Disney Villas

DimpledDevil18

So in talking to my Dad today about our hopefully upcoming Disney trip in July or August of 2014 my Dad had mentioned that he spoke with a coworker of his who loves Disney and she suggested that we look into staying at one of the Disney Villas. We will be 5-7 adults traveling so it is difficult to find a room that can accomodate us all. On our last trip to Disney we wound up getting three rooms at Pop. On this trip we may have two additional people with us which may possibly mean another room. In looking at the prices for a Villa of the size we would need though the prices seem astronomical!

In your opinion how much worth it is the extra cash? Would we save money just getting multiple rooms at a value or moderate? Also I may be dreaming, but I thought I heard somewhere that you could buy points from DVC members for the Villas. Would it be cheaper if we went that route? And how would we go about finding someone to buy from? Thanks!

Rob562

You can rent points from a DVC member either directly or through a broker. The prices would be a lot lower than the prices you'd be quoted on the WDW website.

Try checking out one of the brokers like David's at www.dvcbyrequest.com
I believe his prices are $13/point, others might be $12.50, and a private direct transaction with a member can often be $10-$11/point, but there's a bit more risk/trust required when doing a direct transaction.

But make sure you read all of the information about renting the points. Most places you have to pay up-front, and cancellation is sometimes not possible. Also, when renting points you're limited to the same booking window as the DVC members. So you can book a resort 11 months from your checkout date if you're renting from a member who owns points from that particular DVC resort, or 7 months out for points from any other resort.

-Rob

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Yes, the 2-bedroom villas are astronomical, typically over $1000/night. For that, you get a master bedroom with king size bed, a second bedroom with either 2 queen beds or 1 queen bed & sleeper sofa, and a combined living room & kitchen with a sleeper sofa. I believe Animal Kingdom Village (AKV) Kidani Village and Bay Lake Tower (BLT) also have a sleeper chair in the living room, for a total of 5 bedding surfaces. Most villas have 2 bathrooms, some have 3.

It's a great arrangement for my family of 6 with 4 teenagers but not sure if it's right for 5-to-7 adults.

If you are talking about mostly adult couples, they might not appreciate sharing a bedroom or sleeping in everyone's living room on a foldout.

As @44443fan suggests, you could try renting points from dvcrequest.com. Their typical rate is $13/point.

The least expensive room and the one that gives you an extra sleeping surface and a third bathroom is a 2-bedroom Standard View Villa at AKV Kidani Village. In July or early August, it's 287 points for a week which, at $13/point, works out to $533/night. If you split that among 3 couples, that's $178/night or about the cost of a room at a Moderate Resort with a 20% off discount, which I believe is what Disney is offering this summer.

For about the price of 3 discounted Moderate Resort rooms, you could stay in a 2-bedroom villa at a Deluxe Resort.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the suggestions. We really would hate to stay off site because we really would like to take advantage of some of the perks of staying on site such as the extra magic hours, free parking, the dining plan, and use of the transportation in case we want to split up. I'll look into renting points when we have more solid dates, but it is looking to me like we may be better off renting 3 rooms at a value resort.

It's a shame that Disney does not do a better job of providing affordable accomodations for families that aren't of your traditional two adults, two small children variety. As odd as it may sound my parents are in their 60's and have 4 kids in their 20's who still enjoy WDW and we all act like little kids when we are there. I know there are the family suites at Art of Animation, but they are still a bit too small for us. I wish there was like a moderately priced suite option for parties of 6 or larger.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

I'll look into renting points when we have more solid dates, but it is looking to me like we may be better off renting 3 rooms at a value resort.
I just had a look for a random week in July when Disney is offering a room discount. A week in a Standard room at All Star Music costs $150/night even with the summer discount. Therefore, 3 rooms are $450/night.

Compare this to renting points at AKV for a 2-bedroom villa (3 rooms). Even at $13/point, that's $533/night. So for about 18% more you can upgrade from a Value Resort to a Deluxe Resort.

With a little bit of shopping on the Internet, you should be able to find something for $11/point. That works out to $451/night or the same price as 3 rooms in a Value Resort.

Upvote 0

Violet

It's a shame that Disney does not do a better job of providing affordable accomodations for families that aren't of your traditional two adults, two small children variety.

Sort of OT, but they don't a variety of options for that demographic. For example, Great Wolf Lodge's rooms have these cute little in-room dens with bunk beds where two kids would get their own space. They work great, the kids can go to sleep a little earlier than the adults, and the adults can chill for a few minutes without the kids before bed. I think Hard Rock at Universal has something similar, some kind of kid suites. Anyway, GL finding something that works for you :)

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I just had a look for a random week in July when Disney is offering a room discount. A week in a Standard room at All Star Music costs $150/night even with the summer discount. Therefore, 3 rooms are $450/night.

Compare this to renting points at AKV for a 2-bedroom villa (3 rooms). Even at $13/point, that's $533/night. So for about 18% more you can upgrade from a Value Resort to a Deluxe Resort.

With a little bit of shopping on the Internet, you should be able to find something for $11/point. That works out to $451/night or the same price as 3 rooms in a Value Resort.

That's actually a really good point. I have to say I would not mind at all staying at a Deluxe Resort since we are Value Resort people. I'll talk it over with my Dad and see. *crosses fingers* We still have a few months to decide before we book anything. It sounds like it's just going to come down to a matter of crunching numbers which will be easier to do once we get a better idea of specific dates.

Upvote 0

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I talked to my Dad earlier today and quoted him the prices that you gave me Parentsof4 and I think he is seriously thinking about it now. Poor Man thought that the values were still $79 a night like they were 5 years ago! He was shocked that they were still $150 a night, but I reminded him that July is peak time so the rooms will be the most expensive. We'll see how it pans out. The values are nice, but I'm really trying to sell him into the Villas at a Deluxe and renting DVC points.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom