Disney World/NEW YEARS

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
I know this is early..but Im sure we will have to book/plan this ahead of time.

Anyone been to the world on New Years/New Years eve? How is it overall and how are the crowds?

surfsupdon

Crowds are nuts but it is a great experience. Been there for 7 consecutive New Years Eves, always in Epcot (more room).

We don't ride rides. We lay at our resort all day at the pool, get a great dinner at an Epcot Country, hang out at the video dance party at a country, dance and have fun, then watch the fireworks which are incredibly amazing, then walk back to our room at Yacht Club, and maybe jump in the hot tub.

GoochDSA

We did WDW on NYE a couple of years ago. As the PP said, the crowds are insane for the days leading up to NYE. On NYE in EC the wait times for rides like Soarin' and TT were listed as pushing 6 HOURS. We skipped rides that day and just people watched, which was fantastic. We had dinner at Biergarten and the vibe and energy in the WS was amazing (they also do IllumiNations earlier in the night as well as at midnight). However, the crowd tended to be going in one direction and if you tried to go in the other direction it was like salmon swimming up stream.

Expect stand-by times to be rediculously high, but the parks are open a lot longer (MK was open from 7AM-3AM on some days, to give you an idea). As long as you know what you are getting into and pack with you a whole lot of patience, it's really not so bad.

Also, MK does NYE Wishes on the 30th, so you can bring in the new year twice.

whitethunder

We did MK this year and it was absolutely amazing. The crowds are out of control but at the end of the night it was completely worth it. Possibly most memorable experience at wdw.

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
Crowds are nuts but it is a great experience. Been there for 7 consecutive New Years Eves, always in Epcot (more room).

We don't ride rides. We lay at our resort all day at the pool, get a great dinner at an Epcot Country, hang out at the video dance party at a country, dance and have fun, then watch the fireworks which are incredibly amazing, then walk back to our room at Yacht Club, and maybe jump in the hot tub.

Thanks! Sounds like a blast. So, Epcot DOES have a special dance party for NYE?

Thanks everyone. I have pretty much made up my mind because everyone tells me NYE is beyond amazing at Disney..what else would I expect:p

Are there peak prices on those days? Im assuming there are. I'm also not sure how far in advance to book our room.

MissM

As long as you know what you are getting into and pack with you a whole lot of patience, it's really not so bad.
This.

If you go in knowing it's going to be packed, understanding you will be bumped/pushed/hit with strollers due to crowds, patient that everything is a wait (and I do mean everything - bathrooms included) and try not to really "plan" on riding attractions and such, it's fine. The problem stems from people who don't have any concept of the what a park at capacity is like and no patience for it.

I've done MK for NYE and 4th of July. NYE is a long day and you will be tired from it but it's neat to have done. Just remember the patience part!! :lol:

GoochDSA

Thanks! Sounds like a blast. So, Epcot DOES have a special dance party for NYE?

Thanks everyone. I have pretty much made up my mind because everyone tells me NYE is beyond amazing at Disney..what else would I expect:p

Are there peak prices on those days? Im assuming there are. I'm also not sure how far in advance to book our room.

I wouldn't call it a dance party but there are some countries around the WS that have music and get into things a bit more. I have also heard that DHS is a lot of fun and not quite as crowded as EC or MK.

As for prices, this is the busiest week of the year. Prices are at a year time high and I have not heard or seen of any sort of discount like free dining or % off rack rates. There is really no way around paying full price for everything. If you plan on using a dining plan or are the types who want a TS every day, I would make sure you are booked in time for 180+10 if you are staying on site. It will be really hard to find a walk up at any time that time of year.

MarkTwain

We do it every year and still enjoy it. :wave: We even do most of the theme parks when we go. Some tips:

1. Bring your patience.

2. Although going into the parks isn't necessarily a bad idea, stay flexible and keep in mind you might not get to do everything you want to do. Don't tell yourself that you want to ride this and this and this in that order, or do a certain number of attractions in a day.

3. On that note, if you're comfortable with the idea of a "minor attractions" day (skipping the mountains and doing the Liberty Belle, Country Bears, and Enchanted Tiki Room), you'll have a MUCH less stressful day while still enjoying being in the theme parks.

4. Extra Magic Hours are your best friend. Use that 3am MK to its full potential!

5. Lines for QSRs are possibly the worst part of going into the theme parks during New Years. For that reason, we now brown-bag all our lunches. Saves a lot of time and money.

6. It gets COLD. Although parts of your trip may be warm enough, don't necessarily count on being able to swim.

7. Keep in mind how crowds tend to move, and plan accordingly. For instance, if you're in Frontierland and want to get to Tomorrowland and it's a half hour to fireworks show, the hub is going to be packed - it would seriously be faster to go through Liberty Square/Fantasyland. Remember that lines for things will be much longer 15 mins after a firework show ends or a Fantasmic show lets out, and that the best time to ride things might be during one of these shows. Spaceship Earth is packed in the morning but empty in the evening, etc... you know, the usual tricks, but they become much more important to observe during New Years.

8. Parks DO often get shut down for capacity in the early afternoon. For that reason, you would find it more desirable to enter in the morning or later afternoon than around the noon area. Seeing as the evening EMHs are outstanding ways to see the parks, perhaps consider sleeping in and entering in the mid-afternoon, and staying til closing. We entered the Magic Kingdom on the 30th a few years back at around 6pm, and were able to comfortably stay til 3am - and we ended up doing 13 attractions that night. We agreed that this was one of the best ways we've ever done the MK.

9. There is NOTHING wrong with taking a "day off" and sitting around the hotel/riding the monorail or Friendship boats around property for a day. Your feet will thank you, and it gives time for your patience to recover for the next day (the hotels are much less crowded than the theme parks ;))

10. Despite what my advice here might make it sound like, it really is an amazing experience. Watching Cinderella Castle change colors in time to music, or the Fountain of Nations performing nonstop for the entire day is something I love being able to witness every year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too! :wave:

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
I wouldn't call it a dance party but there are some countries around the WS that have music and get into things a bit more. I have also heard that DHS is a lot of fun and not quite as crowded as EC or MK.

As for prices, this is the busiest week of the year. Prices are at a year time high and I have not heard or seen of any sort of discount like free dining or % off rack rates. There is really no way around paying full price for everything. If you plan on using a dining plan or are the types who want a TS every day, I would make sure you are booked in time for 180+10 if you are staying on site. It will be really hard to find a walk up at any time that time of year.

I checked prices on the WDW website and it is not ALL that bad and seeing as my fiance and I are staying with another couple as well, the price will be split which works out great.

I will pack my patience for sure lol!

I'm pretty sure the experience will make it well worth it so we are going to give it a shot. :) I can't think of any other way that I would want to spend our NYE!

SulleyanBoo

Original Poster
We do it every year and still enjoy it. :wave: We even do most of the theme parks when we go. Some tips:

1. Bring your patience.

2. Although going into the parks isn't necessarily a bad idea, stay flexible and keep in mind you might not get to do everything you want to do. Don't tell yourself that you want to ride this and this and this in that order, or do a certain number of attractions in a day.

3. On that note, if you're comfortable with the idea of a "minor attractions" day (skipping the mountains and doing the Liberty Belle, Country Bears, and Enchanted Tiki Room), you'll have a MUCH less stressful day while still enjoying being in the theme parks.

4. Extra Magic Hours are your best friend. Use that 3am MK to its full potential!

5. Lines for QSRs are possibly the worst part of going into the theme parks during New Years. For that reason, we now brown-bag all our lunches. Saves a lot of time and money.

6. It gets COLD. Although parts of your trip may be warm enough, don't necessarily count on being able to swim.

7. Keep in mind how crowds tend to move, and plan accordingly. For instance, if you're in Frontierland and want to get to Tomorrowland and it's a half hour to fireworks show, the hub is going to be packed - it would seriously be faster to go through Liberty Square/Fantasyland. Remember that lines for things will be much longer 15 mins after a firework show ends or a Fantasmic show lets out, and that the best time to ride things might be during one of these shows. Spaceship Earth is packed in the morning but empty in the evening, etc... you know, the usual tricks, but they become much more important to observe during New Years.

8. Parks DO often get shut down for capacity in the early afternoon. For that reason, you would find it more desirable to enter in the morning or later afternoon than around the noon area. Seeing as the evening EMHs are outstanding ways to see the parks, perhaps consider sleeping in and entering in the mid-afternoon, and staying til closing. We entered the Magic Kingdom on the 30th a few years back at around 6pm, and were able to comfortably stay til 3am - and we ended up doing 13 attractions that night. We agreed that this was one of the best ways we've ever done the MK.

9. There is NOTHING wrong with taking a "day off" and sitting around the hotel/riding the monorail or Friendship boats around property for a day. Your feet will thank you, and it gives time for your patience to recover for the next day (the hotels are much less crowded than the theme parks ;))

10. Despite what my advice here might make it sound like, it really is an amazing experience. Watching Cinderella Castle change colors in time to music, or the Fountain of Nations performing nonstop for the entire day is something I love being able to witness every year. I'm sure you'll enjoy it too! :wave:

GREAT ADVICE! I might just have to print your post out and bring it with me on our trip! lol :)

Thank you!

MickeyGoof

Everyone is giving proper advice, but being prepared for insane crowds and having EXTRA patience canNOT be overstated! We do NYE at MK every year and I would never want to be anywhere else. It's the single best NYE party for all ages anywhere! GO. Be prepared. ENJOY. You won't be sorry.

sarajo

NYE at the studios is crazy. Yes, the crowds may be "smaller" but you have to remember that EPCOT is much larger than HS... it's all proportional! Crowds are insane at EVERY park on that day- over the course of the past 15 years, I've been to every park on NYE at least one time (HS every year!) and have witnessed it first-hand! Wait times are not for the faint of heart... but... it's so much fun to grab snacks and drinks and just watch the people :) Enjoy!!!!

timeman

New Year's Eve is one of the busiest days at Disney, but it is fun if you know how to handle it. I have been twice and both times did Epcot on New Year's Eve. I would recommend getting there when the park opens and getting Fast Passes for Soarin' and if possible Test Track. Usually they have cast members just handing out Fast Passes for Soarin', so you don't have to put your pass in the machine and that allows you to run over to Test Track to get one. They do have DJs in three of the countries at night along with one in Future World. After 8pm you will start to notice shorter wait times for JII, The Living Seas and Spaceship Earth. They do Illuminations twice on New Year's Eve with the final one leading into the final countdown which is amazing. I would recommend taking a break sometime during the day to check out the Epcot Resorts and maybe even heading back to your Resort to relax for a couple of hours and eat lunch at your resort as you won't have to deal with the longs lines like you will at the parks.

The other thing I would recommend is if they are having EMH for Hollywood Studios like they have the last few years that run from Midnight to 3am, I would take a walk over there between 12:30 and 1am. I did this on New Year's Eve in 2010 and Hollywood Studios was basically empty by the time I got over there around 1am. I was able to get a ton of pictures and even video of the Osborne Lights with only a handful of people in the section. It was great to be able to get pictures of the lights with no people in them. I also was abel to ride Toy Story at 2am with only a 5 minute wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom