Disney to Reveal Ambitious Star Wars Plans

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'll go on record as saying Avatar 2 will be close to a career ending flop for Mr. Cameron.

He has his head so far up his.......

I tend to agree, Avatar had groundbreaking visuals which had never been done before (in 3D) Cameron basically invented practical 3D for the movies. The storyline (like most of Cameron's work) was meh at best, Unless Cameron raises the bar on 3D moviemaking once again I expect the sequels to perform at the 100-250 million range at best.

Fact is Cameron is a brilliant technologist, a gifted VISUAL artist but a below average storyteller.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just have a gut feeling that Avatar 2 is going to flop HUGE! I'm just curious, what would a major studio do if a $400 million film pulls in $47 million/domestic (with 3 more sequels already shot)?

What if WDW becomes associated with having a land based on the biggest flop in movie history?

In large part I think that's why the cutbacks happened, Soarin 2.0 can be repurposed, boat rides re themed In short lots of Yes Mr Iger its gonna be awesome, while the corporate machine is "how fast can we retheme" to something NOT Avatar and rejiggering construction schedules so Avatar specific stuff is done last.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With a choice of locales and experiences from three of the most popular, longest surviving and well known movies of all time, plus another three that are building the same reputation for people old and new, there is a literal galaxy of choices for anything from A-E rides.

It's almost laughable to have to wait for the home grown versions. Or are they really so averse to a phase two? They have an ultimate IP. They have a park crying out for it. Surely they are not that daft?

Bitter experience proves indeed they ARE that daft

Disneyhead'71

In large part I think that's why the cutbacks happened, Soarin 2.0 can be repurposed, boat rides re themed In short lots of Yes Mr Iger its gonna be awesome, while the corporate machine is "how fast can we retheme" to something NOT Avatar and rejiggering construction schedules so Avatar specific stuff is done last.
It quickly becomes a land entirely dedicated to the works of the famous prog rock band "Yes".
dean-avatar.jpg

Mike S

I just have a gut feeling that Avatar 2 is going to flop HUGE! I'm just curious, what would a major studio do if a $400 million film pulls in $47 million/domestic (with 3 more sequels already shot)?

What if WDW becomes associated with having a land based on the biggest flop in movie history?
If WDI can make something great, I don't think the success of the movies will matter much. Splash Mountain is a good example. The WaterWorld show at USH, USJ, and USS is another.

KCheatle

Why are they even asking about DL????

Cars Land being so awesome and being in Anaheim is ALL the more reason to devote AT LEAST as much to Star Wars (massively more popular, and the popularity spread over decades and essentially every age group) in Orlando. I think DCA and DL are pretty solid-- let's share the wealth (literally and figuratively) with WDW.

PhotoDave219

I tend to agree, Avatar had groundbreaking visuals which had never been done before (in 3D) Cameron basically invented practical 3D for the movies. The storyline (like most of Cameron's work) was meh at best, Unless Cameron raises the bar on 3D moviemaking once again I expect the sequels to perform at the 100-250 million range at best.

Fact is Cameron is a brilliant technologist, a gifted VISUAL artist but a below average storyteller.

Aliens and Terminator 2 were the best stories he has told.

JordanNite

Aliens and Terminator 2 were the best stories he has told.

Both Terminator movies were brilliant - story telling, directing. Aliens is a tour de force in directing. True Lies is a briliant movie. The Abyss another good movie. Whatever you may think of Titanic and Avatar they both captured the publics imagination - the sheer volume of box office and money the bought in is phenomenal.

Avatar 2 will be massive, because Cameron will push boundaries once again - he's a genius.

The fact Disney have bought the rights to this at their parks is a no brainer - with massive sequals on the horizon, it makes sense.

More people have seen Avatar than any other movie - let that fact sink it.

Matt_Black

We're talking about two different mediums. The film Newsies didn't exactly set the world on fire, but that hasn't prevented it from becoming a huge hit on Broadway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom