Disney World installs anti-terrorist barricades

STGRhost

No, none of these measures will protect us 100% - that's impossible without taking away all of our freedoms. They all just deter people from doing things because it is too risky. If someone wants to run thru the security tables, and jump the turstiles and blow up the parks, they CAN, but it will take an absolute psycho (like all the terrorists) to accomplish this, and most likely he will be noticed or caught before that happens.

I think that's a good point to keep in mind - we're not really ~that~ much safer than we were 3 years ago. It's just that now we're all hyper-aware of the fact that bad guys are out there, and we all want to FEEL safer. Many of the security measures that have been put in place lately (not just at Disney) are there so we feel safe, but probably won't stop anyone determined to to do damage.

Something else to consider is that WDW and Disneyland have been potential targets for YEARS, not just post-9/11. The difference, again, is that so many more people are aware now.

I guess I'm glad Disney is doing their part to make us feel safe, but I'm not sure how these barricades will stop a bad guy. How will the security guards know to implement the barricade? Certainly, they won't stop someone from bringing in a bomb or some such on a truck that is already familiar to the guards. Plus, the backstage access points (in most cases) are out of the way, and a speeding truck may not be seen until too late. Of course, I could be missing the point of what these gates are for - anyone else know better?

CTXRover

but I'm not sure how these barricades will stop a bad guy. How will the security guards know to implement the barricade

I'm not sure quite how they will work, but it sounded like the barriers will always be up and must be lowered for someone to pass through. The article then mentioned that they go back up in a matter of seconds before another car could pass through.

Even if they are going to be down most of the time (which I doubt...why even put them in then?), if a watchful guard notices a car plowing down with no intention of stopping, it sounds like that barrier can flip up pretty fast.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by STGRhost
Of course, I could be missing the point of what these gates are for - anyone else know better?

The gates "live" in the up position. They're not like typical gates, as they come out of the ground. They are giant steel plates that ramp up. the top of the "ramp" would be toward the incoming tarffic, making it impossible to drive into the restricted area without completely destroying the vehincle. They go down, hydraulicaly, when the guard determines that the vehicle is "authorized".

All delivery personnel have ID, and any truck that is deemed authorized to enter those area is marked clearly as to what it is doing. They may implement a "freight check" and just open the back door and look in to random trucks - who knows.

However, it will indeed help in the backstage area. I don't think the metal detectors are a good idea. If you want to get around them, you can. If I wanted to take a gun in the park, I'll take a Glock (plastic). If I want to take a knife in, I'll put it on the very bottom of my bag, where they'll never check. Again, it's all for show, but will deter most of the worst "bad guys".

TnkrBelPixiDust

I really think that it's good that Disney is taking steps to improve security. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the way things were before however the way things are these days, more security is a good thing. I think it's great how they are installing metal detectors... I know it makes me feel a heck of a lot safer!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom