News Disney transforms Magic Kingdom's famous purple wall to celebrate PRIDE Month at Walt Disney World and will donate merch profits to support LGBTQIA+

Status
Not open for further replies.

marymarypoppins

I don’t know, but don’t forget that GayDays has been running at the Magic Kingdom for 31 years. A group of people turning up wearing red shirts in your park all on the sale day will help go someway to getting things noticed.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Some of our best trips were when we just happened to be there during the original red shirt days and the men and women there were amazingly kind and polite much nicer than the typical Disney guest in early June. However as mother of daughter who is an athlete I have some issues with the charity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do they put this much time , effort and money to other special months like Black History month?
You mean like taking over the American Adventure pavilion to highlight the contributions of Black musicians to jazz music?

Oh, some more...

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don’t know, but don’t forget that GayDays has been running at the Magic Kingdom for 31 years. A group of people turning up wearing red shirts in your park all on the sale day will help go someway to getting things noticed.
Disney doesn't run GayDays. GayDays is run by a third party group.

It's like a convention. They pretty much rent out a local non-Disney hotel. Each day, they designate a Disney and a non-Disney park to attend (e.g., Monday might be Epcot and SeaWorld). Then they may rent out a Disney park for a private after-hours party.

In this regard, Gay Days is no different than, e.g., cheer groups or Warner football.

Celebrating Pride Month is something that Disney themselves do indeed do. In the past, it was very low key with it mostly being just rainbow themed merchandise. This is the first year Disney has been all-in on Celebrating Pride Month with public endorsements and public displays such as the purple/rainbow wall.

And it's extended to all aspects of the company, e.g., Disney+....

Joel

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I have had the distinct impression that Universal is happy to quietly take advantage of some of Disney's political issues in Florida over this and other issues going back to the pandemic to build its share of the local theme park going market. Maybe I'm wrong, but management seems a lot more conscious of not getting out too far ahead of local sensibilities to kind of wink at the local market that they can come over to Uni if they don't like Disney's politics.
Seems that way. As much as some here would have you think otherwise, most people don't come home from a theme park wishing intersectionality had been promoted more. Universal is arguably taking the braver stance in the present media/corporate climate.

Joel

My point is, since when is something being called “illegal” stop a huge companies from doing anything? They can manipulate the books anyway they like to make it perfectly “legal”.

Legally, TWDC and RCID are two separate entities 😂
I take Disney on their word with this, but they're in an industry (film) that is notorious for "creative" accounting practices. I'm skeptical whenever anyone says they're donating "a portion (or all) of the profits" instead of giving an actual amount I can calculate myself ($3 for every shirt sold, 10% of the sale price, etc).

Lilofan

It's like a convention. They pretty much rent out a local non-Disney hotel. Each day, they designate a Disney and a non-Disney park to attend (e.g., Monday might be Epcot and SeaWorld). Then they may rent out a Disney park for a private after-hours party.

In this regard, Gay Days is no different than, e.g., cheer groups or Warner football.

Celebrating Pride Month is something that Disney themselves do indeed do. In the past, it was very low key with it mostly being just rainbow themed merchandise. This is the first year Disney has been all-in on Celebrating Pride Month with public endorsements and public displays such as the purple/rainbow wall.

And it's extended to all aspects of the company, e.g., Disney+....

During Gay Days going back around 20 years ago there was wild and fun event called One Mighty Party at DHS that ran from 10pm-3am that ran annually with live DJs and a few attraction rides open. It was a hard ticket event open to all. The third party even had their own medical staff on site to help some guests with an altered state of mind that needed medical assistance . One year comedienne Kathy Griffin did a stand up act filled with her humorous raunchy filled act.

celluloid

During Gay Days going back around 20 years ago there was wild and fun event called One Mighty Party at DHS that ran from 10pm-3am that ran annually with live DJs and a few attraction rides open. It was a hard ticket event open to all. The third party even had their own medical staff on site to help some guests with an altered state of mind that needed medical assistance . One year comedienne Kathy Griffin did a stand up act filled with her humorous raunchy filled act.

Needing medical staff dedicated to substance abuse? That sure sounds wild and fun...

hosekiller

Do they put this much time , effort and money to other special months like Black History month?
Shoot, pick any group. Breast cancer awareness. Autism? Down’s syndrome?

Personally, I don’t like labeling things. I like to think we are all humans when you get down to it. And I can’t help but feeling that when you pick one sub group to celebrate, you leave out all others. Doesn’t seem to inclusive to me.

Willmark

This makes me, a gay man, happy. Yes, there are double standard at play, and yes, Disney’s motivation isn’t entirely altruistic, but can’t we just be allowed to enjoy something that’s both fun and meaningful without people trying to crap all over it?
I’d say it depends on the person.

I’d also add, the part I bolded? In this day and age? No, because that rarely if ever extends to the things we dislike.

Personally? Sure. Celebrate whatever one wants how one wants to. At the same time I hold no illusions that others are so inclined to be reciprocal.

BubbaisSleep

Love it! Always wish I could have made Gay Days at DLR growing up, cool to see some cool items in June too.

I barely came out 3 years ago at the late age of 26 so it was fun to buy my first rainbow Mickey hat with my mom not too long after. It’s a very special hat now. What many may roll their eyes at or think they’re too cool for may mean a lot to others.

Jon81uk

I didn’t say they did.
As I said, having hundreds/thousands of LGBT+ people turning up in red shirts for 30 years shows there is a large number of people coming to the Magic Kingdom for that reason.
I think there is a multitude of reasons why Disney have increased their support of Pride, it’s partly following Pulse, partly due to the recent legislation, partly social change, but I also think that 30 years of Gay Days descending on their theme park helped show them there is a market for rainbow cupcakes to be brought out on the first Saturday in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom