciate it. I guess my biggest concern would be eating at one of the restaurants alone. I've never done it, and always thought that those that did were brave individuals. This mini-trip will certainly be an experience. And I'm completely excited now and looking forward to experiencing it all alone.

There's a freedom that comes from exploring the parks on your own that can't be described. It's such a huge, joyful place to explore.

As far as eating by yourself goes, I've found it's easier if you have something to read while you're eating. By the end of my trips, I know those guidemaps forwards and backwards.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I told a group of friends of mine gathered for the Oscan party that I was heading for Disney in Sept all by myself and now one of my friends wants to come along with her family of four..........DOH!!!:brick: Oh, well. Maybe I'll keep shut about it untill it's time to leave and then send them a nice postcard.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

WDW by yourself? GO, GO, GO!!!

I go every summer for a week by myself - with my husband's blessing - and it is WONDERFUL! I can stand on line for a popular ride, or just sit in the shade. See what I want to see, and skip the stuff I'd rather not wait for. Head back to the hotel for a dip in the pool when I'm hot, have ice cream for breakfast, go as early and stay as late in the parks as I want...you get the idea. Go for it! :)

Upvote 0

Pat X

Dude, go by yourself...I went solo last year and had one of the best trips ever! I didn't get lonely at all! The only downside is eating. I didn't want to eat at a sitdown restaurant, so I did counter service the entire time and that got a little old.

But again, it was a great trip. GO! GO! GO!:)

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
A Whole New Perspective

You will enjoy yourself and will probably conclude that the different perspective adds a whole different way to enjoy the parks. I travel a lot, and when in southern LA try to do DL/DCA. Next week I will be at a conference in Orlando and I sure as heck ain't gonna miss spending a few days in the park.

Table for one for eating takes some getting used to, and I always feel I'm taking the space away from families (I usually judge the crowd size before doing that), but otherwise the freedom lets you explore and enjoy in ways you just can't with others.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Just wanted to update those of you who were kind enough to offer your words of encouragement and your experiences exploring the World on your own that I'm set to go for a birthday trip to the World all by myself Sept 17th to Sept 24th. I'm so excited I wish it were here already. I may even do the drinking tour around the world as others have. I'll be by myself so I won't annoy anyone back at the room if I do this. :hurl:

Thanks again to all of you!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom