Disney testing Virtual Queues at its Walt Disney World water parks

raven

I am currently at Typhoon Lagoon and can confirm that this is NOT happening today, or at least hasn't happened yet today.
Today isn't April 7th.
Universal announced a little while back they would be using virtual Queues at their new water park too.
Not "too." The word youbare looking for is "already."
Umm. You could say the exact same thing about what Universal is doing. Universal didn't invent the idea of a virtual queue.

What they've implemented at Jimmy Fallon is cool but it's basically an exact copy of what Disney tested over half a decade ago at Rock'n Roller coaster.
It's a first for Orlando still. Disney is obviously trying, once again, to make it look like his was their idea, so when VB opens it will look like Uni stole it from Disney. I think the article clearly states Disney's intentions.

peter11435

It's a first for Orlando still. Disney is obviously trying, once again, to make it look like his was their idea, so when VB opens it will look like Uni stole it from Disney. I think the article clearly states Disney's intentions.

At a water park it's a first for Orlando.. Yes. But the concept is not original or revolutionary. Obviously Disney is trying to implement first to beat Universal. But you can't say that Disney is copying Universal and not acknowledge that Volcano Bays system and well as Jimmy Fallon's and Express Pass are all copies themselves.

As for Disney's intentions. I am sure they are to beat Universal. But this was a post on a Disney fan site not an article or a press release so it does not clearly state 'Disney's' intentions.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am currently at Typhoon Lagoon and can confirm that this is NOT happening today, or at least hasn't happened yet today.
The info I had was for it to begin today, like most tests though, that may change. Keep an eye out this afternoon if you get a chance.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At a water park it's a first for Orlando.. Yes. But the concept is not original or revolutionary. Obviously Disney is trying to implement first to beat Universal. But you can't say that Disney is copying Universal and not acknowledge that Volcano Bays system and well as Jimmy Fallon's and Express Pass are all copies themselves.

As for Disney's intentions. I am sure they are to beat Universal. But this was a post on a Disney fan site not an article or a press release so it does not clearly state 'Disney's' intentions.

Yet Disney did not invent the 'virtual queue' either, The honors for that belong to Wal Mart!

https://www.google.com/patents/US9514422

Ah Disney Innovating from behind as always under Iger...

rushtest4echo

Sweet Jesus.

It's like Disney's never looked at a competitor's offerings and thought "that may be a profitable idea".

Yes, Disney is taking a page from Universal's book right here. They're applying virtual queuing to a water park. They're also taking Universal's step of attempting to eliminate the queues. Innovative, copycatting, whatever.

Stop trying to disparage Universal!

When Disney uses technology or procedures offered at a competitor, it's copycatting/stealing/not leading.
When Universal does the same, it's industry leading innovation.

Come on, get with the program.

What Fallon did by providing a return widget and then calling groups from a themed playground like waiting area is innovative. Dumbo of several years earlier wasn't anything of the sort. It was in fact a cash grab by Staggs or Iger or Pressler or Eisner. Greedy, not innovative.

Last edited:

raven

Not the first, no, but it's quite obvious to just about everyone what they are doing. Instead of taking the high road and coming up with a new technology or even perfecting the current one, they've decided to take the low road and get publicity for just "testing" it. Let's face it, Disney is going to take every chance it gets nowadays to knock out any competition even if that means tossing out the business ethics and professionalism they were built upon. They know guests have many options in Orlando now but recently some of their press releases seem blatant and desperate. Just what I see.

rushtest4echo

I guess this is what comes from actually being the industry leader though. Disney eliminates the need to queue at a park more than a decade ago, and it's "wow they're taking people out of queues to make a buck, all the while overcrowding the park". Universal applies it to a water park and it's "guest service oriented, innovative and revolutionary". Disney follows suit on the water park thing and now they're following. Got it. It's like having Potter in two parks. If Disney tried something similar it'd be armageddon- "Look at what Disney's doing by forcing fans to by multi park tickets, is there no line Disney won't cross to make a buck and drive demand for more than one park?" Universal does it an it's "shrewd, innovative, genius".

seascape

Not the first, no, but it's quite obvious to just about everyone what they are doing. Instead of taking the high road and coming up with a new technology or even perfecting the current one, they've decided to take the low road and get publicity for just "testing" it. Let's face it, Disney is going to take every chance it gets nowadays to knock out any competition even if that means tossing out the business ethics and professionalism they were built upon. They know guests have many options in Orlando now but recently some of their press releases seem blatant and desperate. Just what I see.
I say give Comcast credit for this but that does not mean Disney should not copy. For that matter who cares who was the first company to use Flash Pass of front of line pass or whatever its called? Disney came up with fast Pass and fast pass plus. I like them all and every park should take what is good from other parks. Who cares who gets credit and who copies, it's the consumer who wins if they copy the good.

peter11435

Where exactly is Disney trying to get publicity for this? They haven't advertised or marketed it in anyway.

Do you think they should just ignore their competitors and not try to implement something similar that will potentially improve the guest experience and guest spending?

rushtest4echo

What business ethics and professionalism are in question here? Beating someone to market with a product or service, one that can be developed, tested and deployed within a matter of days isn't unethical. Universal doesn't hold any patents on virtual queueing (in fact they're buying the product from one of the many vendors that sells this stuff to parks all over the world). Is it a reaction to Universal? Sure it is. Just as building MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom were reactions to Universal's moves in Orlando. Universal reacted to Star Tours by building BTTF. That's how the industry works.

Seriously, this is about as stupid an argument as saying that Boeing isn't ethical because they offered a stretch of a 777 to compete with a similar product from Airbus. Or that Airbus offered a higher cabin pressure on a new model of plane because Boeing had done so. Except it's not even an argument that logical. It's more like saying "United copied American when they ordered an A350... what a bunch of non-innovators" or "Lexus copied Mercedes when they offered heated seats". Why is any of that relevant? There's no ethics to it though. And if they're usurping/damaging someone's business model, it's the company(s) that have developed and deployed this tech at theme parks for over a decade which isn't Universal. This is the equivalent of saying Sea World copied Universal when they built Kraken right after Hulk. They're both similar products from the same vendor. They opened a year apart. One was clearly a reaction to the other. There's nothing ethically wrong with that.

Where exactly is Disney trying to get publicity for this? They haven't advertised or marketed it in anyway.

Do you think they should just ignore their competitors and not try to implement something similar that will potentially improve the guest experience and guest spending?

That's actually exactly what some people think (and expect) Disney should do. They seem to think everything Disney ever does should be earth shattering like Universal is doing. :joyfull:

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I guess this is what comes from actually being the industry leader though. Disney eliminates the need to queue at a park more than a decade ago, and it's "wow they're taking people out of queues to make a buck, all the while overcrowding the park". Universal applies it to a water park and it's "guest service oriented, innovative and revolutionary". Disney follows suit on the water park thing and now they're following. Got it. It's like having Potter in two parks. If Disney tried something similar it'd be armageddon- "Look at what Disney's doing by forcing fans to by multi park tickets, is there no line Disney won't cross to make a buck and drive demand for more than one park?" Universal does it an it's "shrewd, innovative, genius".

Now you're getting it. :D A few more "training sessions" and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete. :p

rocketraccoon

What I'm getting from this thread is that either MGM Studios/Hollywood Studios or Universal Studios Florida should've never been opened (not sure which one was confirmed/announced first).

Will anyone actually care if Disney or Universal does this first? Even if they put it in permanently tomorrow it'll still be less than 2 months from Volcano Bay opening up. Disney hasn't made a big deal of this whatsoever so I'm really not sure why it matters.

disney4life2008

Umm. You could say the exact same thing about what Universal is doing. Universal didn't invent the idea of a virtual queue.

What they've implemented at Jimmy Fallon is cool but it's basically an exact copy of what Disney tested over half a decade ago at Rock'n Roller coaster.

Exactly.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
The info I had was for it to begin today, like most tests though, that may change. Keep an eye out this afternoon if you get a chance.

Checked late in the afternoon. Still nothing. Ride was up and down all day from 11 am on, though, so they might have canceled the test due to technical difficulties. We rode 3 times from 10-10:30 with literally no wait. But after that, it was hit or miss due to intermittent downtime.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This thread is reading very oddly. Do we really believe the Disney should either do something first or not at all? Uni had a good idea, and Disney is trying to come up with their own version of it. That what you're supposed to do when somebody else comes up with a good idea. The time to complain about Disney being behind was when Uni announced their version, not when Disney tries to catch up. Of course they'll try to catch up.

UpAllNight

The takeaway I get from this is that Disney care again. They care how they're perceived...they are putting some thought into the guest experience again. This is a small step, but shows they've got an eye on what a Universal do once more. So much for them not caring. This is good news, with Universals third (erm,fourth?) park and Nintendo on the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom