Disney to buy Indianapolis Motor Speedway???

Cuseorng1

Original Poster
Just a rumor, but found this info:

Word is rumbling through the motorsports community that the Indianapolis Motorspeedway may be for sale. The bidders appear to include the France family and thier massive International Speedway Corporation empire and the Disney Corporation which would no doubt covet the incredible Indy complex as a centerpiece of its thriving theme part business. The Hulman family property is in the hands of Tony George, the well respected grandson of Anton (Tony) Hulman who purchased the speedway in 1945 from World War I flying ace Eddie Rickenbacker for a reported $750,000.(Car and Driver Magazine)(3-7-2006)

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Cuseorng1 said:

Word is rumbling through the motorsports community that the Indianapolis Motorspeedway may be for sale. The bidders appear to include the France family and thier massive International Speedway Corporation empire and the Disney Corporation which would no doubt covet the incredible Indy complex as a centerpiece of its thriving theme part business. The Hulman family property is in the hands of Tony George, the well respected grandson of Anton (Tony) Hulman who purchased the speedway in 1945 from World War I flying ace Eddie Rickenbacker for a reported $750,000.(Car and Driver Magazine)(3-7-2006)

Yep....caught a blurb of this on speedvision the other day.

There are a good many things on this board that I can't speak with any authority on , and I am by no means going to say that I have any idea how this is going to turn out - BUT.... I have to disagree with the "...well respected grandson..." bit. Tony George is one half of why open wheel racing in this country is in failing health. On the list of things to look for during this years 500, see if you can spot 33 cars. Im hoping there will be, but it does not look good. I've been to the Indy 500 in person for 14 years now, and I can say that the way things have gone has been very frustrating.

Im not sure what direction Disney would take things, but anything would be better than what we currently have.

Tom

Beta Return
Cuseorng1 said:

Hmmm...perhaps I'll have to ask Tony next time I see him. Or have my Priest ask him when he does their family Mass before the 500 :p

Seems unlikely that he'd sell, as much work as he's been putting into it lately. Also seems odd that Disney would be interested in purchasing it. Hmmm...if they do, would that make me a Cast Member since I work there seasonally?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Cuseorng1 said:
...and the Disney Corporation which would no doubt covet the incredible Indy complex as a centerpiece of its thriving theme part business...
Help me out here...how would this be the centerpiece? :confused:

MickeyTigg

I'm not sure I like this. What happened to "concentrating on their core businesses"? Disney would be wandering into an area that they really know nothing about. Yes....I know they have a little track on property but running that is not running the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

I think I'd prefer that Disney take a pass on this.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
edwardtc said:
Hmmm...if they do, would that make me a Cast Member since I work there seasonally?

It would be the round-about approach but yeah...I think you could claim it on the taxes...:D

I need May to hurry up and get here....I need some Whitecastle and a steak from Alcatraz Brewing Co. Mmmmmm....

Tom

Beta Return
Horizons78 said:
It would be the round-about approach but yeah...I think you could claim it on the taxes...:D

I need May to hurry up and get here....I need some Whitecastle and a steak from Alcatraz Brewing Co. Mmmmmm....

Mmmmmm....Alcatraz! Then a long weekend of beer and sliders!

I doubt this is even remotely true, but if so, I'm definately going to claim Cast Membership come may when I don that bright yellow shirt again. Look for me in Gasoline Alley!

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
edwardtc said:
Mmmmmm....Alcatraz! Then a long weekend of beer and sliders!

LoL......When I was younger I use to go for the first weekend of qualifying and then back for the race weekend.

For qualifying I always wanted to set some sort of a record for eating sliders at the track and have Tom Carnegie call it over the public address:
"It's a newwww, traaaaack, record!" . . . . :lol:

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Connor002 said:
One word: Why?

Alright... maybe a few more words:
Why would Disney want to buy a racetrack?

Well, the only thing I could possibly conceive would be to get a bigger tie-in to Nascar. Open wheel racing, although my favorite, isn't doing very well at all these days.

If Disney did own the track they would have access to three different events with the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400, and if they can patch the huge public relations wound after last years dismal events - a Formula 1 race to boot.

I would certainly think that if they wanted to be in leauge with Nascar it would be a good deal more financially feasible to simply approach the organization rather than purchasing the track.

Personally I would like to see it either not sell or at least sell to someone who will continue to work to make open wheel racing better. Hearing that Nascar's France family is interested kinda scares me as I doubt very seriously that they care whether the Indy 500 survives so long as they get the Nascar event or possibly events there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom