Disney Trip Planned for April 22-29, 2024. Considering moving since it's cheer week?!

elliemaeth

UPDATE: Moved the trip to April 8-14.
Called my hotel and they had 153 rooms booked for cheer teams during my original Apr 22-29 stay.
Luckily was able to change the trip, and glad I found it out now!

Hi, I have a trip planned for April 22-29, 2024 for my 40th bday. Just me and my 72 year old Mom going.
We have reservations at the Drury Plaza Disney Springs.
Found out today that is the week of 2 or 3 cheer competitions.

Considering moving the whole trip. I have read mixed things about cheer weeks. Some say as long as you don't stay at their hotels you really don't notice them in the parks. Others say it's awful.

Thinking of moving to May 1-7th instead.
Any advice would be helpful!

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

I think you might want to have this moved to the Trip Planning forum.

That aside, I would look at online crowd calendars (just Google Disney Crowd Calendar). I doubt a cheer competition is going to bump crowds that much. Also, they won’t be in the parks a ton, because they have to be at the actual competition for much of the time (have a cousin who does cheer). They can’t leave until their group is done competing so it likely wouldn’t impact mornings much at all, evenings might be different.

Upvote 1

DisneyFanatic12

Hi, I have a trip planned for April 22-29, 2024 for my 40th bday. Just me and my 72 year old Mom going.
We have reservations at the Drury Plaza Disney Springs.
Found out today that is the week of 2 or 3 cheer competitions.

Considering moving the whole trip. I have read mixed things about cheer weeks. Some say as long as you don't stay at their hotels you really don't notice them in the parks. Others say it's awful.

Thinking of moving to May 1-7th instead.
Any advice would be helpful!
Early May will most likely be quieter, but crowds are always going to be mostly unpredictable. I have mixed feelings about cheer/dance. Many of the kids are obnoxious (they’ll scream through every ride about how nice Ariel’s hair is or something), but obviously there are also many cheer/dance kids that are not obnoxious. Generally, I’d say that early May might be more pleasant (not spring break for many schools and less crazy guests), but at the end of the day, you’ll have a great experience either way!

Upvote 0

DisneyFanatic12

That aside, I would look at online crowd calendars (just Google Disney Crowd Calendar). I doubt a cheer competition is going to bump crowds that much. Also, they won’t be in the parks a ton, because they have to be at the actual competition for much of the time (have a cousin who does cheer). They can’t leave until their group is done competing so it likely wouldn’t impact mornings much at all, evenings might be different.
Yea, the only bump would be mostly before or after the competition. That being said, April is the end of spring break. 22-29th you shouldn’t have too many spring breakers, but you’ll have a few stragglers. Early May is probably safer, but crowds should only be slightly different.

Upvote 0

elliemaeth

Original Poster

Thanks! How can I get it moved to the Trip planning forum?

Upvote 0

DisneyHead123

Thanks! How can I get it moved to the Trip planning forum?
There might be a simpler way, but here’s one way -

In the drop-down menu (three bars in the upper left hand corner on a phone) go to “forums” then “members”.

The 3 bar menu at the top of that page has an option to “find members”

Search “The Mom”, a moderator, and ask to have the thread moved.

Someone else might know a shorter way but that should still work!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Youll notice more issues with the kids in the late afternoons when they are set loose in the parks. Depending on the resort the noise levels with unchaperoned kids may be worse, they do tend to group book the value resorts. So mostly avoid the value resorts. Even at mod and deluxe you can still get rowdy groups of kids.
I wouldnt frett too much over needing to change my time. Weve gone during those time periods and had a great time. They arent as obnoxious as the other unnamed group that starts with a B that turns up.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom