Disney With No Cell Phone, No Gadgets, No Camera...

Bob Saget

Original Poster
Once while in line for Soarin', I overheard a gentleman telling his group: "I did not bring anything into the park this time except money for food. No cell phone, no camera, no nonsense.."

My first thought was: How silly?
What do you mean no cell phone? What if you need to call/text someone while at the park? How will you capture the memories without a camera of sorts? This is crazy!

Then I thought on it some more. This conversation stuck with me until I finally realized, no, this is not crazy at all...this is brilliant! What an amazing feeling it would be to experience the parks with no outside distractions of any kind. And that's saying a lot in this day & age. No cell phone. No camera or other gadget. We get so used to having our phones by our side 24/7. But to escape all that at the parks and just be you in the environment. Would you ever try a day like this? Have you ever tried a day like this?

FettFan

I can agree with no cell phone (phones in movie theaters are annoying enough. If I see the glow of some moron's cellular lighting up the POTC caverns, they won't need Typhoon Lagoon to go swimming) or gadgets (Ive seen people tinkering with handheld GPS units in the park. in today's overly techno-electronic age, apparently nobody knows how to use a paper map anymore)...but no camera?

I mean, either a camera or a video camera is kind of a necessity. Photopass CMs can't be everywhere at once, and there are always chances of unscripted Disney randomness breaking out when you least expect.

real mad hatter

Comming from the UK,my mobile is in my glove compartment in my car at Glasgow airport.I also did not take my beloved I- Pad it stays at home.I do take my handy cam & camera which are so small,I've got to wear glasses to see them.;)

JCtheparrothead

The best part of my vacation is puttin the cell phone away at least for a couple days. That means no emails from work, no texts from my employees, no meeting reminders. I truly try to unplug and for me it makes it " magical".

MattC

I use my phone for checking wait times at the parks. I also use a ride tracker app. That is something my wife and I have done since we were dating. The app records dates and times we have been on rides. It's fun to look and see how many times we have been on things and when. Brings back memories. However, I do not answer calls or text. It has to be a real emergency for me to respond.

copcarguyp71

Having my own business for the past thirteen years the cell phone has been the bane of my existence and my lifeline to my customers all wrapped up in one. This past vacation I turned it off and left it in the safe at the room for the ENTIRE vacation....it was the best, most relaxing one I have had in 13 years! I plan on doing it again every vacation we take no matter where we go from here on out.

Dasnowz

I have to take my phone in :-( When I go to play for the day I usually have 4 teenagers with me. They split off into 2 groups of 2 and do their own thing. I do my own thing. We are always in the same park but use phones to find each other or if someone needs something.

eeyoremum

We don't own a cell phone so that is not an issue. I have though often wondered about not taking a camera. I am a photo junkie and have often wondered what it would be like if I just left the camera at home. I am pretty sure that life as I know it will carry on but have never wanted to take the chance. o_O

powlessfamily4

Yes, I have gone "battery" free in EPCOT and insisted my family do the same.It was my husband, son and daughter. It was great not having to keep up with all of the gadgets. I explained to my kids that this was how my family took vacations back in the olden days. You stuck together and it was just the family and Moms trusty Polaroid one step instant camera. (Yes that right, within 5 mins you knew if it turned out or if you had to take another one.) I told everyone if we get separated go stand at "the big ball", this said for DH sake, and we will find you. To make a long story short we searched for 2 hours for DH who snuck back to the resort for a long nap.

wiigirl

Remember the days when everyone carried those awful 2-way radio things?

lol....:p
75.gif

wendysue

Once while in line for Soarin', I overheard a gentleman telling his group: "I did not bring anything into the park this time except money for food. No cell phone, no camera, no nonsense.."

My first thought was: How silly?
What do you mean no cell phone? What if you need to call/text someone while at the park? How will you capture the memories without a camera of sorts? This is crazy!

Then I thought on it some more. This conversation stuck with me until I finally realized, no, this is not crazy at all...this is brilliant! What an amazing feeling it would be to experience the parks with no outside distractions of any kind. And that's saying a lot in this day & age. No cell phone. No camera or other gadget. We get so used to having our phones by our side 24/7. But to escape all that at the parks and just be you in the environment. Would you ever try a day like this? Have you ever tried a day like this?

I never take my cell phone to the park. I don't really need a camera any longer since I have hundreds of pics already. It's so much nicer not to have to keep track of other stuff. I just take my money and room card.....

Vader2112

Unfortunately I have not in recent years. Even on vacations many companies demand that you are available by phone in case of an "emergency." I tend not to look at my phone/email while on rides , or visiting other attractions. I try to wait and check my email once I am back at my room and the kids are asleep. I guess If I do a Disney cruise I can claim I had no signal..

Vader2112

Funny you mention that I had thought about bringing the set I have been unsuccessfully trying to leave the cell phones at home on a trip. I figure they could be useful as my son and daughter do not always like to do the same things. They are much better than even 10 years ago small light weight and a 30 mile range.

minniemickeyfan

I've actually seen people carrying those still today!

I took a trip not long ago with those that used their phone to text and post to facebook-how annoying! You're on vacation, the last thing I want to do is stare at a cell phone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom