Disney with a 16 monthold-suggestions & is it do-able?

mickey-nut

Hi again!

If we go back in May we will have our 8 yr old son, 5 yr old son and our 16 monthold daughter(ages as of May 2004). For those who have travelled with toddlers-any advice? We will also have both grandmom's with us. I know it wold be better when she is older but my 2 boys really want to go back and we want to take our mom's while they can still handle and enjoy Disney. All advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

Bagheera

As I posted in this related thread, which may be of interest,

"My son has been to WDW at 12 months, 19 months, 4 years, 4-1/2 years, and will be back at 5 years. He's also been to DL at 2-1/2 years. My recommendation to people is always "If you're only going to be able to afford to go once or twice in their lifetime, wait until they're about 4 or 5. If you're going to keep going back, just go whenever." As long as you're prepared to either skip the thrill rides or do the baby swap thing, no worries!"

I'll add to that info that, if you have grandmas with you, then you've really got no worries, since they'll be able to do something with whichever kid(s) don't want to/can't go on a particular ride. Just remember to take it easy. If you push kids too far, you just get miserable kids. Better to miss some attractions than have a day that's only remembered for the meltdown that this one had, or the argument you had with that one, just because everyone was too tired. Have fun!

Upvote 0

mickey-nut

Original Poster
Thank you for directing me to the same type question. I didn't bother to scan thru the questions to even see if there was one similar to mine. This made me feel a alot better withthe decision to take her at such a young age. We will take our time and whatever we do not see this time we will see the next. Thanks for your response!:)

Upvote 0

kosherkid411

Originally posted by Bagheera
As I posted in this related thread, which may be of interest,

"My son has been to WDW at 12 months, 19 months, 4 years, 4-1/2 years, and will be back at 5 years. He's also been to DL at 2-1/2 years. My recommendation to people is always "If you're only going to be able to afford to go once or twice in their lifetime, wait until they're about 4 or 5. If you're going to keep going back, just go whenever." As long as you're prepared to either skip the thrill rides or do the baby swap thing, no worries!"

I'll add to that info that, if you have grandmas with you, then you've really got no worries, since they'll be able to do something with whichever kid(s) don't want to/can't go on a particular ride. Just remember to take it easy. If you push kids too far, you just get miserable kids. Better to miss some attractions than have a day that's only remembered for the meltdown that this one had, or the argument you had with that one, just because everyone was too tired. Have fun!

DITTO

There isn't any better way to put it. That was always my parents philosiphy when my sibs and I were younger.

Upvote 0

spcjq

I took a 16 month old and 4 year old last October and both had a wonderful time! I had planned to leave the parks early in the afternoon for naps but found that my youngest would always fall asleep and nap in my DH's arms sometime in the late morning. This allowed us to continue touring in the afternoon. We would just try to find something we could do while sitting to save DHs arms!

My 16 month old really enjoyed the parks. After a couple of days she really warmed up to the characters (we did a lot of character dining). She fell in love with Mickey, too and would cry "Minnie, Minnie!" whenever we saw him.

One bit of advice I would give is that if it is possible, bring your own stroller. My 16 month old was not happy in the double stroller we rented for our kids and the rental strollers do not recline for naps. We would have had an easier time touring if we had not had to carry her so much of the way!

I do recommend taking a child this age. Have a good time!

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

I've related this a few time, but happy to do it again.

Last year we took our 13 month old daughter on her first WDW trip, it was our 4th or 5th for the rest of us.

The only pitfalls we had were that we really didn't think adaquately about what to give her to drink. So it took us two days or so to figure that she loved Apple Juice and Ice mixed in her bottle. It kept her cool and hydrated. 1 regular bottle of juice would do about 3 10oz bottles when mixed with ice and the ice would melt pretty quick so it watered down the juice and kept it cool.

The only other thing to say is be prepared to NOT get onto all the attractions you want to. Having achild that young with you can scupper plans to do certain things. Obviously you need to prioritise around them, rather than your desire to run ToT or Pirates.

That said, we were pretty adventurous with her and she LOVED every ride she went on, even the haunted house! This is obviously a matter for each parent to assess their child and make an infomred decision. NO ONE can tell you what is best for YOUR child in this regard. I would never suggest forcing them onto a ride, but if they happy to get on then go for it!!!

Lastly, don't let ANYONE tell you that a toddler doesn't get anything out of WDW and won't remember the trip. Our daughter loved the trip and, now that she is 2 and can talk, is very animated in looking forward to returning in October.

Our 7 year old son, who was only 2 on his first trip, still remembers that one and the 3 that followed it. He's right in there with the planning for this trip!

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Originally posted by Catch 22

The only other thing to say is be prepared to NOT get onto all the attractions you want to. Having achild that young with you can scupper plans to do certain things. Obviously you need to prioritise around them, rather than your desire to run ToT or Pirates.

Yes! Prepare for scuppering of plans. :lookaroun :lol: ;)

No, it's true... having kids with you will make it so that you may have to miss some attractions, or ride them seperately. I, myself, enjoy taking a couple hours alone to go where I please anyhow. So it all works out. Have fun! I'll be there in October with an 8 year old, a 6 year old, a 4 year old, and a 20 month old!! :eek: and probably :hammer: but I can't wait!!

Upvote 0

Loumom23

We're leaving Aug. 4 for a week with our daughters, ages 16, 14 and 16 month old. We were there in 1989 when the other 2 were 2 1/2 and 12 months. We had a good time. One day, I took the older one into the MK while my husband kept the baby in the room so she could take a good nap. You just have to follow their lead.

This time, the two older ones can go do their own thing and I can fool with the baby. She's also recovering from major surgery she had two weeks ago, although you can't tell from looking at her. Kids are so resilient! I'm taking her own stroller which reclines, so if she falls asleep in the parks, she can just nap there.

You should have a great time! Disney is really magical for them at that age.

Lynn

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom