Disney to sell baseball team

strutter

Original Poster
According to a report on CNN this morning, Disney is going to sell their Anaheim Angels baseball team for a reported $180 million. Hooray :sohappy:

Maybe they are starting to realize that they need to concentrate more on their core business of theme parks and get away from all of the other businesses they have.

Sherm00

see now here is where I think disney s wrong. I think disney's core business is family entertainment, and what is more entertaining or american then baseball. Ithink disney should move the team florida and build a stadium right in disney word and theme a whole area to baseball, add a resturant, etc. that would be really cooool. but then again, disney built it/s reputation on Family media and entertainment, like themeparks, books, music, video's movies, etc etc. one could only hope it's a good thing.

FLcastmember

Tampa Bay D-Rays and the Florida Marlins have some of the worse attendence figures in Baseball. Moving a THIRD team to Florida would be a mistake, bigger then California Adventure.

I think this is awesome. Theme parks and movies should really be there main priority. this money also can be used for a new park or cleaning up there alreay existant parks :animwink:

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Sherm00
see now here is where I think disney s wrong. I think disney's core business is family entertainment, and what is more entertaining or american then baseball. Ithink disney should move the team florida and build a stadium right in disney word and theme a whole area to baseball, add a resturant, etc. that would be really cooool. but then again, disney built it/s reputation on Family media and entertainment, like themeparks, books, music, video's movies, etc etc. one could only hope it's a good thing.
Anyone owning a baseball team right now is in a losing situation financially. Disney is correct to cut and run on this. The game of baseball might be American, but the business of baseball is what leaves a filthy stench on it.

Don L Duck

Originally posted by sandjhooker
Anyone owning a baseball team right now is in a losing situation financially. Disney is correct to cut and run on this. The game of baseball might be American, but the business of baseball is what leaves a filthy stench on it.
Excellent point I couldn't agree more.
Now is the time to sell since they just won the World Series.
Great turnaround on their investment.
Now they can get back to basics and get moving on improving.:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Main Street USA

When Disney bought the Angels they expected to make big bucks, and make them fast. Unfortunately, owning a Major League Baseball team doesn't make ANY owner big bucks over a short period of time and Disney wasn't expecting such a long term profit situation.

VERY soon after Disney bought the Angels they were in the market to sell. There have been multiple announcements such as this ever since the beginning of their ownership. No big surprise that the news has surfaced again.

TURKEY

Originally posted by FLcastmember
Tampa Bay D-Rays and the Florida Marlins have some of the worse attendence figures in Baseball. Moving a THIRD team to Florida would be a mistake, bigger then California Adventure.

Actually, I think it would be a good idea if Disney transportation was provided and the park was on property. As long as prices weren't too outrageous, it would draw vacationers in. I think that if it were ever to happen, which it's not, the Angels would outdraw the Marlins and Devil Rays.

bgraham34

It was going to happen. But I still think they are taking a loss because of spening 100 million or so on a new ballpark.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Actually, I think it would be a good idea if Disney transportation was provided and the park was on property. As long as prices weren't too outrageous, it would draw vacationers in. I think that if it were ever to happen, which it's not, the Angels would outdraw the Marlins and Devil Rays.
We could outdraw the Marlins and D-Rays combined just by having a wdwmagic softball pick-up game.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom