News Disney World extends cancellation notice for resort hotels in 2025

Drdcm

Honestly, if they do the seven day g+ and it doesn’t work well, that might be it for me.

I can’t fathom how this will be useful. We’ll just have to make more reservations at 6am (just early) and g+ will sell out before the day even begins

Brian

Honestly, if they do the seven day g+ and it doesn’t work well, that might be it for me.

I can’t fathom how this will be useful. We’ll just have to make more reservations at 6am (just early) and g+ will sell out before the day even begins
It is based on the trend in feedback that guests feel like they have to have their faces in their phone the entire day instead of just enjoying the park with their families. By selecting the experiences in advance, you don't have to be on the app nearly as much.

Drdcm

It is based on the trend in feedback that guests feel like they have to have their faces in their phone the entire day instead of just enjoying the park with their families. By selecting the experiences in advance, you don't have to be on the app nearly as much.
But this doesn’t cut down on screen time at all… you can’t be on your screens in the parks at 7am

pigglewiggle

Although it's like having park reservations again. You still will have to pick your park in advance. We were looking forward to waking up and deciding that day.

But that's okay, it is what it is.

Brian

But this doesn’t cut down on screen time at all… you can’t be on your screens in the parks at 7am
If the advance selection Genie+ plan comes to fruition as I last heard it is supposed to, you wouldn't have to make selections at all during the day, unlike presently where you have to wait until you've redeemed your current one to make a new one, or every two hours, whichever comes first.

Drdcm

If the advance selection Genie+ plan comes to fruition as I last heard it is supposed to, you wouldn't have to make selections at all during the day, unlike presently where you have to wait until you've redeemed your current one to make a new one, or every two hours, whichever comes first.
Ok just to be clear… i’m not trying to argue with you. But if that’s the new plan one of two things will happen 1) we will be severely limited on what we can book and how many bookings we make or 2) nothing will ever be available same day. In both situations it makes an already had system even less valuable.

Also, it’s wild that they have to change the cancellation policy (one of the few remaining consumer friendly policies) for this.

Edit: nvm. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. The water park admission was a good move, so I amend my statement regarding consumer friendly policy.

Last edited:

Biff215

As much as I want to get off of my phone while in the parks, I’m not feeling great about this. Just not sure how many advance reservations they’re actually going to allow. With FastPass+ it was three which was a nice start, but that can really limit you if you get a later one and have to use all three before making another. Should be interesting!

Markc2

This is never going to last. Not only is this not competitive and bucks the resort/hotel industry trend on cancellation policies, but this also defies logic in the sense that most people who cancel trips at the 5 day mark do it for legitimate reasons (i.e. sickness, weather related concerns, or last minute work or family emergencies). 8 days is too far out to take those into consideration. The amount of call volume from guests who will be begging to have their reservations cancelled with no penalty will be substantial.

Disney's Genie+ booking window shouldn't be dictating the resort cancellation policy. I thought the days of ridiculous policies were gone once Chapek was pushed out....clearly that isn't the case.

LSLS

It will be interesting to see if this does indeed do that. The thing with Genie is that you make a selection, and then can't make another til you have used your first. Is that going away? Do you get X number of pre-arrival selections? Or do you get unlimited on everything? As designed, I don't think this cuts down on screen time one bit. People who think this is a must have already get it before heading to the parks. Others wait to see how the park day goes anyways.

PREMiERdrum

The thing with Genie is that you make a selection, and then can't make another til you have used your first.
You can make your next Genie+ selection either after you've used your previous one *or* if it's been 2 hours since you booked your previous one. A small clarification, but with the current system you should be selected new attractions at least every 2 hours.

Jrb1979

As much as I want to get off of my phone while in the parks, I’m not feeling great about this. Just not sure how many advance reservations they’re actually going to allow. With FastPass+ it was three which was a nice start, but that can really limit you if you get a later one and have to use all three before making another. Should be interesting!
In all honesty they can't really allow more than your first one each day. They don't have to capacity to go back to 3 each day.

Sir_Cliff

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't like getting up 7am every day on vacation, so if they have to have this Genie+ system, I would prefer to be able to reserve in advance. Overall, I still prefer Paris where the upcharge options are kept to a relatively simple flat priority pass or having the choice to buy one for individual attractions as you go without having to buy Genie+.

ToTBellHop

This is never going to last. Not only is this not competitive and bucks the resort/hotel industry trend on cancellation policies, but this also defies logic in the sense that most people who cancel trips at the 5 day mark do it for legitimate reasons (i.e. sickness, weather related concerns, or last minute work or family emergencies). 8 days is too far out to take those into consideration. The amount of call volume from guests who will be begging to have their reservations cancelled with no penalty will be substantial.

Disney's Genie+ booking window shouldn't be dictating the resort cancellation policy. I thought the days of ridiculous policies were gone once Chapek was pushed out....clearly that isn't the case.
Get travel insurance. Just like when booking a cruise with its extended cancellation window.

ToTBellHop

In all honesty they can't really allow more than your first one each day. They don't have to capacity to go back to 3 each day.
Yes they do. Fewer people get Genie than used FP+.

More interesting will be if they allow guests at deluxe resorts to book more. It has always puzzled me that they are considering that because it’s not free anymore. Will you pay $25 at All-Star Music to book 2 rides per day but $25 at Contemporary to book 4 per day?

LSLS

You can make your next Genie+ selection either after you've used your previous one *or* if it's been 2 hours since you booked your previous one. A small clarification, but with the current system you should be selected new attractions at least every 2 hours.
Right, but question remains. Would it work that every 2 hours for 7 days before a trip you could make your selection? Just doesn't feel like this solves much in terms of people on their phones non-stop, and certainly doesn't feel like it makes things easier. It just feels like the system would need a major overhaul to make it work (and maybe that is what's in the cards, I have no idea).

PREMiERdrum

Right, but question remains. Would it work that every 2 hours for 7 days before a trip you could make your selection? Just doesn't feel like this solves much in terms of people on their phones non-stop, and certainly doesn't feel like it makes things easier. It just feels like the system would need a major overhaul to make it work (and maybe that is what's in the cards, I have no idea).
The goal of these changes (as far as I can tell - it's a long list of change options proposed and I don't know for sure what's in the final plan) isn't to reduce the screen time necessary to operate the system. The changes are specifically aimed at frustration with the 7 a.m. start time (and the associated WiFi/tech challenges for onsite guests).

Purduevian

I'm assuming its 1 of 2 systems:

1. Make your first G+ reservation for each day of your vacation at 7am 7 days before your check in day.
    1. Your next G+ reservation will be day of either 2 hours after park open, or after you use your initial reservation
    2. Rinse and repeat just like current G+
  2. Make 3-tiered G+ reservations for each day of your vacation at 7am 7 days before your check in day.
    1. 1 LL from the tier 1 attractions (really tier 2 attractions below ILL), and 2 from the remaining attractions.
    2. You can book additional LLs after you use the 3rd attraction, regardless of tiers (Exactly the same as old FP+)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom