Disney World GIS layers?

Experiment627

Original Poster
Hi all,

I'm not sure of the best place to post this thread, so feel free to move it if it belongs someplace else.

Anyway, I thought it might be cool to look at or make some maps of the parks at Disney World in a GIS (for those of you who don't know, GIS stands for Geographic Information System; kind of a way to tie a digital map in with a database). Does anyone know if such layers exist someplace where I could download them?

Thanks

thedream86

I'm shure Imagineering has done GIS layers of WDW but there not just letting any one get a copy of them. The only thing related to Imagineering I've been able to find is their AutoCad titleblock, and that came from someone they contracted to do work for them. But good luck to finding some.

Tim G

Originally posted by thedream86
I'm shure Imagineering has done GIS layers of WDW but there not just letting any one get a copy of them. The only thing related to Imagineering I've been able to find is their AutoCad titleblock, and that came from someone they contracted to do work for them. But good luck to finding some.

Please tell us more.....

thedream86

Disney title block

Please tell us more.....

Well, an aquaintance of mine worked for a company that did some CAD drawings for Imagineering, it was just another job for him so he didn't think much of it. All he remembers about it was that it was a mechanical peice and the drawings were sent to the matanice department in Orlando. This was back prior to Animal kingdome, so it could have been somthing for a ride, or a turn style. He no longer has the part but he did find a copy of the title block, although it was not part of a templet file. It's a simple title block for a D sized sheet, and features the Imagineering logo, address, and leagle information for the drawing. I think that they probably have difrent blocks for diffrent jobs, as the block I have seems to be a purly mechanical, and not an archetectual block. He said every thing they did for Disney was sent out on D sized paper, thats interesting that thay would do this on mechanical peices, as D sized is used almost exsclusivly for archetecture.

Attachments

• wdi_logo.jpg
    wdi_logo.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 118

Experiment627

Original Poster
Originally posted by WDWKing
Could someone give me some more clarification as to what exactly GIS is?

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I kind of forgot that I made this post over here.

*professor hat on*

GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. Basically, it a digital map that is tied to a database for easy query. Say the database contained information about...I dunno....sewer lids. With an easy query, I could find the exact location of every sewer lid in a city or county and plot that location on a highly detailed map. Why would I want the location of every sewer lid in a city? Well, I wouldn't. :) That's just an example. I was just curious as to what sort of map layers and databases Disney had for their property and what information was available to the public.

Chicken Guy

Sorry for the 18 year thread bump, but I was doing research on Disney World GIS and found this thread. This sort of data appears hard to come by, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knows of any open data files for the region.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom