News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

prberk

MK July Thursdays 2010/11/12/13 and so on....

The park was open till 11, and in some cases 1 or 2am. Never 10pm.

You want to tell me that the Magic Kingdom closing at 6pm one time in February 1985 is more relevant? Ok, I guess...

It was even dark at 6 p.m. in February 1985... so, it would have been open at night even then!

Sorry, had to. :cool: :)

Clearly I agree with you. The company even uses fireworks over castles as its logo... and they did so for the Wonderful World of Disney in the '70s and the Disneyland show in the '50s. It has always been considered "normal" to see the MK/DL at night as part of a "normal" visit. Any other argument is a stretch, or an attempt to "normalize" the double-dipping they do today.

jt04

It was even dark at 6 p.m. in February 1985... so, it would have been open at night even then!

Sorry, had to. :cool::)

Clearly I agree with you. The company even uses fireworks over castles as its logo... and they did so for the Wonderful World of Disney in the '70s and the Disneyland show in the '50s. It has always been considered "normal" to see the MK/DL at night as part of a "normal" visit. Any other argument is a stretch, or an attempt to "normalize" the double-dipping they do today.

They should and likely will always offer an end of day fireworks/projection show for day tickets.

But the after hours offerings are a great innovation that will have the extra benefit of the continued additions to the parks we are witnessing.

Perhaps the dream of at least a new D ticket attraction opening annually will become a reality.

KikoKea

I remember the park being open until 2am, and my family dragging back to the hotel only to get up for rope drop the next morning or an early flight back home. But, the truth is that Disney is cutting back and those 1 or 2am closings are mostly with a party now. And, there's no parade. And prices went up. And hours have been cut back. And....so on.

I hate to say it, but Disney is a business, and they can run it however they like, and it is up to us to decide if it is worth our time and money. Each person has to decide that for themselves.

Oh, well. Must go- driving down to see Mickey tomorrow!:)

nickys

Premium Member
They should and likely will always offer an end of day fireworks/projection show for day tickets.

On four nights a week from mid August to Christmas, there are no projections and fireworks for day guests though. There are Party nights where they kick out the day guests at 7pm, which is not after dark for at least half the time.

AndyS2992

An interesting concept but sounds half baked to be honest. Should have incorporated most of these additions in the Halloween parties instead.

JohnD

I’m at WDW now through 5/5.. There are three DAH’s during my trip. I’ll miss the AK DAH by a day (5/6). I’m surprised that today’s DAH at HS is not yet sold out. Maybe over saturation?

In my case I’m here a week so figure I can get in everything I want during regular hours. I’m leaving the option open but that’s a day-of or at-closing decision.

KikoKea

Will be chillin' with the Villains on 6 June! Fortunately, we were already going to be there, hooking up with friends, so this is an added bonus for the trip. Will be interesting how the party goes.

awoogala

I actually know a family that does just that. they can only go in late summer but hate the hot weather, so they don't get a full vacation tickets but instead do a few parties at night and chill during the day at the resort by the pool.

I may give it a try
I would do this if I didn't have an ap this summer. July is hot, I'm only there because husband has a conference. I will do this next year if there are enough to make it worthwhile. 1-3 nights at MK, spend a couple days at UNI, works out. I did buy a ticket for the villians night this summer, guiltily. (I have an ap, got a discount, but don't NEED to go).

tallica

On four nights a week from mid August to Christmas, there are no projections and fireworks for day guests though. There are Party nights where they kick out the day guests at 7pm, which is not after dark for at least half the time.
correct me if I am wrong but they kick day guests out at 6pm now to clear the park for the party due to many stragglers.

awoogala

Not trying to be a hater, but with infrequent EMH and more of these ticketed nightly events, what exactly are the benefits of staying on property? Looking at next week's calendar for instance, there are only two nights in any park with EMH; it wasn't that many years ago that there was one 5 or so nights a week in any park. Add to that the resort parking fees, etc...
and the fact that many off property "friend" hotels have emh rights now.. I think we all see it getting worn down/overcrowded until it's not a "bonus" anyone cares about anymore, annnd.. then they can get rid of it, or lessen it to a once a week thing, etc.

Last edited:

awoogala

I know this is what they've done for a few years now and we're just supposed to accept it, but it's one of the most infuriating things that Disney does. Guests are expected to arrange the details of their itineraries months in advance, yet Disney can't figure out whether or not its flagship park will be busy in July.

Perhaps if they weren't the nation's leading family vacation destination, or if they didn't have nearly 5 decades of experience, or if they were on the verge of bankruptcy, I would have a little more sympathy for this sort of thing. It just reeks of desperation to do the absolute bare minimum, while simultaneously putting unnecessary burdens on the guests.

Disney sells a premium product and is the industry leader, but acts like they've never done this before and they're not quite sure whether or not this whole theme park thing will still be around in 6 months. It's not unreasonable to expect them to know in April what they're doing this summer, or to expect them to have minimal fluctuations in hours over the course of any given week.

Disneyland is open 8am to midnight during all weekends and busy periods throughout the entire year, and has been for decades. Why can't MK figure out a similarly consistent schedule? Why are WDW guests only given the bare minimum, while being charged exorbitant prices and being forced to use unwieldy planning tools to get any sort of value out of their time?

This is an unforced error on Disney's part. It makes them look petty and aloof, with very little meaningful benefit. For a company that charges premium prices and positions itself as a premium product, it really isn't a good look.
yup. exact. they are still crowded, and keep selling a gazillion tickets, and are packed, and people keep upgrading. .. until the next recession, expect this going on and on. "if you build it, they will come" = "if you do this, and they keep spending, do more".
We can be upset all we want, but if everyone keeps spending record amounts of $ at Disney, they will continue. And they are. Crowds are up, extras are being bought up, even VIP services, which used to be a weird, rare, "crazy rich" people thing.. has become a "treat yo'self" thing. Literally, vip tours became a thing on regular tv shows, like Blackish in the last year or so. People are spending. Until they stop, it will not change. (also, this isn't me being like damn it, I'm not spending, you're the problem!, I went July 2018, Oct. 2018, Feb. 2019, annnd... July 2019, I buy extras, I am just as guilty)

awoogala

While having logistical issues to implement, I'm surprised Disney doesn't sell discounted half-day tickets, especially during the Summer. Day tickets would be 8 AM to 4 PM and evening tickets 4 PM to 12 AM.
considering how many "special parties" I've been to, that were filled to the brim with people happy they didn't pay for it, so they could see the fireworks and parades for free...I'd be amazed how they could implement it. The amount of halloween/xmas parties filled with people who didn't pay.. (and who happily bragged about it at the parade) ..they don't quiz people unless they try to ride a ride, honestly. They supposedly "sweep" the park.. but, they don't close, empty the park, etc. people can hide in dark corners and bathrooms, etc. I cannot imagine the logistical nightmare trying to implement what you are proposing, unless they closed/cleared, then reopened..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom