Disney World during thanksgiving

Belle_Fan778

Hey Everybody,
Normally I go to WDW in May but my sister and I are planing a trip in Nov. the week of Thanksgiving. I heard that it can get crowded that week, but how crowded are we talking here? Christmas- New Years crowded or July-August crowded? Does anybody have tips for WDW during this week? Also, will the Holiday decorations be up yet? Thank you for answering my question!

DisneyDellsDude

I went for Thanksgiving last year, expecting huge crowds; but it never happened. (at least what we saw)

We went to Epcot Thanksgiving day, and then went back to Polynesian for the afternoon.

We usually go in late October or early December, but I thought that the crowds for Thanksgiving last year were not that bad.

Upvote 0

gbruenin

We've been there twice for Thanksgiving and Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon following. First, be sure to make reservations for dinners if you want table service...they were really booked all weekend. As to crowds, Thanksgiving Day itself wasn't really too crowded. Fri/Sat/Sun was full, at all the parks. By Monday, (actually Sunday late in the day into the evening) weekend travelers had mostly disappeared and most all attractions were walk-on. This was also the week where all the broadcast networks filmed their 'Christmas Day' shows...not just ABC, but other language/country as well.

Decorations were all up, Candlelight Processional had started, and Mickey's Christmas Party events were in swing.

In my opinion, probably the best time of year to be there.

Hope this helps. Gary

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We were there for Thanksgiving '04. We arrived on the Friday before Thanksgiving, and we left on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

The place was empty up until the day before Thanksgiving. We rode everything with little to no wait. It was crazy. Yet, it seemed all the festivities were starting to kick in. The Christmas Tree appeared in our hotel (CSR) almost over night, and the lights/theming seemed to multiply each day.
But, on the day before Thanksgiving, and continuing throughout the rest of our trip, the place was much, much more crowded. Was it as crowded as this past DEC/JAN around New Year's Eve? NO WAY. But, it seemed terribly packed around Thanksgiving, in our opinions, only because it was so empty just days prior.

Either way, you get the best of both worlds. I loved the timing, and we'll be doing it again someday...

Upvote 0

kachow

My wife and I are going Thanksgiving morning and staying through the following Wednesday, and are excited to see the changeover throughout the parks and resorts. As others have mentioned, we've made ADR's at all our preferred dinner spots already, except for our Candlelight Processional dinner, since they're not available yet. I would imagine Thanksgiving day dinner reservations, especially, are a must. Check the menus though, because most have a special Thanksgiving menu, and we found the types of food offered varied greatly depending on the restaurant. We were actually looking for a restaurant that WASN'T serving entirely traditional Thanksgiving food, since we're not huge fans of that stuff, and there are many restaurants that continue to serve their regular menu items in a addition to holiday specialties.

We looked at touringplans.com's daily crowd level chart, and last year it appeared the Thurs, Fri, and Sat were high crowd levels, but then starting Sunday it dropped way down.

Upvote 0

Simba's Mom

I went for Thanksgiving last year, expecting huge crowds; but it never happened. (at least what we saw)

We went to Epcot Thanksgiving day, and then went back to Polynesian for the afternoon.

We usually go in late October or early December, but I thought that the crowds for Thanksgiving last year were not that bad.
That was our experience to-"Where are the big crowds?" The weather was perfect. I'd love to go back for Thanksgiving, but we live so far away we have to fly, and airfare over Thanksgiving is very expensive from here.

Upvote 0

KrazyKowboy

WDW at Thanksgiving

Our family visited WDW in '04 and '05 arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving and staying until the following Saturday. We have our trip booked for the same week again this year.

In '04 the parks were virtually desolate and never waited more than 10 minutes on any attraction. The weather was warm, mornings in the 60's and afternoons up to 80. We even did an afternoon at Typhoon Lagoon on Dec.1 and it was in the 80's and uncrowded. Dining was never a problem and room rates were lower too.

In '05 the crowds seemed to be a bit heavier especially the Saturday and Sunday following Thansgiving. I think a lot of it has to do with post 9/11 and people are a little more comfortable with the risk of travel now than immediately following 9/11.

All the parks are beautiful with the holiday decorations, you can see the Osborne Lights, the holiday parades are special and you won't have as much trouble getting a curbside view. Several times we did Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and others like TOT, and Aerosmith's and just got right back on without a wait. Even at Epcot, Soarin, Test Track, and Mission Space were only 10 minute waits in standby. We never had to use a FastPass.

The parks do close a bit earlier, but you more than make up for it with the shorter lines. I can't imagine how miserable it must be to stand in the summer heat for 2 hours listening to whining kids that are tired, hot, and thirsty waiting to ride. I would not go through the torture if they were giving free admission!

Just another note, seing all the characters in their holiday outfits is special too. It really adds a special feeling to the Christmas Season for us.

I've got quite a few pictures posted that will show you how nice and pretty Disney is during the holidays. Enjoy them here :
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=38041&cat=500

Upvote 0

metscool

I went to WDW the day of thanksgiving back in the year 2000. I came in that day and it was crowded. I have been to Disney during Aug. and July and it was about the same in crowd controll. The day after the lights and the Xmas stuff is up. it is cool coming down to the lobby and seeing all the Xmas stuff up. It is like an early Xmas.

Upvote 0

jim1051

we went thankgiving in 2000 as well. Crowds were big but not unbearable and nothing like Easter 2005. Do plan your restauant dinners. Using early mornings and fastpass, we were able to avoid most long waits.

Upvote 0

tamibar

we will be in florida from nov 19 to 29. we will be at wdw on tues and weds leaving on thanksgiving. how are crowds then. also, will the holiday decorations be up before thanksgiving? if not, i might change our dates.

Upvote 0

DDuckFan130

We've been taking these trips for a few years now and love it. We leave Thanksgiving morning and come back Sunday night. The crowds are manageable, the weather is nice, and the Christmas decorations are up. It's a perfect time to go!

Have a great trip! :)

Upvote 0

Shaman

We've been taking these trips for a few years now and love it. We leave Thanksgiving morning and come back Sunday night. The crowds are manageable, the weather is nice, and the Christmas decorations are up. It's a perfect time to go!

Have a great trip! :)

I agree...the crowds aren't all that bad, November is a great month to head to WDW.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom