Disney World Marathon

dhoywdw20x

Original Poster
I have decided to run the disney marathon next January. Has anyone here run it before? What is the experience like?

In addition to training for the race, I am writing a blog to document my adventure and challenge you can find it here at : www.dhoyosu.blogspot.com

Disney Dawg88

I have decided to run the disney marathon next January. Has anyone here run it before? What is the experience like?

In addition to training for the race, I am writing a blog to document my adventure and challenge you can find it here at : www.dhoyosu.blogspot.com

This will probably be moved to the Running at WDW board, but I've run in it many times now and it is by far my favorite race out there, it's a great experience especially if you love Disney. Check out the running board as many other people will chime in on this.

fmingo36

I ran it this past January. What a great race!
I've already signed up to do the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon in Sept. so I can earn my Coast-to-Coast Challenge medal.

You definitely need to read/post on the runners sub-forum. There is alot more info on the Disney races there than on this general board.

docandsix

It's a great race, a great experience, and a great way to start marathoning.

But there are as many amazing marathons as there are incredible travel destinations, maybe more. Get your feet wet at the Walt Disney World Marathon, but don't limit yourself if you decide to run more. You can get a great taste of America's natural beauty and historic communities by traveling through them on foot this way!

JillC LI

Welcome to the Running subforum, David, and congrats on taking on this challenge. You will find many of us here who have trained for and run - or are in the process of training for - a marathon. I ran NYC but I have not run the WDW Marathon - YET! Cool idea to keep a blog. I kept a journal of not just my training but my thoughts about my first marathon, and I'm really glad I did. It's a great thing to have.

So tell me, it seems a tad early to be officially training for a January marathon in April. What is your plan?

faw286570

I think it is great you are training now. There are many good programs out there. Find one that is a good fit for you and follow it, taking your time to ensure no injuries, and have fun. That has been my promise to my family. Take my time, put in a great effort, have fun and avoid injuries.

After completing my first WDW Half Marathon in January, I could tell I needed to build a better running base for the next event. It was a great experience and I had no difficulty finishing. For me, there were more walk breaks than I anticipated. My longest run prior to the event was 10 miles.

I have already started getting ready for next years event, doing some weeks twice before moving forward. The primary plan for me is the Jeff Galloway plan but I also like components of Hal Higdon's plans. Everyone is different so choose a plan right for you.

I have planned some 5k, 10k, and Half distance events through the year to give me mini goals to work toward. They will also give me an official timed measure of my performance, and help a local charity.

When all is said and done, my longest runs should be 28 miles, so I am ready for both the Half and Full marathon distances. Good luck with your training!

faw286570

I realized you asked what the experience was like, and I avoided answering.
It was a fun experience and moved quickly. I plan to do it again. It is what you make of it.

Every mile has some type of entertainment or refreshment which keeps you going. Based on the 'every mile is magic' theme, I covered the mileage easier than expected. It was great to have the characters, bands, performers, clubs, organizations, spectators, and cheer teams pushing us forward. I could feel positive energy in the air.

It's a great way to see WDW in a new way. How many people can really say they were out for a run with 22,000 new friends at 7am and a monorail whizzes past at multiple points?

I decided to make the most of it and get some pictures with the character groups. Now I have pictures with -
Wendy, Peter Pan, Hook and Smee
Cinderella and Prince Charming
Mary Poppins, Burt, and a Penguin
Goofy and Donald playing golf with a Mickey shaped golf cart

Consider staying on site to use Disney transportation.

Afterwards, my daughter was wearing my finishers medal so people would congratulate her as they walked past. It put a smile on her face and we laugh about it.

It is a fun experience and you will have a great time.

Good luck!

Ariel484

Hi David! :wave:

I'm also planning on running the 2012 WDW Marathon (also my first). Check out HollyBelle's marathon trip report from 2009...it is a FABULOUS read. You can also read my Princess Half Marathon trip report from this past February (link in my signature) for general Disney race information. And of course, if you search around in this sub-forum, you can find reports from the 2011 WDW Marathon.

Good luck with your training! :sohappy:

lukacseven

Have you run any other marathons? What is your running experience level? I've participated in the Marathon weekend events the past 6 years. I would say, in short, my experience with the race has been consitent and enjoyable. The x factor has been the weather, ranging anywhere from 28 and sleet to 89 and humid. Check out some of the posted trip reports for more details and keep visiting the running forums. There will be more excitement and posts closer to the race.

speck76

I have run the Disney full marathon 4 times (Goofy twice) - it is a great first-time marathon as there is some entertainment and the novelty of running through the parks.

I have found some non-Disney races to be more fun (Chicago and Marine Corps are great) so try to go beyond Disney if you continue to run.....

lukacseven

Good point. Disney is a fun race, and although it is a flat course, it is not necessarily a fast course - not a place if you're aiming for a P.R.. Definintely a good first time event. The one element that Disney does way better than any other race I've done is their security, particularly at the start and finish areas and their medical support.

I've done other major races where you cross the finish and are getting run over by strollers pushed by people eating the post-race food or when spectators back up the race to the point where you have to stand in a line and wait 2-3 minutes to even get to the finish line.

Other races can definintely be just as much fun.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
. . . and if you're wondering why I'm also following "Vampyre Gurls Book Club" and 10,000 other blogs . . . it's an author thing.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom