Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Time to pull out one of my favorites.
Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Now first we all know there's extreme frustration with Disney for not putting any new rides into construction. They have been twiddling their thumbs for an entire year. But I can tell you expansions are coming.
So, you're saying that there are CMs who are fans of Disney and that they're frustrated that there are no new rides being built right now. Welcome to the club. We all are. This isn't 'inside information.'

They have Imagineering coming to Animal Kingdom early in the morning in Dinoland. I also heard that Disney is hiring for workers to build their Magic Kingdom Expansion. But don't expect construction to start anytime soon. From what I was told it's all because of paying contractors. Bob Iger reportedly doesn't want to start building any new rides in the domestic parks till after the Epcot expansion is complete.
CMs have no access to what Bob Iger or C-Suite is thinking. The CMs are passing around the same rumors they most likely heard here.

The problem is Epcot's center won't be done till mid or late 2024. Which is very frustrating.
CMs wouldn't have access to the completion timeline of EPCOTs hub.

It took the original imagineers 3 years to build all of Epcot in the 80s and now it takes them even longer just to build the center of it. This is why they haven't closed any rides or areas lately.
Yes, trying to build in a busy park with guests in it 10 hours a day is difficult. Financially, there's no real need to rush, since Disney is aflush with cash and makes billions in profit. The original EPCOT construction happened with everything being worked on at once with no guests in the way and less stringent construction codes (tho, more stringent than the rest of the state at the time). They rushed to complete it with non-stop activity because it was essential it started to bring in revenue ASAP.

Second thing is regarding Tiana's Bayou Adventure. While I am super excited and support the retheme. The recent rumors suggest this retheme will have problems. Now again I'm hearing this from alleged former Splash mountain Cast Members. But it seems are fears about the retheme are true. Most if not all the human animatronics will have projection faces like Frozen Ever After. Also at least one scene will be all screens.
CMs who had worked at SM would have zero, I repeat, zero inside information as to what the rebuild would be. Because they worked as CMs, that doesn't mean Imagineers are meeting with them to keep them in the loop. This is all baseless rumor.

The reason Disney for it's Christmas Party got rid of lights on the castle is because projections are cheaper. Prior to the Pandemic both Dinosaur and Buzz Lightyear were scheduled for a refurbishment.
I'm sure the castle projectors cost much more than strings of LEDs, even if they numbered in the thousands.

The reason they won't shut the Tomorrowland Speedway down is because after all these years of gas the ground is polluted. And if they tried to tear it up they'd have to pay a fine to the EPA I believe.
Then how did Disney get away with shortening the track recently?

The reason Peter Pan won't get a upgrade like Disneyland is because the walls are lined with fire proof material they when fried can be toxic. Making the whole process become much more tough shutting the whole building down for a while. Tron took so long was because Disney refused to pay the contractors which delayed the ride.
Who ever said PP was going to get an upgrade? What's likely to happen is a change in one of the scenes.

Now let me rephrase. Everything I posted here is speculation and rumors I heard from cast members in Florida. ...
**Remember everything you read here is not confirmed only speculative**
Indeed. In general, CMs know *less* than what we know in these forums. And that's because we have people with actual inside information, and not mere rumors or speculation (that gets repeated so often, people believe it's true). Our insiders tell us what they can without burning bridges. On top of that, Disney often changes their timelines or minds.

CMs may know something about the particular attraction they're working on (for example, when they're going to be reassigned because the attraction is slated for some sort of closure).

Other than that, CMs know less than what we know on these forums. They are not a reliable source of inside information, especially information that is the purview of upper management.

Brian

Other than that, CMs know less than what we know on these forums. They are not a reliable source of inside information, especially information that is the purview of upper management.
Indeed. Remember when the announcement that The Great Movie Ride was to be closed and the cast found out from the blog announcement? The days of Disney sharing any "insider" information with front line cast are long behind us, as they had been notoriously loose lipped.

GrumpyFan

I don't know, guys...

Ctrl+F "bus driver"

"No results found"

It checks out.
People make fun of the bus drivers, and most are completely legitimate to do so. It's not the most exciting of jobs loading and unloading people who are either full of energy and excited or completely wiped out and angry.

I kid you not though, several years back, and at least a year in advance of any of the announced changes to DHS with the transportation makeover and Skyliner, a bus driver described in near perfect detail what they were planning and designing at the time. I remember it vividly because it was wild and quite bold a vision at the time and my wife asked if I had heard about it, to which I had not and I joked about how it was just a wild story made up by a bored bus driver. We still talk about it frequently when visiting DHS and how almost everything he said came to be.

DisneyCane

People make fun of the bus drivers, and most are completely legitimate to do so. It's not the most exciting of jobs loading and unloading people who are either full of energy and excited or completely wiped out and angry.

I kid you not though, several years back, and at least a year in advance of any of the announced changes to DHS with the transportation makeover and Skyliner, a bus driver described in near perfect detail what they were planning and designing at the time. I remember it vividly because it was wild and quite bold a vision at the time and my wife asked if I had heard about it, to which I had not and I joked about how it was just a wild story made up by a bored bus driver. We still talk about it frequently when visiting DHS and how almost everything he said came to be.
Maybe he was Iger filming Undercover Boss?

cranbiz

I loved being a bus driver. It was a great job. Of course, this was before MiMs (and the Bob's), where I had the freedom to talk to guests, etc.
I did it for 5 years, had zero regrets. Probably passed on a bunch of rumors that a different site lapped up. 🤣

If I end up in FL again after retirement, I would seriously think about driving a bus again.

MerlinTheGoat

I guess most people have figured out much of this is BS, but i'll add my own commentary into the mix based on information I know about one specific point-

Tiana's animatronics are not supposed to be face projected. If that was ever a consideration (and I once heard it may have been), then they definitely changed it. The ride received several substantial budget increases throughout development, and I gather a fairly significant amount of that went to the animatronics. Both increasing their numbers as well as the technology used. The human animatronics are high end fully physical figures. I'm sure there will be some screen elements used in the ride, but hopefully they will be used in a more supplementary manner rather than entire rooms being wall-to-wall flat video screens. Like adding some extra flair to background scenery that is already physical in nature or would otherwise have just been flat paintings anyway is decent. Much like what they have done to upgrade classic Disneyland dark rides. It's alleged to still be a very physical ride.

Both video projection and physical animatronics are subject to deterioration in wet environments. Animatronics probably even moreso. Over 80% of the Mexico boat ride is projection based. Shanghai's version of Pirates and Navi River also have a ton of video (the Shaman AA is what tends to break most often, not the video based stuff). I'm guessing the two boat rides being built at Fantasy Springs in Tokyo will also have quite a number of projection effects. The Jurassic World boat ride at Universal Hollywood also now contains quite a few projections.

It will be up to daily/nightly maintenance crews to ensure the ride is properly taken care of after it opens, with both physical and video elements requiring constant attention as has always been the case. And that's a major concern for WDW in particular. Compared to every other Disney resort on earth (even Paris these days), WDW is at the absolute bottom of the barrel in terms of upkeep. Splash was in fairly abysmal condition when they closed it, and that was far from the first time maintenance allowed it to reach such a state before fixing it (Tokyo does not have this problem at all, their attractions including Splash are kept in immaculate condition and look brand new). Tiana will also deteriorate rapidly within a couple of years unless an authority figure at Disney mandates a higher standard of upkeep.

The Speedway has undergone several substantial reroutes throughout its existence. Including recently in 2019 when Tron began construction, and in 2012 when they relocated Dumbo. So i'm calling BS on that too.

Peter Pan probably wouldn't require any tearing out of the walls or whatnot to receive relatively substantial changes. Many of the ride's barriers separating the scenes around the middle to final third of the ride are just black cloth curtains. Tokyo Disneyland is a good reference point for what can and probably would be done in such an overhaul. Prior to a few years ago, Tokyo's Pan was a pretty much a 1:1 replica of Magic Kingdom's. It received an overhaul in 2016. I say overhaul, because it was the middle third that received the most alteration. The London scenes got a couple of new shadow projections and cloud props, they also shifted a few of the building props around (most noticeably Big Ben). The scenes from Skull Rock onward were pretty much untouched outside of water ripple projections and a partial fiber optic curtain on the pirate ship. The Neverland flyover room was what underwent massive changes. They gutted all of the scenery and put a variant of the miniature island model from Disneyland, along with the curtains of fiber optic stars and water projection. The platforms containing the Lost Boys was rebuilt and relocated, and the Mermaids and Native Camp were also restructured a bit and given some new dressing/effects. But despite all of these changes, I don't even think they knocked out any walls. It appears that they just reformatted the scenery within the existing rooms and remained within the parameters of the original walls. WDW could most likely easily adapt these same changes. The likely reason they haven't done anything with the ride is "why bother". In its current ancient state, it still gets stupidly long lines. So there's little incentive from Disney to do anything about it. WDW doesn't care about maintaining and updating its rides in the same way that Disneyland or Tokyo does.

It goes without saying that they don't have an approval or final plan for any of the Dinoland or Beyond Big Thunder content. They admitted to that on stage and you don't need to have any sort of insider information to see it. The only part of the AK presentation that is probably fairly set in stone and likely to happen is the Zootopia show in the Tree of Life.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Was this prior to @danlb_2000 posting the permits? He was very early in putting it together as new transportation
Maybe the driver is a member here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom