Disney World or Disneyland?

richiericher22

Original Poster
I have never been to Disneyland, and I do not plan on going. To me it seems more like a day park, I wouldn't spend more than even 3 days there. If I'm ever in California than I probably will go. I'm not saying it's not a good park-just small.
:animwink:

What does look good in Disneyland is California's Adventure- I don't know why but it does look interesting.

Heres what I love about WDW-
-4 theme parks, and two water parks
-I love Epcot, it's absolutely beautiful.
-Over 20 hotels, my favorite being the Yacht and Beach Club, Contemporary, and the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.
-I can spend hours on the monorail doing nothing and have a great time!
- Amazing firework shows- Wishes, Illuminations, and Fantasmic!.
-A lot of the rides still hold the classic elements that I remember from when I was about 9-ish.

Leave your replys which park you prefer and why=]:sohappy:

Captain Hank

I'm afraid that this particular topic has a bit of an unfortunate history on this forum--usually it disintegrates into an "us vs. them" flame war. Really the best conclusion is that they're both very good, but very different properties that cater to different markets.

mickey2008.1

I knew i should have started this thread as i stated in sm soft opening. WDW hands down. From the pics of DL, it looks as Coney Island. blah. Six flags. Blah. WDW, great themeing. On site resorts, monorails. Busses. boats. All you can dream of! Different everything at WDW! Food not even a question. EPCOT!:xmas::xmas: Osborne lights!

richiericher22

Original Poster
I knew i should have started this thread as i stated in sm soft opening. WDW hands down. From the pics of DL, it looks as Coney Island. blah. Six flags. Blah. WDW, great themeing. On site resorts, monorails. Busses. boats. All you can dream of! Different everything at WDW! Food not even a question. EPCOT!:xmas::xmas: Osborne lights!

Agreed- WDW has a much wider variety of activities. AND GOLF! lol:D

Ryan120420

Both Resorts Have their pros and cons. And things that one resort dose better than the other.

IMO

Disneyland Resorts Magic Kingdom stomps WDW's into the ground.

WDW has Epcot, one of the best parks ever built.

Disneyland Resort is easier to get around, and has about the same number of "E" ticket attractions that all of WDW's 4 parks have.

Quality of attractions is a bit higher and parks are taken care of a bit more at the Disneyland Resort

Quality of Cast members is higher at WDW.

Christmas is done MUCH MUCH MUCH better at the Disneyland Resort.

WDW is in its own little world, Disneyland is located in the middle of an urban jungle.

Although both WDW and DLR are toruist destinations, DLR is more of a local park.

Personally I love Disneyland a bit more because I don't have to hop between 4 different parks to ride and experience my favorite attractions. And most of the attractions that the two resorts share in common are done better at DLR.

sponono88

I have never been to Disneyland, and I do not plan on going.

From the pics of DL, it looks as Coney Island.

I don't know whether to laugh :lol: or do this :brick:.

DL v WDW topics are nothing new, it's a classic Disney-forum debate of us versus them. Besides, I don't think it's fair to compare both resorts when you've never been to DL... Personally, I don't need water parks, DVC resorts, spas, or golf courses in order to have a great Disney park experience.. I can find those perks/activities at any vacation resort anywhere in the world. It's Walt's original park. Enough said.

Really the best conclusion is that they're both very good, but very different properties that cater to different markets.

agreed.

Krack2

I won't get into Resort vs. Resort, but having lived in both areas, I feel pretty comfortable discussing the Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland. They are both, obviously, great ... but I prefer Disneyland. Here's why:

Adventureland:

* Original Tiki Room show
* Indiana Jones is the best ride in either park and fits in thematically perfectly.
* The Flying Carpets take away from the immersive experience of MK's Adventureland, in my opinion. It ruins the atmosphere.

New Orleans Square:

* Pirates is far better.
* The Blue Bayou is the best restaurant experience in either park.

Frontierland:

* Fantasmic in DL is a better experience than DHS, imo.

Fantasyland:

* The "castle stone" facades are much, much better.
* No roof on the tea cups greatly improves the experience, particularly at night.
* Mr. Toad still exists.
* Matterhorn - nothing comparable in MK.
* The subs still exist, even though they've been Nemo-ized.
* IASW facade is beautiful and iconic. The outdoor load area adds to the experience.

Tomorrowland:

* The Space Mountain ride is better. The ride vehicles are much more comfortable. However, it's 2nd floor outdoor queue detracts from the exterior appearance of the building, imo.
* The "live music venue" aspect of the Tomorrowland Terrace (particularly when you get a fun cover band) - nothing comparable in MK.

Main Street USA:
* The stores have not completely been "Emporium-ized" yet. It's not one big store the entire length of Main Street. Adds greatly to the atmosphere.
* The Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama has no comparison in MK.
* I can't speak for the new fireworks, but Remember Dreams Come True was the best fireworks show either park has ever seen. I'm actually shocked they changed it already.
* During the day (particularly in the summer), there are less people and far, far less stollers and motorized carts.

Admittedly, the Magic Kingdom is better in many aspects:
* Most importantly, it's just so much bigger. On a crowded day, Disneyland can make you clostrophobic because you have people packed right on top of you.
* The Pirates queue is far better.
* The Haunted Mansion seems grander because of it's location inside the park.
* Country Bears
* The Hall of Presidents is much better than Moments with Mr. Lincoln.
* I'd call Liberty Square vs. New Orleans Square a tie on themeing.
* The castle is much larger and nicer.
* Tomorrowland actually looks like it has a cohesive theme.
* TTA is up and running
* The Rocket Jets look impressive because of where it's located.
* You don't have people camping out for Fantasmic two hours before it starts and causing massive traffic congestion for the whole west side of the park.
* Similarly, you won't get completely trampled at the conclusion of the fireworks.
* While it doesn't even exist in MK, Star Tours in DHS has much nicer exterior themeing than the one in Disneyland.

As has been pointed out, Resort vs. Resort, there's no comparison. DCA isn't even half as nice as DHS. And there's nothing to compare with Epcot or AK. No waterparks, only one premium themed resort hotel, no golf courses. The monorail is mostly a novelty, instead of intrical to the resort transportation. And most importantly, you can't just get on property and forget about the outside world for a week - you're always going to know you're in the middle of the city (there's not enough separation from the outside, the city is right on top of you).

_Scar

Right now, head to WDW...

but when next Summer and the Summer after that rolls around I'd check out DL/DCA for DCA's expansion and DL's excellence. DCA is wall-city and filled with construction. F! probably will not be showing due to the river refurb, too which stinks.

Then ater those 2 Summers I'd head back to the world for Fantasyland :)

Perhaps you might want to head to DLP or TDL?

matt88mph

I have never been to Disneyland, and I do not plan on going. To me it seems more like a day park, I wouldn't spend more than even 3 days there. If I'm ever in California than I probably will go. I'm not saying it's not a good park-just small.

I beg to differ. I wound up getting a 3-day park hopper on the Southern California CityPass a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be just the right amount of time, without having to cram things in. DCA gets a bad reputation, but there is a surprising amount of great things to do (unfortunately, quite a bit of it is down right now due to the large refurb going on). DL may be smaller in size, but certainly not in content. In fact, I think that I could make the arguement that it actually packs more in than MK. Granted, not all of the MK favorites are in DL (CBJ, HOP, COP, TTA, Philharmagic), but DL offers a variety of great, unique attractions. I actually feel that the layout for DL feels a lot more open and less cluttered than MK. Not to say I don't like MK, I just feel that each park has a different set of advantages that each give a distinctively Disney experience.

trr1

IMHO I dont think its fair to compare one resort
against the other without experiencing both resorts first.
You should go to both first before doing this :p

Sweet Melissa

I agree with a good deal of what has been said about the pros of each park. The only thing that I really disagree with is the comment that the quality of cast members is much higher at Disney World than at Disneyland. I don't think I've ever had a bad cast member experience at either park, but if I had to think of only one outstanding CM at any Disney location, it would be the young "bellhop" who tended to us on my first ride of Tower of Terror at DCA. He sold the theming so well, with appropriate "ghostly" mannerisms, evil laughter and a wicked grin when we returned from the ride. There are so many aspiring actors working in Disneyland and other SoCal resorts who do a truly impressive job at getting into character.

But to the point of the original post, I can't objectively compare Disneyland and Disney World. Both places are very dear to me and both offer different and extremely special experiences.

Laura

Premium Member
Disney World is a complete vacation package. Resorts, transportation, theme parks, water parks, shopping, and more. It definitely wins for the "big picture" category.

But Disneyland doesn't need to be a complete vacation package. There are so many things that someone visiting Southern California would want to do, no one would want to waste their entire 7-10 days in a theme park world. Disneyland is perfect for what it is...an experience that is meant to be enjoyed over the course of about 2 days. Disneyland packs the best of all 4 WDW parks into 2 parks, plus adds more, and the attention to detail is unbelievable.

For a day trip, Disneyland hands down has more to offer. For a week trip, WDW has more to offer. But like I said, most people visiting So Cal will not want to spend a week in one place. There's too many other amazing things to do around here.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Coney Island? Six Flags? I don't think the topic was referring to DCA :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
I don't think I've ever had a bad cast member experience at either park

Disneyland sends all of their bad cast members to work at the call center. They are awful! I hate making dining reservations. :lol: But in the parks, I haven't come across a bad one yet.

juan

Disneyland sends all of their bad cast members to work at the call center. They are awful! I hate making dining reservations. :lol: But in the parks, I haven't come across a bad one yet.

While it wasn't bad, per se, everyone I ran into (when using CM discount for food and merch) kept asking "How much do you make at WDW?"

The Empress Lilly

WDW is the park of my childhood, my fantasy world. As long as even one stone is left standing, I'll prefer it over anything Disney will ever build. It is simply like that. One glance of the majesty of SSE over a week in Tokyo. - :eek:

Not that this prevents a somewhat objective view of the qualities of each of the different resort. I've been to both DL and WDW, and each has many things going for it.

The first time I went to DL for the first hour I was shocked at how small everything was. But then I went to TL, did the Matterhorn, crossed over into FL, and by then the magic and charm of the place had completely convinced me. DL is just really, really good.

The Empress Lilly

I won't get into Resort vs. Resort, but having lived in both areas, I feel pretty comfortable discussing the Magic Kingdom vs. Disneyland. They are both, obviously, great ... but I prefer Disneyland. Here's why:

Adventureland:

* Original Tiki Room show
* Indiana Jones is the best ride in either park and fits in thematically perfectly.
* The Flying Carpets take away from the immersive experience of MK's Adventureland, in my opinion. It ruins the atmosphere.

*long list*
An excellent post and I agree with most of your points.

Better at MK:

- Better and longer Jungle Cruise.
- Better Treehouse. Not cartoonised either.
- Larger Tom Sawyer.
- (Slightly) better Big Thunder.
- Chrystal Palace
- The World's Greatest Castle
- Our unique offerings: Philharmagic, CoP, CB, HoP, TTA.

Tragically, many of the aspects in which MK once trumped DL are now gone. Better once at the MK:

- A much better Toad. Two for the price of one. The left and right side each had unique scenes, and shared scenes from a different perspective. Which added greatly to the psychedelia and fun.
- Bigger and more varied Main Street. Alas, MS in the MK has been vandalized into a Walmart.
- 20K were the better Subs. So much atmosphere.
- Better TSI. Alas, that fun barrel bridge connecting the two islands has been torn down.
- Much larger, and more atmospheric Adventureland. Alas, much ruined by a non-fitting kiddie ride.
- Splash doesn't fit the theme of its surroundings. Previously, from the HM all the way round to Thunder or down to Pirates, the theme flowed majestically from one building to the next.
- Bigger SM. In DL, they used the SM refurb to add to the experience. In the MK, despite having the size to build a coaster that blows the others away, this hasn't been done.
- Far more space. Alas, were DL has expanded beyond the berm everywhere, in the MK unused space has been used for utility purposes, or lies dormant.

the-reason14

I wouldn't count out Disneyland. It is very nice and it makes the most of its size. There are a few rides that they do better than WDW, ie Pirates, Small World, Buzz Lightyear. They have a better fantasyland with a lot of nice dark rides that the MK should have gotten. And Indiana Jones is AHHHHMAZING.

And its great to be able to walk between the parks. You can go from Splash mt. to toy story mania in about 10 minutes or so. Its weird because DL is so small, not just the castle but mainstreet, the tunnels, and the trainstation. But it has so much more to do in its Magic Kingdom than WDW has in theirs. As a whole yes, WDW is better than DLR. But Disneyland park, just may be better than the MK.

Exprcoofto

I spent a week (7 day ticket) for just DL & DCA and not got bored of anything. Disneyland is so unique compared to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom