Rumor Disney To Remove "Magic Carpets Of Aladdin"

tl77

Over the years, I’ve known people who prefer the MK over DL for that exact reason: even though DL had more rides, it felt like a well-themed local park compared to the MK, which actually felt like a real place. The recent Toonification is destroying this vibe, and I don’t understand why WDI and Disney leadership don’t comprehend their own product...AT ALL.

WDW became the world’s most-visited and most-loved resort without preschool-friendly-marketing-toy crap cluttering everything.
I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, and Disneyland reminds me more of Hershey Park than Walt Disney World. Both Disneyland and Hershey Park have a lot of charm, a lot of rides, and a lot of history to them, and both are a great source of pride to the locals, but Disney World is a destination resort, it's an extended stay experience, and being immersed in this world that doesn't exist in reality is the reason to go there, it's different thing from a well-themed, "day trip" local park.

Goofyernmost

Jrb1979 said:
Who would have thought just slapping on IP on a ride doesn't draw people in. The parks were at their best when they had original attractions and not everything was IP based.
When was that exactly? Even Disneyland, at opening, was basically promoting movies that Disney created from purchased or long ago IP's. Epcot was the closest to creating from scratch, but it didn't last with the public and with the reality of the speed of innovations. Every park, new or old, has some original and things not connected to publicly familiar things, but not many.

Last edited:

tirian

And for the record, I don't have a problem with IP infusion into the parks conceptually, it's really all how it's done. You'll never see me complain about Peter Pan or Beauty and the Beast being featured in Fantasyland. Wanting to integrate the Pirates of the Caribbean films into the Pirates of the Caribbean ride is a natural and understandable impulse (though I have issues with how they did it).

But the scale is totally off-balance these days - the parks were at their best in basically every sense when the scale tipped towards original concepts with a smattering of attractions based on Movie Properties, and the parks that have never had that sort of balance have never had the same level of creative, cultural, or financial success.

You'd think someone up in management would have caught on by now.
As SWGE proved, Disney took the wrong lessons from the success of Uni’s Potter lands.

yensidtlaw1969

As SWGE proved, Disney took the wrong lessons from the success of Uni’s Potter lands.
What I want to know is, where is the reckoning?

I'm not, like, asking for people to lose their jobs - I really don't want that. But I haven't seen any evidence that Disney is walking out of that experience understanding WHERE they went wrong, instead of merely that they went wrong.

Galaxy's Edge is approaching 2 years of being open (in its incomplete form) at Disneyland. Have we seen any forthcoming projects receive meaningful reevaluation in its wake? Where's the course-correct?

So far I don't feel like I'm seeing that they've learned from that ordeal.

tirian

What I want to know is, where is the reckoning?

I'm not, like, asking for people to lose their jobs - I really don't want that. But I haven't seen any evidence that Disney is walking out of that experience understanding WHERE they went wrong, instead of merely that they went wrong.

Galaxy's Edge is approaching 2 years of being open (in its incomplete form) at Disneyland. Have we seen any forthcoming projects receive meaningful reevaluation in its wake? Where's the course-correct?

So far I don't feel like I'm seeing that they've learned.
Apologies to anyone who enjoys “Happily Ever After,” but I wonder similar things when I see disjointed night shows, awkward parades, and badly repainted buildings. I also understand the significance of losing a job and don’t wish bad things on anyone, but who’s responsible for all these bad decisions? And where are the standards?

Animaniac93-98

Apologies to anyone who enjoys “Happily Ever After,” but I wonder similar things when I see disjointed night shows, awkward parades, and badly repainted buildings. I also understand the significance of losing a job and don’t wish bad things on anyone, but who’s responsible for all these bad decisions? And where are the standards?

They got away with it because the tourists kept coming and the strategy of cost cutting and price hikes was enough to carry them over to the next quarter.

Now that revenue and attendance have collapsed, I get the impression that they've realized they can no longer just do whatever. Unfortunately for us, the panic has simply resulted in the halting of shows and construction while prices remain high.

yensidtlaw1969

Seriously. It's one thing if the occassional project doesn't hit the way you planned. No one bats a thousand every time. But when your team keeps repeating the same mistakes and seeing the same results without ever modifying the M.O. . . .

I just want to see some sort of pivot. The results are clearly calling for it, despite the occassional outlying success.

tirian

They got away with it because the tourists kept coming and the strategy of cost cutting and price hikes was enough to carry them over to the next quarter.

Now that revenue and attendance have collapsed, I get the impression that they've realized they can no longer just do whatever. Unfortunately for us, the panic has simply resulted in the halting of shows and construction while prices remain high.
I hate to tell you this, but WDW’s crowd levels amidst a pandemic have proven just the opposite. Cut restaurants, entertainment, parades, and hours, and guests will still come and pay full price. That’s the current lesson.

yensidtlaw1969

That's the crux of this - it's not enough for them just to vaguely recognize they can't get away with "whatever". They need to have a clear vision for what to be doing instead. Does anyone here see any evidence that they have that?

Rise of the Resistance seems to best typify the direction they SHOULD be going, given its critical and financial success - but what do we think the odds are that they'll be going to that kind of trouble again any time soon?

Animaniac93-98

I hate to tell you this, but WDW’s crowd levels amidst a pandemic have proven just the opposite. Cut restaurants, entertainment, parades, and hours, and guests will still come and pay full price. That’s the current lesson.

I've seen more than a few posts here and elsewhere like "I'm just glad to go to WDW again".

The standards and expectations those people had before went out the window. The fans are desperate just to see Mickey again and they'll pay whatever to do so.

But they can't match 2019 attendance levels. There's still on property hotels closed. There's only so much the faithful can do to compensate for all the lost international, convention, business, school trip and regular occasional guest numbers.

tirian

I've seen more than a few posts here and elsewhere like "I'm just glad to go to WDW again".

The standards and expectations those people had before went out the window. The fans are desperate just to see Mickey again and they'll pay whatever to do so.

But they can't match 2019 attendance levels. There's still on property hotels closed. There's only so much the faithful can do to compensate for all the lost international, convention, business, school trip and regular occasional guest numbers.
As you know (because we’ve all discussed it many times ;) ), attendance had indeed been falling for years. Disney hid it by pushing money around and refused to release official numbers.

Back when Spirit was on these boards, he frequently mentioned that Tokyo’s attendance was higher than Florida’s, yet the company would fudge the numbers to keep WDW in the #1 spot. (It’s easy if you count Disney Springs, water parks, hotel restaurants, etc.)

yensidtlaw1969

How often have you heard people say "WDW guests get what they deserve"?

I had hoped this would be the breaking point. WDW deserves better than its guests accept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom