Disney vet going to Universal Orlando needs advice!

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Hey, everyone! I am heading to USO and IOA and I haven't been there since 1991. It was not working so well then, but I still had a great time.

Is there anything a Universal Orlando vet can tell me that will make my trip more enjoyable?
I am staying at Cabana Bay 9/28 - 10/1 with a 3-day park to park.

Thanks in advance!

Porter

BubbaQuest

I agree with Corey, the best advice is to relax. The pace at Uni is really up to you.

You will want to take advantage of Early Park Admission since you are staying on site. It's the best way to see the Potter lands before the crowds arrive. If rides are a priority, head directly to Gringotts for EPA. If shopping is a priority, EPA is a great time for Ollivanders and buying a wand.

I think Minions is a really fun (and funny) ride. However, it will have long lines. Many people choose to ride it during EPA to avoid the crowds.

3 days should be plenty of time to see everything so feel free to pick rides as you go. In my experience, Spiderman, Minions, and Hulk all had the longest lines throughout the day. Forbidden Journey queue seems to drop off in the evening.

Also, not sure how you booked the trip, but one thing to keep in mind for Disney vets is that the hotels and parks are separate entities. You'll need to find the Uni ticket counter/kiosk inside the hotel to get your tickets -- they won't be at the hotel desk. Your park ticket + hotel key is necessary for EPA.

Have a great trip and let us all know how it goes!

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

I thought it would be a bit more relaxed. I think ET is the only ride that is still there from when I went in 1991. I'm really excited for all the new experiences.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Get a locker and stick a change of clothes in it then ride Popeye and Dudley Do-right multiple times.
The food place next to Jurassic Park splash zone is quite decent for counter service.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
As far as City Walk the restaurants are all good to my knowledge and aren't over priced. Depends what you like. In the parks you can actually get a seat in a sit down restaurant as opposed to booking it 180 days out. The only sit down I've done in the park is Mythos and that was good. Can't say the quick serves are very good. They were slow, did we surprised them by showing up and ordering something? Food wasn't great.
Looking forward to eating at Mythos! So no go on the Simpson's QS?

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
You can eat in-park or City Walk- both are so close that it would be like walking from Africa to Dinosaur in most cases. Cowfish is great. Antojitos is good mexican. In park- mythos is good. Confisco isn't terrible- its above average but for "quick service" pricing (I think a hamburger was $12 and a shake was $3.50). So all around a much better deal than the mouse for park food- albeit not as much variety (but more unique options LIKE cowfish). The ambiance is good- but again, not as diverse as Disney.

Toothsome should be open when you go- so be on the lookout for reviews from there.

I recommend to everyone they eat at Emerils Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific. Chef Ryan is extremely talented and just a great guy in general. Hands down my favorite restaurant between WDW and Uni.
Great! I was looking at both of those restaurants. I was definitely going to Cowfish, but now I might add Emeril's to the plan as well.

Jrn14

I think the food in Springfield is great for quick service! I really love that big donut too... mmmmmmmmmm donut

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Thanks for all the advice. After going to Disney so many times, I am finally stopping by Universal for a 2-night, 3-day stay at the end of this month. We are staying at the Royal Pacific Resort that comes with early admission to HP lands as well as the "Express Pass" for a variety of rides. I'm not exactly sure about how the "Express Pass" thing works. Is is basically unlimited Fast Passes for those rides? About how long is the wait with the "Express Pass"?

JoeCamel

Looking forward to eating at Mythos! So no go on the Simpson's QS?

Mythos is a highly themed sit down place. I love it. Many like the Simpson's but they are two different places. Chicken and waffles or a burger it can't be beat. I can pass on Simpsons but not on Mythos.

SAV

If you want to use the Lazy River at Cabana Bay, you will need to bring your own tubes or buy them on-site at the resort. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $10 - $12 per tube. Much cheaper to bring your own. They will inflate any tubes for you at the little shack, so no need to try to pre-inflate it.

I would definitely leave some time to "play" at the resort. It's a great place with plenty to do.

As for the parks, We went in July last year and as long as you take advantage of the Early Morning hours, you will be fine. We didn't have Express Pass and got on everything we wanted. Minions is best to do right at Morning Hours opening or it will get over an hour very quickly. We did it on the way back to Gringot's and got on in 10 minutes. Then once you do the HP rides once going through the Queue, we just started to do the Single Rider lines. You miss some of the queue, but get on in 10 minutes vs. 60 minutes. No brainer for us.

tweak89

For the OP, One thing to keep in mind is that you will be going during Halloween Horror Nights. It will affect 3 (or 2 depending on what your plan is for Oct. 1st). The Studios side of the parks will close early on those nights to prep and re-open for Halloween Horror Nights. It's a separate ticketed event if you are inclined to attend.

Good thing is, during the days you are going the crowds should be moderate. So with early entry to you can knock out the all things Potter and Kong and have plenty of time to ride/see everything else. As seasoned Disney vets, Universal is such a nice change of pace from the crazy planning needed to get the most out of the Disney parks.

PorterRedkey

Original Poster
For the OP, One thing to keep in mind is that you will be going during Halloween Horror Nights. It will affect 3 (or 2 depending on what your plan is for Oct. 1st). The Studios side of the parks will close early on those nights to prep and re-open for Halloween Horror Nights. It's a separate ticketed event if you are inclined to attend.

Good thing is, during the days you are going the crowds should be moderate. So with early entry to you can knock out the all things Potter and Kong and have plenty of time to ride/see everything else. As seasoned Disney vets, Universal is such a nice change of pace from the crazy planning needed to get the most out of the Disney parks.

I thought about Horror Nights. Is that only at Studios or is it at IOA as well? Also do you know what time the park closes on those nights?

BAChicagoGal

If you want to use the Lazy River at Cabana Bay, you will need to bring your own tubes or buy them on-site at the resort. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around $10 - $12 per tube. Much cheaper to bring your own. They will inflate any tubes for you at the little shack, so no need to try to pre-inflate it.

I would definitely leave some time to "play" at the resort. It's a great place with plenty to do.

As for the parks, We went in July last year and as long as you take advantage of the Early Morning hours, you will be fine. We didn't have Express Pass and got on everything we wanted. Minions is best to do right at Morning Hours opening or it will get over an hour very quickly. We did it on the way back to Gringot's and got on in 10 minutes. Then once you do the HP rides once going through the Queue, we just started to do the Single Rider lines. You miss some of the queue, but get on in 10 minutes vs. 60 minutes. No brainer for us.

The thing about the tubes for the Lazy River really surprises me. Bring your own tubes? Never heard of that, but I am used to vacationing at the Wilderness in the Dells with the grandson, and they had loads and loads of inner tubes. Singles, doubles and family size as well.

JoeCamel

The thing about the tubes for the Lazy River really surprises me. Bring your own tubes? Never heard of that, but I am used to vacationing at the Wilderness in the Dells with the grandson, and they had loads and loads of inner tubes. Singles, doubles and family size as well.

You can bring your own but the cost is $8 - $12 depending on size which is about what the big box seller charge. Either way you don't have to have a tube it just makes it more of a float than a drift.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom