Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Surferboy567

There have been questions whether GoTG are considered part of the Avengers family as noted in Marvel's 1995 contract with Universal. Did including those characters in the last 2 Avengers films retroactively make them part of the Avengers? I'm sure TWDC lawyers answered that question prior to construction of the ride.

That being said, I know many would like to see a race themed to that IP include more than just GoTG - imagine if Disney could capitalize on Wanda Maximoff with a race theme.
This is such an interesting discussion to have. Technically, they fought alongside the Avengers, but they aren’t actual Avengers. Rocket did wear the Avengers uniform on the mission to get the Reality stone. Not sure if that counts it really is hard to tell what makes someone an Avenger. This discussion could also extend to other heroes such as Black Panther. Wanda I feel is an Avenger because she stayed in Avengers compound and was technically an member of the team.

Not really sure how Disney decides these things and if the deal has a role in the decision making process.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not really sure how Disney decides these things and if the deal has a role in the decision making process

The guys with the initials "JD" after their name decides them.... I guarantee before Disney purchased Marvel Studios, that Universal contract was thoroughly reviewed.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I wouldn't hold my breath for wine/dine happening. Here's my predictions:
Summer Virtual - announced soon to "appease" us
Wine/Dine - virtual
Marathon - in-person, limited registrants + virtual option
Princess and all races going forward - in person + virtual option

I guarantee you the virtual option is saving rD right now financially and they'll offer it going forward. Will that "cheapen" the in-person exclusivity feeling? absoultely. Will I continue to run in-person. For sure.

GimpYancIent

Hey! Fellow runners since everyone is getting positive about the return of live events, hence return of EXPO's, which translates to merch which includes SHOES how about planting a small seed in Disney's head? It has not been too long ago that New Balance had a deal going with Disney generating limited edition themed shoes specific for Disney races. Could it be possible for a name athletic shoe manufacturer to generate exclusive Disney themed running shoes for run Disney events? New Balance had great designs for the first two years then stumbled that does not mean the shoes have to be New Balance nor that the concept of Disney themed running shoes cannot make a come back. Such a resurrection would coincide very well with a return to run Disney live on property races. Just saying.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hey! Fellow runners since everyone is getting positive about the return of live events, hence return of EXPO's, which translates to merch which includes SHOES how about planting a small seed in Disney's head? It has not been too long ago that New Balance had a deal going with Disney generating limited edition themed shoes specific for Disney races. Could it be possible for a name athletic shoe manufacturer to generate exclusive Disney themed running shoes for run Disney events? New Balance had great designs for the first two years then stumbled that does not mean the shoes have to be New Balance nor that the concept of Disney themed running shoes cannot make a come back. Such a resurrection would coincide very well with a return to run Disney live on property races. Just saying.

Brooks has a number of themed shoes. I'd love it if Brooks partnered with Disney. Not that I'm biased towards Brooks.... *looks in closet, sees 5 Brooks shoe boxes*

Surferboy567

Watch Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2, there are plenty of characters.
Yes, but they aren’t characters popular enough to theme a race around. As a huge marvel fan wouldn’t mind a Adam Warlock themed race but the general public doesn’t know who he is yet. Volume 3 may change that, I don’t think they have enough characters to do a full guardians race weekend as a recurring theme.

Rteetz

Wine/Dine - virtual

I guarantee you the virtual option is saving rD right now financially and they'll offer it going forward. Will that "cheapen" the in-person exclusivity feeling? absoultely. Will I continue to run in-person. For sure.
I honestly think the opposite. I don’t think virtuals are working for rD. Not because they aren’t popular but they just aren’t profitable.

Figment82

I’d be very curious how they’d get the expo set up since the lines there can be crazy.

Also in a year they’re cutting costs left and right I just see this as a headache/cost they probably won’t want to take on. I hope I’m wrong.

Also didn’t know people lost their perfect status this year, that’s horrible. I’d be very mad about that.
Wait, they canceled perfect status for all the races? I thought it was only Star Wars since that series was being retired. I sure that’s not the case! 🙁

OG Runner

Wine/Dine - virtual

I pretty much agree, but do have hopes it could be Wine/Dine in-person, limited registrants & virtual option.
The Boston Marathon, that was delayed from April to October has stated it will allow 20,000 in person registrants.
Given things are a bit more open already in Florida, it could be possible.

dreamfinder

I honestly think the opposite. I don’t think virtuals are working for rD. Not because they aren’t popular but they just aren’t profitable.

I'm shocked if they aren't profitable. Disney won't keep doing things if they aren't profitable. Even the cheap no frills 5k at $40 has to make a profit. Pretty much every virtual race is in the $25-40 range, and those usually include a shirt/hoody/hat/whatever in addition to the medal. And $35 to add on a short sleeve tech shirt is just stupid profitable. Heck, you can get a fully sublimated shirt (not just screen print) for $15-20 in quantities of hundreds. And for whatever reason runDisney still charges more for the longer distances, for the same levels of schwag. Heck, I did the B.A.A. #finishstrong challenge, (5k 10k and half) 3 medals, 2 ss & 1 ls shirt, for $129. $20 more than the more magic option for the princess half, 2 extra medals and shirts.

Now not as profitable as an on property event weekend? Sure, I can buy that. It's harder to charge sponsors as much when they really just get a logo on the shirt and a mention in the virtual goody bag. And the merch etc. I think the expo itself is prob break even, the vendors probably cover the cost of the venue and not much else.

Surferboy567

I'm shocked if they aren't profitable. Disney won't keep doing things if they aren't profitable. Even the cheap no frills 5k at $40 has to make a profit. Pretty much every virtual race is in the $25-40 range, and those usually include a shirt/hoody/hat/whatever in addition to the medal. And $35 to add on a short sleeve tech shirt is just stupid profitable. Heck, you can get a fully sublimated shirt (not just screen print) for $15-20 in quantities of hundreds. And for whatever reason runDisney still charges more for the longer distances, for the same levels of schwag. Heck, I did the B.A.A. #finishstrong challenge, (5k 10k and half) 3 medals, 2 ss & 1 ls shirt, for $129. $20 more than the more magic option for the princess half, 2 extra medals and shirts.

Now not as profitable as an on property event weekend? Sure, I can buy that. It's harder to charge sponsors as much when they really just get a logo on the shirt and a mention in the virtual goody bag. And the merch etc. I think the expo itself is prob break even, the vendors probably cover the cost of the venue and not much else.
Agreed with basically everything said here. I definitely think they are profitable. Not as much as live events obviously, but still popular.

Rteetz

Agreed with basically everything said here. I definitely think they are profitable. Not as much as live events obviously, but still popular.
I think that is more so my point. They need to get back to in person. They can't just do virtual and I don't think they really want to do a hybrid model that much either. I would be surprised if they did the hybrid model.

Surferboy567

I think that is more so my point. They need to get back to in person. They can't just do virtual and I don't think they really want to do a hybrid model that much either. I would be surprised if they did the hybrid model.
Yea, I agree they definitely want to get back into live racing it’s their bread and butter no doubt.

Not really sure what the problem is what a hybrid model though. They could just offer different medals or challenges for a virtual that tie in with the actual weekends. Since they are different medals and themes it wouldn’t undercut the themes being used in the live events. Not saying they will do this, but just an idea.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wait, they canceled perfect status for all the races? I thought it was only Star Wars since that series was being retired. I sure that’s not the case! 🙁

I hope not. But if W&D is again virtual in 2021, will they continue perfect status for the Two Course Challenge? Like SW, 2020 was the 5 year anniversary. Will they also ignore 2021 for both Marathon and Princess races and just push everything forward one year?

LAKid53

Premium Member

Congrats on doing Boston, even if virtual!

I got the shirts for this year's virtual Princess. They are no longer the nice performance fabric Champion shirts, but Disney shirts. Fabric is much rougher. So I imagine even cheaper for rD. I'm sure rD is making a small profit. But the company overall isn't pulling in the $$$$$$ it does on race weekends.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yea, I agree they definitely want to get back into live racing it’s their bread and butter no doubt.

Not really sure what the problem is what a hybrid model though. They could just offer different medals or challenges for a virtual that tie in with the actual weekends. Since they are different medals and themes it wouldn’t undercut the themes being used in the live events. Not saying they will do this, but just an idea.

I like this idea.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I pretty much agree, but do have hopes it could be Wine/Dine in-person, limited registrants & virtual option.
The Boston Marathon, that was delayed from April to October has stated it will allow 20,000 in person registrants.
Given things are a bit more open already in Florida, it could be possible.

And, unlike Boston, Disney controls the roads the races are run on.

I'm optimistic that unless things go south over the next few months, especially with the variants, we'll see limited on-property W&D in November.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I think the only part of the Expo that may make a profit is the rD race merchandise. Of course, I'm basing this on the highly scientific statistical method of both crowds at the Arena and the items I purchase on top of what I pre-order. 😉 The only crowds for merchandise at the Visa Center I saw in the past were the New Balance shoes.

Rteetz

I hope not. But if W&D is again virtual in 2021, will they continue perfect status for the Two Course Challenge? Like SW, 2020 was the 5 year anniversary. Will they also ignore 2021 for both Marathon and Princess races and just push everything forward one year?
This was something brought up to runDisney by perfects. Perfects were not required to do the virtual but are required to sign up for the next in person race. If of course the next race is virtual I am not sure what they will do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom