News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

Rteetz

Which is fantastic yet surprising tbh that it took so long for Disney to address abhorrent guest behavior.

But how does one prevent those interactions from occurring? Disney can't prescreen guests.

They also can't prescreen CM who would potentially engage in exclusionary behavior. The fact that it does happen is surprising but not unexpected in an organization that employs tens of thousands of people at a single location.
That is a good point and obviously not something they can control much. I think more or less the goal is to help CMs put in these situations and remove or de-escalate any situations that may occur.

lazyboy97o

My examples are not against guests but internal between CMs and guests towards CMs. Like I mentioned above I see this addition as working on all aspects of inclusion not just CMs interacting with guests. CM to CM should not tolerate any of that, that is for sure.
Then this is a meaningless gesture because it is unrelated to these issues. It’s a distraction that lets people pat themselves on the back for doing something without having to actually address the real issues because they’re looking somewhere else.

Rteetz

Then this is a meaningless gesture because it is unrelated to these issues. It’s a distraction that lets people pat themselves on the back for doing something without having to actually address the real issues because they’re looking somewhere else.
You can view it however you choose I suppose.

rowrbazzle

Think about what Disney does for those with disabilities (and Disney does *a lot*). Well, most of that is mandated by the ADA. And so, there are legal mandates for inclusion when it comes to people with disabilities.

But that's different from 'courtesy.' If there was no legal mandate and Disney didn't want to do anything out of the ordinary for people with disabilities, then Disney could very courteously say to people with disabilities, "Oh, so sorry, we can't accommodate you." That's being courteous while being excluding.

But for Disney, only safety outranks inclusion for people with disabilities.

"Inclusion" is a reminder not to be exclusive and discriminatory.
That's an unrealistic hypothetical. The idea that Disney would discriminate absent legal requirements doesn't remotely jibe with their behavior in other areas.

rodserling27

One would think but this also works both ways. There certainly have been discrimination or racial issues within the structures of Disney. Guests yell racial slurs at CMs regularly as well. Disney is starting to realize (hopefully) that things can and should improve.
What?! That's crazy! I have never ever heard or seen this happen; awful!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This new key for “cultural transformation” makes a lot of sense when you consider TWDC’s association with the PRC. Under the PRC and the folks Disney thanked in the Mulan credits, the Uighur culture is being transformed to nonexistence.

They thanked a regional district for permission to film establishing shots there. It's is a tragedy what that province is doing to its inhabitants. But Disney isn't approving of their behavior any more than the U.S. when it trades with PRC.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's an unrealistic hypothetical. The idea that Disney would discriminate absent legal requirements doesn't remotely jibe with their behavior in other areas.
Then you're OK with Disney putting a name to the behavior they jibe with: Inclusion.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
ADDA5021-A7E6-4EB3-8700-7B0AC764ACC8.gif

rodserling27

I would think the point of adding is to emphasize the importance of Inclusion, and all that it means. Adding it as a key keeps that on focus for the company, at all times. I don't see how anyone could find anything wrong with adding this as an important and stand-alone focus.
Because "inclusion" is quite frequently code for "exclusion - marginalizing a 'normal' person, and catering to the extreme vocal minority." Hopefully it means "INCLUSION" and nothing more.

Disney Analyst

Because "inclusion" is quite frequently code for "exclusion - marginalizing a normal person, and catering to the extreme vocal minority." Hopefully it means "INCLUSION" and nothing more.

I'm sorry, inclusion means what?

Merriam-Webster definition:

" the act or practice of including and accommodating people who have historically been excluded (as because of their race, gender, sexuality, or ability)"

Edit to add:

And also, "exclusion - margalizing a normal person"

WHAT is a normal person? What the hey?

rodserling27

I'm sorry, inclusion means what?

Merriam-Webster definition:

" the act or practice of including and accommodating people who have historically been excluded (as because of their race, gender, sexuality, or ability)"

Edit to add:

And also, "exclusion - margalizing a normal person"

WHAT is a normal person? What the hey?
Perhaps I misspoke (mistyped?). All should be accommodated. I'm 100% in agreement. But when "politicos" use that term, it usually means any thing BUT inclusion. When used by such folks, if you're just an average run-of-the-mill-person, you will be made to feel bad for being so.

ThatMouse

I did a Google and thought this explanation is probably what Disney is after. It almost brings a tear.

"INCLUSION
Inclusion is an organisational effort and practices in which different groups or individuals having different backgrounds are culturally and socially accepted and welcomed, and equally treated. These differences could be self-evident, such as national origin, age, race and ethnicity, religion/belief, gender, marital status and socioeconomic status or they could be more inherent, such as educational background, training, sector experience, organisational tenure, even personality, such as introverts and extroverts.

Inclusion is a sense of belonging. Inclusive cultures make people feel respected and valued for who they are as an individual or group. People feel a level of supportive energy and commitment from others so that they can do their best at work. Inclusion often means a shift in an organisation’s mind-set and culture that has visible effects, such as participation in meetings, how offices are physically organised or access to particular facilities or information.

The process of inclusion engages each individual and makes people feel valued as being essential to the success of the organisation. Evidence shows that when people feel valued, they function at full capacity and feel part of the organisation’s mission. This culture shift creates higher performing organizations where motivation and morale soar."

Rteetz

But with no actual evidence (experiential or stated) of the former, it therefore must be the latter.

Considering this board is filled with people who practically live in the parks and this is (out of a thousand consistent complaints) something that is never mentioned, tells me it's the latter.
So just because it’s not on these boards it doesn’t exist?

One thing I’m sure many have noticed or at least should is that the majority of the Disney fan community that are on these boards or bloggers, and vloggers are white. So even if this is just about CM to guest interaction I’m can almost guarantee there have been issues in the past.

I really fail to understand why people have a problem with this? It doesn’t impact you. If anything it’s helpful. Maybe it is just words but still doesn’t make things worse or “less inclusive.”

_caleb

I’m sorry but this is a contradictory non-answer. You literally said people are saying Courtesy has not been sufficient for them to be inconcluded. Now you’re saying it’s not. Which is it? We’re not talking about social issues. The Four Keys are specifically about operating the parks.
Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and interpreting my post charitably.

What I "literally" said was:
I agree. Lots of people are speaking up and saying (in effect), "Courtesy hasn't brought inclusion for us!" Disney is listening and responding.

The good news is that "inclusion" includes all the haters, too!

It's the "(in effect)" part that showed I was trying to apply one thing (people across the United States crying out to be treated fairly) to another (Disney adding a new "Key" to CM training and guidance). It's entirely possible that my response wasn't well-written, but I was trying to address those who were jumping in to say, "They don't need to add a Key, "Inclusion" is part of Courtesy!" Well, apparently Disney thought it needed to be prioritized and receive special attention it wasn't getting.

This is a social issue because Disney is responding to the public social conversation with internal changes in order to ensure CMs have sufficient guidance to treat guests in accordance with Company values.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom