Disney With No Cell Phone, No Gadgets, No Camera...

The Empress Lilly

Semi-important people need to be available to their clients at all times.

Really important people...well, it is the rest of the world that has to worry about being available to them.

Consequently, my phone is off when I'm relaxing. Just so I can pretend I'm important. :)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I only carry my phone which is HARDLY used and it does not bother me in the slightest. If it were not for it being my source of time telling I would not carry it. My father's job has him set as a very important person. He leaves his phone in the room. Why? He is on vacation and not being paid to take calls. That is why there are individuals under him qualified to carry out his responsibilities when unavailable.

luv

I did this a lot before Lines. Now, when I go without the phone, about half the time I end up sorry I didn't bring it.

But I don't chat on the phone, text or otherwise keep my attention on my phone instead of the world around and people with me.

I feel badly for people who spend their lives inside their phones. I know a person like that. It's craziness.

pixiesteno

we have done this on numerous occasions while in the parks, it is wonderful! We usually take a camera and use it for part of the time in the parks. We only have the cell phone on once a day if possible to check in at home with pet sitter. Now, when DS was in college in Fl and supposed to be meeting us we kept the cell phone on. I just love the ability to breeze through the security without a bag and just live in the moment at the parks, it is very relaxing.
We own a business and we ususally were on-call for vacation/conferences and there was no relaxation! Two years ago we closed down for two weeks did not check email or anything - a real vacation and it was so worth it. We will do this again next year.

Susan Savia

We always carry a cell phone and a camera. Cell phone comes in hand for texting another in our family to meet here or there, or find each other. Camera - well there's always that chance you'll run into that special character you've not seen before or something out of the ordinary. We also have the 2 way radios, but haven't used them in a while.

Goofyernmost

When I first started going to the parks, there was no such thing as a cell phone. They had pay phones scattered about in the parks but those were only good if you wanted to call out. The hotels had message capacity so everyone knew that you could be reached, but they never knew when you would be able to reply. Somehow, we managed to survive. I owned a business at the time too. I would check in once a day to see if there were any problems and then shut my mind to all of it. I do tend to agree though that now, since I have been using a cell phone, I kind of feel lost without it. I bring one in my pocket, on vibrate, but hardly ever look at it.

Gadgets didn't exist either. I see so many posting asking the question...what can we do to entertain the kids while in line. That kind of makes me smile. This was also pre-fastpass time as well, so according to folks now the lines were soooo much longer. (not true btw) We all talked to people in front of us or behind us. The kids did what every kid has done since the beginning of time...the fidgeted. But they also survived. I seems to me that you vacation in a spot like WDW to get away from the world and I can't think of any reason why I would want to bring it in with me.

I was never much of a picture taker. I always found out that over time I would forget when they were taken or what was the reason for it, so I got to the point of not even bringing a camera in with me unless there was something special I wanted to photograph. Back in the day, I remember people bringing in those huge video recorders that had a suitcase sized power pack. They lugged that crap around all day long. There was nothing, I repeat, nothing that I ever would have wanted to photograph or film that badly. I remember a time when while riding PoTC some guy was filming things with this huge bank of flood lights on as bright as the sun. The ride was stopped and announcements were made to turn off the camera. The lights would go off and as soon as the ride started again, on they went. We must have stopped 5 times before they got the message to shut it down. That was just in the beginning of the ride before the drop. I don't think they could have stopped it after the drop.

All those words to just say...I have no need for any of that stuff, so I look at WDW with my eyes instead of through a camera lens. It's much more fun that way.

Disnee4Me

Hard as it may be, I could probably put down the camera, but the ONLY reason I would carry my cell phone is we are a family of four and sometimes the kids want to do something and my husband doesn't (like rock-n-roller coaster), so rather than have him wait while we ride, he is free to go wherever he wants and we just call when we get off and reconnect. I know if I didn't want to go on a ride, especially one that tends to have a long line, I couldn't just sit there waiting, I'd have to go shopping in one of the stores.:)

SulleyanBoo

I could leave the cell phone, but my camera is glued at my hip EVERYWHERE when we are on our wdw vaca. I would be SO lost without it. Pictures are all a big part of the Disney World expereince in my opinion.

dopeylover

I don't really take my phone w/ me into the parks, I'm trying to enjoy my vacation and being away from distractions! However, I don't think I could part without my camera. The only way I could see parting with it is if I wanted to pay big bucks to buy all my PhotoPass pictures.

Florida_is_hot

I have a great time being totally free of electronic gear.

You talk about Disney and "Magic".

Being aware of your surroundings not being distracted by a cell phone or looking at the place through a view finder should be tried.

Many people go the WDW once or twice a year, every year.
Is there something that new ?

Goofyernmost

I have a great time being totally free of electronic gear.

You talk about Disney and "Magic".

Being aware of your surroundings not being distracted by a cell phone or looking at the place through a view finder should be tried.

Many people go the WDW once or twice a year, every year.
Is there something that new ?

That is something that I found. When I did take pictures, I thought I was being "original" with everyone. When I went through my past albums I found so many duplicate pictures, taken in separate occasions, that I finally decided that I had all the photo's I would ever need.

Cell Phones are quite handy when traveling with a group of people. It's how we were able to go our own way and then meet up with others easily. For that I highly recommend it.

ginadee

I have sooo many pics of Disney in albums and books and scrapbooks that I look forward to going with no camera and just enjoy. Of course that would be the day there is a star sighting or I get in the parade or on stage or something. I am also never without my phone because I always think what if the worst happened. Kidnapped, lost, terrorist. So that being said I would love to have a day at disney with nothing to carry but just dont know if I'll do it.

EOD K9

This past October my wife and I went bag free for a change. We didn't need to bring a bag with cameras, etc. into the parks. It was nice to walk past the security hosts for a change. Among WDW, DL, and DLP, I have been to those properties a combined 30 times. When I look at my pics, they are all the same shot. I looked at my parents' pics from the early 80s, and my father and I practically took the same shots 30 years apart. With the cell, I still have contact if need be, and my camera is there for something spontaneous. For me though, the camera is really not needed.

PUSH

I never use my cell phone at the park, I only have it with in case of emergency. As for the camera, that's just silly.

copcarguyp71

Just curious what kind of emergency would/could happen in the parks that you would need the cell phone for? I guess if you stay offsite and drive in then maybe but I have never felt quite as safe anywhere else on vacation as I do in Disney, there are cast members like every two feet.

Graham9

One of the reasons I come to WDW is to take pictures so I won't even think about being without my camera. My phone is around, but strictly for emergencies only. Apart from that, I bring my money and my Mickey-ears, which are essential. :)

PUSH

Just curious what kind of emergency would/could happen in the parks that you would need the cell phone for? I guess if you stay offsite and drive in then maybe but I have never felt quite as safe anywhere else on vacation as I do in Disney, there are cast members like every two feet.

Something back home could happen, someone in your group might have gotten lost and you can call them, etc. It's not just emergencies. If your group splits ways, it's easier to meet back up somewhere. Just because you have it with you doesn't mean you have to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom