Disney World Cancels Popular Christian Concert

MAGICFLOP

Original Poster
I came across an article today. I have posted many times in here that I am not a fan of Disney's new moral compass. I think this article sums up exactly my inner concerns. I see a moral deterioration in the Disney movies and TV shows. I assume I will be blasted for saying this and no I am not some kind of a prude, but Disney has always been a bastion of family and a wholesome moral example.

I some how feel that such an event would be cancelled if it was a religion other than the new socially acceptable whipping boy religion...

I am just interested if others have noticed this slide..

https://www.toddstarnes.com/show/disney-world-cancels-popular-christian-concert/

TwilightZone

1) This is already a thread
2) Canceling a concert, even a Christian one =/= bad morals. If you have been to one of these, have heard stories about one of these, or had a friend who have been to one of these, you would know how messed up park goers have been during these. Not exactly the behavior God (or anyone else) would like.

The Empress Lilly

I see a moral deterioration in Disney too.

In movies from the 1950's subversive mushroom trip of Alice to kowtowing to the 2000's 'omg think of the children!'-crowd.
In the parks, in the MK, from Toad's wild ride to hell and Pirates' drunken pillage fest to toddler 'everything must be fit for preschoolers' toontown. No backbone, no principles.

:p

gsimpson

Not to put too fine a point on it but Disney's morals have been of convenience for a long time. They owned Mirimax when Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill movies came out, not exactly family fare. I wouldn't put much into them canceling the night of joy, from every cast member it created a lot of issues and it probably just reached a point where it didn't make enough money. Disney adds and cancels things all the time, I doubt the decision had any Christian/anti-Christian factor in it at all.

Walt Disney1955

If I recall there is still the Candlelight concert at Epcot, no? Maybe the numbers just weren't there for this thing. Yes Disney's values are worse than they ever have been, that doesn't come into question at all I don't think. Walt's standards for TV and family friendly shows trump what they see today.

I am not sure how much of a Christian Walt was himself, I have read various reports on it, but there is one thing for sure, on opening day in 1955 at Disneyland Walt brought a minister (his nephew actually) to pray over the park at the opening ceremony. It is all on Youtube. So there certainly was a "blessing" on the park back then. I don't know if Disney still follows that template today but it is interesting to note that it is part of its roots.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

If I recall there is still the Candlelight concert at Epcot, no? Maybe the numbers just weren't there for this thing. Yes Disney's values are worse than they ever have been, that doesn't come into question at all I don't think. Walt's standards for TV and family friendly shows trump what they see today.

I am not sure how much of a Christian Walt was himself, I have read various reports on it, but there is one thing for sure, on opening day in 1955 at Disneyland Walt brought a minister (his nephew actually) to pray over the park at the opening ceremony. It is all on Youtube. So there certainly was a "blessing" on the park back then. I don't know if Disney still follows that template today but it is interesting to note that it is part of its roots.
I've always noticed in the prototype city portion of the People Mover the model city that it shows has churches on each end of it that are represented by 2 big crosses. I've honestly been surprised that people haven't complained about it since people seem to complain about everything else and just figured all the people in the Chip On Their Shoulder Brigade would feel it's not "inclusive" or whatever. I've also wondered if that's the only presence of crosses in the parks but have never really looked deeply enough to know. I'm actually a baptist preacher myself but have never done the Night Of Joy thing but seems like I've heard both good and bad reviews on it. Whether Disney is as "moral" as they used to appear to be or not I'm sure people would disagree with but I don't see how anyone can argue they are as "traditional" as they used to be. I definitely don't think they're nearly as conservative as they once were and are much more "postmodern" than they used to be. It wasn't too long ago that they showed two boys kissing on a Disney XD cartoon but it used to be traditional roles and stories like the hero saving the princess, the parents always being right and not complete dunces, lines in the sand between what's right and wrong, etc. Bob Iger himself is very open about the fact that he's a liberal and that's his personal right. I'm just saying is all.

EmmaPan

I came across an article today. I have posted many times in here that I am not a fan of Disney's new moral compass. I think this article sums up exactly my inner concerns. I see a moral deterioration in the Disney movies and TV shows. I assume I will be blasted for saying this and no I am not some kind of a prude, but Disney has always been a bastion of family and a wholesome moral example.

I some how feel that such an event would be cancelled if it was a religion other than the new socially acceptable whipping boy religion...

I am just interested if others have noticed this slide..

https://www.toddstarnes.com/show/disney-world-cancels-popular-christian-concert/

NO!

This was my absolute favorite show in the entire town and I traveled hundreds of dollars a couple years ago simply in order to view this masterpiece i am extremely disappointed that disney now caters to such monstrosity of an audience.

i am never visiting the disney parks
agaion.

Walt Disney1955

I've always noticed in the prototype city portion of the People Mover the model city that it shows has churches on each end of it that are represented by 2 big crosses. I've honestly been surprised that people haven't complained about it since people seem to complain about everything else and just figured all the people in the Chip On Their Shoulder Brigade would feel it's not "inclusive" or whatever. I've also wondered if that's the only presence of crosses in the parks but have never really looked deeply enough to know. I'm actually a baptist preacher myself but have never done the Night Of Joy thing but seems like I've heard both good and bad reviews on it. Whether Disney is as "moral" as they used to appear to be or not I'm sure people would disagree with but I don't see how anyone can argue they are as "traditional" as they used to be. I definitely don't think they're nearly as conservative as they once were and are much more "postmodern" than they used to be. It wasn't too long ago that they showed two boys kissing on a Disney XD cartoon but it used to be traditional roles and stories like the hero saving the princess, the parents always being right and not complete dunces, lines in the sand between what's right and wrong, etc. Bob Iger himself is very open about the fact that he's a liberal and that's his personal right. I'm just saying is all.

Hmmm...................never noticed the crosses on the model city. I'll look closer. Yeah, people being people you figure they'd complain about it, although I don't know why they would. Then again the odd person might complain that Main Street U.S.A. does not have a church. To me, I say, whatever. Maybe Marceline didn't have a church on its main street, I don't know.

There are plenty of times Disney shows its conservative roots though. Heck, I was there are Christmas time last year and it isn't as if they are celebrating Ramadan or anything. It's Christmas plain and simple. They play Christmas carols. I was standing in front of the Castle last year when the song "O Come Little Children" was playing. It was actually quite beautiful. This is a song about baby Jesus for crying out loud! People survived, go figure.

Heck, Abraham Lincoln in Hall of Presidents says "I know God and I believe he hates slavery.................."

So stuff like that is there even if people don't always see it.

MrConbon

NO!

This was my absolute favorite show in the entire town and I traveled hundreds of dollars a couple years ago simply in order to view this masterpiece i am extremely disappointed that disney now caters to such monstrosity of an audience.

i am never visiting the disney parks
agaion.

Cool, bye

mj2v

As a Christian, it hurts my ears when a fellow Christian starts about being marginalized and victimized (unless you are somewhere like Egypt where people are literally killing Christians among other places). I may have missed the part where Jesus said to be upset when someone doesn’t say Merry Christmas... or have a concert, or .....

It’s not the end of the world. Mercy me is playing Epcot, we still have the Candlelight etc, which is great overall. BTW, I actually enjoy the other holiday experiences at Epcot, getting to see how other religions celebrate.

Disney ended grad nights and many other events. It all comes down to what makes sense. NOJ was doomed by moving it to ESPN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom