Disney Trip With A 5 Month Old Daughter (October 15th-18th, 2010)

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
First of all, it's been ages since I've posted anything on here and I want to say, "It's good to be back." :)

Secondly, my wife and I are the proud parents of our first born daughter, Kathryn. She was born on April 30th, 2010. She's our little bundle of joy and totally means the world to us. We feel she's at that age where we can start going away on small weekend Disney trips. Can anyone give us any advice of what to bring and how to prepare for a Disney trip with a 5 month old?

Seeing this is our first trip back to Disney in three years (with the economy being so shaky and our employment being questionable, we cut out all Disney trips) and we're looking forward to going back next Friday (October 15th). Plus, with Disney allowing Florida residents to finance the annual passes, going back to Disney after a long period of time will be just like the first time, I'm sure. :)

Thank you for any advice you can give me! :wave:

JoMarch

Welcome Show

Definitely catch the "Welcome Show" that opens the Magic Kingdom every morning. You have to arrive about 15-20 minutes before the park officially opens.

It's adorable, very Disney and you get to see a lot of characters (including Mickey).

First of all, it's been ages since I've posted anything on here and I want to say, "It's good to be back." :)

Secondly, my wife and I are the proud parents of our first born daughter, Kathryn. She was born on April 30th, 2010. She's our little bundle of joy and totally means the world to us. We feel she's at that age where we can start going away on small weekend Disney trips. Can anyone give us any advice of what to bring and how to prepare for a Disney trip with a 5 month old?

Seeing this is our first trip back to Disney in three years (with the economy being so shaky and our employment being questionable, we cut out all Disney trips) and we're looking forward to going back next Friday (October 15th). Plus, with Disney allowing Florida residents to finance the annual passes, going back to Disney after a long period of time will be just like the first time, I'm sure. :)

First off, congratulations on the baby! :wave:

Bring extras of everything. :lol: Extra clothes, extra baby snacks, extra diapers, extra wipes, etc. It seems like a redundant statement, but I'm just going on how it was like for us when we brought my then eight-month-old niece to the parks. :lookaroun

I remember when we took my niece to the carousel for the first time. She was shaking with excitement. I hope your baby girl will be just as ecstatic in The World. :D

wdwlinz

We are leaving tomorrow with our 7-month old daughter and it will be our first time taking her. I'm very nervous I'm going to forget something. My husband has been teasing me that I'm basically packing everything she owns. I'll try to hop online mid-trip and see if I can offer any good advice on what worked/did not work for us and how she is doing with the trip. Hopefully both our daughters will have a wonderful first time at WDW!

powlessfamily4

Just heft the nursery onto a tractor trailer and bring it with you. :sohappy:

DisneyMusician2

Congrats!

When we took my son, we made sure we had a great, light, inexpensive (relatively) stroller that our diaper bag could fit over the handles and hang easily so neither of us was having to shoulder the thing all day. THAT was the best decision we made the whole trip.

Other than that, remember you are on your kid's schedule, not your own. If you can keep that in mind, you'll have a great time!

HAVE FUN!

monkeysammich

I went in July with my newborn son (1 month old) and my daughter (3 years old) ... Just be patient, go at their pace, and make sure you take plenty of sit down breaks (ours were in Philharmagic!).

Also, this october is shaping up to be fairly cool weather in the evenings, so be sure to prepare for that. I would bring both a set of clothes for sweltering heat and for shivering cold (florida is so finicky when it comes to weather.)

Oh, and another thing, don't get so focused on your child that you forget to hydrate yourself. Carrying a child/pushing a stroller all day at a theme park is a serious work out!

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Congrats!

When we took my son, we made sure we had a great, light, inexpensive (relatively) stroller that our diaper bag could fit over the handles and hang easily so neither of us was having to shoulder the thing all day. THAT was the best decision we made the whole trip.

Other than that, remember you are on your kid's schedule, not your own. If you can keep that in mind, you'll have a great time!

HAVE FUN!

Absolutely! Our lives revolve around our daughter's schedule anyways. Hey.. as long as we get naps in, I'm fine. :D

docdebbi

don't count on those naps unless you go back to the hotel room. we assumed when we took my nine month old grandson that if we snuck into the baby care center, or someplace else quiet/dark, that we could get him to sleep..............wrong. too ramped up, even in quieter places. had to go back to hotel room to get him to unwind enough to sleep. i'm sure if we had kept going he would have eventually fallen asleep, but in the meantime you could tell he was miserable from being overtired.
bottom line......yup, it's now all about the kid ! arrange that schedule accordingly.....but they are SOOOO worth it. Congratulations.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Disney With A 5 Month Old Daughter....

We're back! :)

It definitely makes going to the parks a bit more challenging. :)

My wife and I just returned from our quick weekend in Disney with our five month old daughter. If there was one thing we came away from the park learning is that you cannot travel light with a baby. You have to pack like you're going away for a few weeks (stock up on diapers, formula, babyfood, and all the other things a baby needs). Thankfully, the carriage had a storage bin underneath where the baby sat, so we can carry all of her things.

Now, here's something else that's a pain that I found out real quick (especially after the first day): folding the carriage everytime you wanted to get on the tram. What a hassle that is. If you want to get on the tram, you have to fold it, and store it on the floor (or as close to the floor as possible). Then, you have to pull the carriage out and unfold it when you reach your destination. I didn't complain much seeing how every other father out there was doing the same thing.

The one thing I don't care for is "stroller parking" and for good reason. Let's just say that all my suspicions were confirmed on Saturday when my wife and I took our daughter in to get pictures with the Disney Princesses in Toontown at the Magic Kingdom. We parked the stroller outside of the meet and greet tent, waited 15 mins in line, got the pictures taken, and on the way out I heard another father talking to "Disney Police" about a stroller that was stolen from that very same location. Unreal. I hope they found their stroller. As for us, our stroller was ok. We didn't have anything valuable in the stroller (except our daughter's diapers, food, etc. in a bag).

Later that night, we caught up with my younger brother at Epcot who got engaged in front of the fountain in Italy. Me, my wife, my daughter, and a few other friends of his were all there for occasion. Very nice. Then, it was on to Germany for dinner. With Epcot being so crowded due to the Food & Wine Festival, this overstimulated our daughter to the point where she got sick. So, my wife and I bowed out of dinner and headed back to the hotel where we just ordered room service, calmed our daughter down, and settled in for the night. I have to tell you that it wasn't my intentions of overstimulating my daughter with the crowds. She got nervous, anxious, scared, and got sick. Poor girl. :(

Sunday, we took a break from Disney for a little while, and went to International Drive for a little while that morning. Then, we went back the Magic Kingdom that afternoon and just walked around the park. We didn't do any rides and just took it all in. We don't live that far from Disney and can head back at any time to do the rides. So, if there's one weekend where we want to be at Disney, but not do anything, that's fine. We can always go back. :)

In the end, just having our daughter at Disney for the first time was the best feeling ever. In spite of her getting sick Saturday night, that's the way it goes, I guess. For the next time, we'll just do the parks during the day and head back to the hotel at night. That way, we can get the baby settled in and mommy and daddy can rest their legs. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom