HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
giphy.gif

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Doesn't this come under "Courtesy " ?

Think about what Disney does for those with disabilities (and Disney does *a lot*). Well, most of that is mandated by the ADA. And so, there are legal mandates for inclusion when it comes to people with disabilities.

But that's different from 'courtesy.' If there was no legal mandate and Disney didn't want to do anything out of the ordinary for people with disabilities, then Disney could very courteously say to people with disabilities, "Oh, so sorry, we can't accommodate you." That's being courteous while being excluding.

But for Disney, only safety outranks inclusion for people with disabilities.

"Inclusion" is a reminder not to be exclusive and discriminatory.

tirian

The company has long been known as inclusive, and it feels like a token corporate buzzword that already falls within “Courtesy.” I’m not one to beat the “woke” drum because it quickly dissolves into a political discussion, but at some point we have to ask if we’re addressing real issues or imaginary ones. There is no blanket answer; it depends on each company and its existing culture.

As I’ve said before, I’ve served on diversity committees, and in my experience, most volunteers were people who created problems and imagined issues everywhere they looked. They weren’t interested in true resolutions; they just wanted their personal opinions to be mandates.

I hope this is a harmless corporate buzzword.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It is a bit funny that they're launching an "inclusion" key at the same time that they're limiting who gets into their parks. I get where they're going with it, but it's still a bit funny in a not so great way.
I'm not exactly sure if you understand what inclusion means in this particular circumstance. We are talking D&I here.

CJR

I'm not exactly sure if you understand what inclusion means in this particular circumstance. We are talking D&I here.

I know what it means. Hence I said "I get where they're going with it."

What I meant must've went over your head and that's ok, because it's not really important. It's just funny timing, that is all.

_caleb

I have never been more disappointed in this page. Some of the responses here are tone deaf and ill educated. Check yourself before ridiculing something. Because it doesn’t affect you, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect someone you care for.
I agree. Lots of people are speaking up and saying (in effect), "Courtesy hasn't brought inclusion for us!" Disney is listening and responding.

The good news is that "inclusion" includes all the haters, too!

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
I have never been more disappointed in this page. Some of the responses here are tone deaf and ill educated. Check yourself before ridiculing something. Because it doesn’t affect you, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect someone you care for.

I agree. Lots of people are speaking up and saying (in effect), "Courtesy hasn't brought inclusion for us!" Disney is listening and responding.

The good news is that "inclusion" includes all the haters, too!

Honest question, what has Disney done to be exclusionary, other than price most people out? The overwhelming majority of CM are caring and respectful to all guests and already conduct themselves at the highest level or courtesy and respect. The only time I have observed where things go wrong is when guests create a toxic environment. I'm not exactly sure how Disney can filter guests though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom