Disney Vacation Account

DPN

Anybody have any experience using a Disney Vacation Account? I started one for our 2018 trip with a monthly automatic deposit toward our goal. Haven't used it before but it's something new and exciting since we have quite a ways to go before our trip. Plus it's fun to get the monthly deposit emails!

Wondering if anybody else prefers it to another savings plan? What are other ideas you use to save?

MickeyMomV

We just buy a couple of gift cards from Sam's out of each paycheck. The 4.7% off helps out a bit. I know target gives you the 5% off but we don't have a Target card and really don't want one.

Upvote 0

cjlyon

I use this to save for our vacations I like that they give you $20 for every $1000 spent. I also don't deposit directly from a checking or savings account you can buy gift cards and deposit them instead. I buy mine at Kroger's when they offer 4x fuel points but I know some people get theirs at other stores like Target, Sam's Club, and Costco for other discounts.

Upvote 0

Vic23

I have been using it for the past few months, saving for 2018 and I love it. When we have some extra money we buy a Disney Gift Card and add it to this and we also do a monthly deposit into it that will have us lined up perfectly for our February 2018 goal :)

I'm a big fan even though it doesn't give you interest, nice and easy way to save.

Upvote 0

bigrigross

We just paid our vacation for our May trip from our Disney savings. What I did to save was I have a American Express Blue card which I get Amex prepaid cards from Kroger which also nets you 4x the amount of Kroger fuel points. You also get 6% back from AMEX since it was purchased from a grocery store (Walmart/samsclub and Meijer do not count). You then purchase the Disney gift cards from Samsclub with the prepaid AMEX cards. Then add the gift cards to your Disney account so every 1000 put in, nets you a 20 dollar gift card. We saved over 700 dollars doing it this way. Plus a crap ton of fuel points from Kroger.

We already started a new account for when we take another trip in 2 years. I like the account since its money put into a place thats not easily taken from.

Upvote 0

DPN

Original Poster
Gift cards are a great idea. I forgot about a couple of them we had left from our last trip and just put them in the account. Thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

yensid67

I have been using DSA for years now saving for 2018 trip! Its easier for me to save because they money isn't accessible to me as easy as it would be at a local bank! Its great for those who are tempted to spend savings from a local bank! OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND! I make a payment every month and forget about it! TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT! I promise! Maybe a good way for your kids to save for a trip!!!!

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We just paid our vacation for our May trip from our Disney savings. What I did to save was I have a American Express Blue card which I get Amex prepaid cards from Kroger which also nets you 4x the amount of Kroger fuel points. You also get 6% back from AMEX since it was purchased from a grocery store (Walmart/samsclub and Meijer do not count). You then purchase the Disney gift cards from Samsclub with the prepaid AMEX cards. Then add the gift cards to your Disney account so every 1000 put in, nets you a 20 dollar gift card. We saved over 700 dollars doing it this way. Plus a crap ton of fuel points from Kroger.

We already started a new account for when we take another trip in 2 years. I like the account since its money put into a place thats not easily taken from.
That takes some work but 12.7% off your disney trip plus the full rewards is well worth the trouble!!

Upvote 0

yensid67

JoDeVil...sad for you that its not available for our UK friends! BUT here's an idea....go to your local bank and ask if they have a Vacation Account or Club. (We have them here in US) set up your vacation account through your bank and have automatic payments deposited into that account each week or month! If they don't have anything like that. simply open a Savings Account that can only be used for deposits only! Then when its time to make your reservations and pay for things, simply transfer the money to your checking account! Maybe YOU can be the catalyst for your UK friends and work with a bank and have them set something up similar to the Disney Vacation Account! Just some ideas!

How it works(my understanding)
-You set up an account with Disney Vacation Account
-You set a goal(within the site)
-You make payments to your account the achieve your goal
-Once you make your goal(or you need a refund) you just request a refund to the original account where payments came from
-It usually take LESS than a week to get the funds back
-You can use cash payments OR Gift Card payments. (Just remember that the refund goes back to the original account they came from. So if you made a payment with a credit card, the money will go back on the credit card used. If you pay with a gift card, the money goes back on gift card.
-The DVA does not accrue interest. It is just a place to save money for your Disney vacation!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdeev8690

I just got this email from Disney Vacation Account

Screen%20Shot%202017-07-25%20at%201.06.57%20PM_zpsodn19gbj.png

Anyone who has funds in their account has four options. You can read about it here :https://disneyvacationaccount.disney.go.com/program-details/

Upvote 0

DPN

Original Poster
That's really disappointing. It was a great program, easy to save and no explanation why it stopped. Bummer, just have to save another way.

Upvote 0

Marianm

I didn't use it, but I'm surprised they cancelled it! I thought it was a great idea.
For this trip, we paid for the whole thing with Disney gift cards from BJ's. It's $94.99 for a $100 disney card so it was a nice bit of savings.

Upvote 0

DPN

Original Poster
I'll start doing the same, great idea. I'll call in the next week or so and book POR Riverside and I guess take a gift card for the rest.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom