Disney to increase the number of FastPass+ entitlements per day and include park hopping

PrincessNelly_NJ

I just don't see how this will make the system better... The fact that SSE had a 60 minute wait right now is mind blogging to me... I can't imagine allowing even more people to use fastpass+ for rides that seem to have a hard time keeping up with the lines.

sporadic

Here; http://atdisneyagain.com/2014/01/27/making-the-band-magicband-teardown-and-more/
This is the most descriptive article that I've found on the MB set up.
The bottom of the article has links to all of the device specs which are Public knowledge.

Unfortunately full of inaccuracies too... but at least he makes it easy for people to find the FCC filings :)

The FCC docs are what I were looking at when I noticed the TI chip used in the xBR transceivers. I skimmed over the article itself but really just went straight to the data. One good little chunk was in the compliance opinion for the xBRv4 which sheds a little light on the details:

The model xBRV4 device functions as part of a wireless location system. It includes circuitry
providing a proprietary wireless system as well as ethernet connectivity to the rest of the
infrastructure equipment. It is designed for and used by a single customer in a large amusement
park setting. This application is for the approval of a single radio that transmits at 2482 MHz
occupying a 1 MHz wide channel. Normal operation transmits data in approximately 200 uS once
each second. The device will only be installed by qualified installation personnel.

Assuming the band utilizes the nRF24LE1, the configuration would be the following:
1Mbps data rate (correlates to 1MHz wide channel per datasheet)
Channel 82 (2482MHz - 2400Mhz per datasheet)

As for 200us once per second, this screams beacon query to me.
The ToA (Time on Air) for a fully configured / loaded nRF24 packet (5 byte address, 32 byte payload, 2 byte CRC) is 329us @ 1Mbps ((8(1+addr_len+payload_len+crc_len)+9)/datarate). Given the 200us figure is well below that number tells us everything is in one packet which makes sense for a beacon query. Interested in what it includes given the TX time is much longer than an empty broadcast. Probably a key, command, or return address for the beacon reply. Sniffing addresses for nRF24 devices isn't that difficult and once the global broadcast address is found, it's just a matter of sample collection and analysis before you too can track your own band totin' patrons :)

DisneyCane

Assuming the band utilizes the nRF24LE1, the configuration would be the following:
1Mbps data rate (correlates to 1MHz wide channel per datasheet)

Where are you getting the data rate from? The data rate depends on the type of modulation used. Also, a 1MHz channel does not use the entire 1MHZ. There is a safety buffer on both sides so it doesn't interfere with adjacent channels. If designed for weak signals there will be a very low data rate, nothing near 1Mbps. There will be maximum error correction overhead plus you'd want as much energy per bit (i.e. less bits for a given unit of time).

sporadic

Where are you getting the data rate from? The data rate depends on the type of modulation used. Also, a 1MHz channel does not use the entire 1MHZ. There is a safety buffer on both sides so it doesn't interfere with adjacent channels. If designed for weak signals there will be a very low data rate, nothing near 1Mbps. There will be maximum error correction overhead plus you'd want as much energy per bit (i.e. less bits for a given unit of time).
Deducted from what's stated in the Nordic datasheet, stated transmission times in the FCC doc, and ToA calculations for the NRF24LE1. Modulation is always GFSK. It's a turnkey RF SoC and the on air protocol is already defined. The nRF24 plus series radios can only be configured for 250kbps, 1Mbps and 2Mbps. 250kbps seemed more likely but it doesn't coincide with the timing they stated as ToA would be over twice what they stated for even an empty packet. Much longer with a payload of course.

EDIT: My personal experience is with the nRF24L01+ radios via SPI. The nRF24LE1 is the same radio, just includes an embedded 8051 microcontroller.

Last edited:

doctornick

With the higher crowds this week are issues still persistent at the Fastpass+ entrances? Are there still queues setup outside of the Fastpass+ queue?

So, I just got back from WDW. We used FP+ at MK, Epcot and DHS. We did not have more than a marginal wait at any attraction at Epcot and DHS (and at Epcot we did Soarin'/TT/Maelstrom in one day due to the "glitch" in the system), comparable to paper FP. Never more than a few people at the first scanners.

In MK, we had some short waits at Splash and BTMRR at the entrances -- maybe 10-15 people but nothing like the snaking lines I've seen posted on here. There was roped queues set up at the FP+ entrance, which were only maybe a third used and not visually intrusive. After getting through the first scanners, we rushed through the (empty) indoor queue and got on the rides relatively soon. I didn't see much of a difference compared to paper FP+.

The one line we did get was for Space yesterday. It rained pretty heavily and we had Splash FP+ but it was shut down. So we went over to Space around when the rain stopped and there was a noticeable line of about 30-40 people outside of the first scanner for FP+. The line moved quickly though and once we were inside we got on quickly. I would say we waited about 15-20 minutes from getting into the line. My guess is that other people were like us and used our "use on any ride" FP+ from Splash to go to a working Space which drove up the line for Space.

Question: if you are at DHS or Epcot and you have a FP+ for a "tier 2" ride that shuts down and can use that FP+ on "any ride", can you use it on a "tier 1" ride? Example: you have a FP+ for Nemo at Epcot, Nemo goes down, can you then use that golden "use on any ride" FP+ to go on Test Track?

Also, more general, can you use that "go on any ride" FP+ to do a repeat ride? Like you used FP+ for BTMRR, then you go to use a FP+ for Splash but it is down. Can you then use that Splash FP+ to go on BTMRR again?

lebeau

So, I just got back from WDW. We used FP+ at MK, Epcot and DHS. We did not have more than a marginal wait at any attraction at Epcot and DHS (and at Epcot we did Soarin'/TT/Maelstrom in one day due to the "glitch" in the system), comparable to paper FP. Never more than a few people at the first scanners.

What "glitch" is that?

JohnD

There was a day or two about 1-2 months ago where the restrictions at Epcot and DHS were not present. It happened after they updated the website for FP+ and then they fixed it.

I made use of it too. I planned on being in Epcot on April 6-7. When the glitch was present, I made FP+ for Test Track and Maelstrom on Day 1 and Soarin' and Illuminations on Day 2.

Last edited:

cw1982

What "glitch" is that?

Yeah, I just keep hoping that, when they add more FP+ after the first three, we'll be able to reset our tier limits and get another tier one option out of the list. Of course, that requires there being anything tier one available after you've used your first three passes, so on busier days that's probably a non-issue.

lebeau

Yeah, I just keep hoping that, when they add more FP+ after the first three, we'll be able to reset our tier limits and get another tier one option out of the list. Of course, that requires there being anything tier one available after you've used your first three passes, so on busier days that's probably a non-issue.

The only tier that really bothers me is at Epcot. The tier two FPs are pointless. Not a single one of them should have FP. At the very least, Maelstrom and the Character Spot should be tier 2. Then I would feel like I got at least a little use out of my tier 2 FPs. Instead, I just have to try to burn through them as fast as I can so I can maybe score a second useful FP before they are all gone.

RSoxNo1

In MK, we had some short waits at Splash and BTMRR at the entrances -- maybe 10-15 people but nothing like the snaking lines I've seen posted on here. There was roped queues set up at the FP+ entrance, which were only maybe a third used and not visually intrusive. After getting through the first scanners, we rushed through the (empty) indoor queue and got on the rides relatively soon. I didn't see much of a difference compared to paper FP+.

The one line we did get was for Space yesterday. It rained pretty heavily and we had Splash FP+ but it was shut down. So we went over to Space around when the rain stopped and there was a noticeable line of about 30-40 people outside of the first scanner for FP+. The line moved quickly though and once we were inside we got on quickly. I would say we waited about 15-20 minutes from getting into the line. My guess is that other people were like us and used our "use on any ride" FP+ from Splash to go to a working Space which drove up the line for Space.

Question: if you are at DHS or Epcot and you have a FP+ for a "tier 2" ride that shuts down and can use that FP+ on "any ride", can you use it on a "tier 1" ride? Example: you have a FP+ for Nemo at Epcot, Nemo goes down, can you then use that golden "use on any ride" FP+ to go on Test Track?

Also, more general, can you use that "go on any ride" FP+ to do a repeat ride? Like you used FP+ for BTMRR, then you go to use a FP+ for Splash but it is down. Can you then use that Splash FP+ to go on BTMRR again?
Thanks for the info. I think most of us suspected that the lines outside the FP entrances would diminish, glad to hear that they are.

To your question about using the "use any ride" FP+ that's received on a tier 2 attraction the explanation of replacement Fastpasses indicated that it would have to be in the same tier. The language I had on my site was during a time when tiers weren't in place, but my expectation is that it would stay true to the tiers.

Rob562

I don't know about how the replacements work with the tiers, but I do know that you cannot use the replacement "wildcard" FP+ for an attraction you already have (or had) a FP+ reservation for that day. In the email they send you, the list of attractions you can use it on shouldn't include your other FP+ choices as options.

-Rob

gmajew

Premium Member
The only down side I had during my trip in March was the number of rides you could pick for Epcot... Listing Malestrom or how every you spell it as tier 1 is horrible.

You should be able to get on both test track and soarin the same day.

Otherwise the system was great... We did have a few times when the line to get in an attraction was outside the gate but it was always caused by someone trying to get on twice or before their time.

loveysbydesign

HELP!!
So we just booked a last minute trip for memorial day week 5/24-31, off-site. We have not been there since the new FP system began. I was planning to purchase tix. from Undecovertourist but since I am almost at 30 days out I'm not sure that would be the best option in regards to getting good FP choices, as they will not come til 2 weeks before our trip.
So ....the enigma I have is where to buy them so I can get them the quickest and book our FP online? Or do I just wait and get tix. from UCT and then get FP's once we get to the parks?

I am really struggling with this as we were major FP users, we'd use 6-8 per day depending on the park we were at. Plus they still have not added parkhopper options for using FP, correct? So I figure why buy PH passes for this trip?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom