Disney sweepstakes question

meekoman

Original Poster
I was looking at the lastest edition of Disney Insider and was reading the rules section of the Disney Dreams sweepstakes. On the bottom line is reads:
"For residents of Canada, a mathematical skill-testing question must be correctly answered to win any prize."
I have seen this in the past with other sweepstakes.
Does anyone know why Canadians have to be able to add and subtract?

Cynderella

I saw that too and I was like Wow that seems kinda harsh. Not really fair. But I dont know the reasoning behind it either.

Disneyfalcon

Meekoman, as I understand it, Canadians have a law that they can not win contests where there is not some level of skill involved. For instance they could not win Publishers Clearing House - random drawing, no skill involved. So to enable Canadians to be eligible to win this completely random contest, Disney asks a math problem!

I could have the details wrong, so anyone feel free to correct me.:wave:

Rob562

Meekoman, as I understand it, Canadians have a law that they can not win contests where there is not some level of skill involved. For instance they could not win Publishers Clearing House - random drawing, no skill involved. So to enable Canadians to be eligible to win this completely random contest, Disney asks a math problem!

I could have the details wrong, so anyone feel free to correct me.:wave:

That's the gist of it. This topic comes up every month or two on here, so if you do a search for it I'm sure you'll find a number of discussions, as well as full explanations from some Canadian residents.

-Rob

Captain NoBeard

I am from Canada, and you are right. There is a law in the Lottery and Gaming Commission that basically states that you cannot give anything away for free. (I think it's there basically to help regulate things and prevent any possible scam.) Since lottery/contest/game winnings are not taxable, any prize would be a free give-away.
As a result, a contest/game can only be done if there is some "work" or "test" as part of it. This requirement can be satisfied by a skill-testing question (i.e. math).
It may seem like a pain, but you get used to it.

maelstrom

What if you can't answer the question? That would really suck. I'm so bad at math. If the question wasn't something like 2+2=?, I'd be toast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom