Disney Studio updates from 3/01

bamboo7

Originally posted by Matt56
What's going on in front of MGM?

at the front of all 4 parks, they are building permanant structures for security to condut the bag checks. these will replace the tents that they had been using.

imagineersrock

any estimations as to when all of the parks will have the new saftey check areas completed?? -i'll be going in about 3 weeks and would liketo see them all done if possible!!

-and oh ya, I HATE THE HAT!!! GRRRR........:fork:

bamboo7

they won't have ALL the construction done by then, but a few stations might be. you'll be able to see the progress though.

stale32441

Originally posted by WDW1971

Why are they trying to take attention away from GMR?

For the same reason they want you to call it 'The Disney Studios.'
Disney is not happy with MGM, so the change some merchandise and build a big attention getter in front of MGM's attraction.

prberk

Originally posted by WDW1971
Why are they trying to take attention away from GMR?

It seems patently obvious to me that they are preparing to get rid of the Chinese Theatre. They have made the hat the new icon for the park. This may be because the real Mann Chinese Theatre (originally Grauman's Chinese) in Hollywood is owned by the Mann Theatre Chain, and is located directly across the street (almost) from the El Capitan Entertainment Center and Theatre that Disney bought and renovated at great expense. It is where they broadcast Jimmy Kimmel Live from, but it is also an historic theatre where all Disney movies now premiere. Mann Chinese is a major competitor now. The timing of distraction from the GMR directly correlates to Disney's big spending on the El Capitan enterprise in Hollywood. I would guess that Disney no longer wants to pay royalties to Mann for the use of the Chinese Theatre's image when it distracts from their own Hollywood landmark now.

As for the One Man's Dream exhibit, I firmly believe that it should be moved permanently to the Magic Kingdom and stay in the space originally occupied on Main Street, USA, by The Walt Disney Story. That attraction was housed for many years in the white exhibition hall to the right as you go in. A fitting tribute to Walt, it belongs in his Magic Kingdom, just as Roy O. had designed when he build the resort that carried his brother's name.

imagineersrock

i personally would be crushed to see the GMR go, or even just the chinese theatre exterior for that matter (i think its gorgeous, and fits the park so well. opposed to that hat from hell (anyone who's seen me in these posts here before know of my passionate hatred of the hat (or at least its location) as for those ideas i'v heard here [and let me remind you they are nothing more than ideas] to move the hat to the fantasmic area; i think that's genius and if thats where the darn thing would origionally have popped up i probably would have loved it.

anyway, thats all... oh yea, and good points PRBERK -i agree

Frontierland

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
How would people get in or out ? :lol:

I don't think they have to put it on the sidewalk exactly, just where there is a open space of grass or could take down some trees and put it there. Actually, I have no clue what I am saying, I just thought of the idea in like a minute. :D

Joeker

on the other hand...if you moved the big hat down to the front of Fantasmic you would create another problem ->

with its size, the Hat would at least partially impair one's view of the TOT for guests coming down Sunset Blvd

then everybody on the meassage boards would be up in arms again over how Disney could block such a great building/themed area

why not leave the hat where it is, keep the GMR and partially re-do it to include more nods to Disney films ( both animated and live action)...you could then incorparate the BigHat as the entrance to this revived Great Movie Ride!

RogueHabit

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
How would people get in or out ? :lol:
Of you take away all the stuff underneath, which was one of the last bits to go in, and just leave the hat and it's three support struts then that would be no problem what so ever.

I thinbk it should become the enterance to Fantasmic, I remember ages ago this idea was touted, before the hat was even finsihed.

Chad

Well, here's what I think.
#1 If you move the hat to fantasmic, it would fit nicely in that 'half way' circular courtyard that sits in the middle of the long, winding path back to the ampitheatre. But seriously guys, with the Strocaster in one corner, and the huge ToT in another, would youreally want another big ol' icon down poor Sunset Boulevard? It's lready overly weighed down with attrations..

#2 A betterplace would be somewhere in th Animation Courtyard, I've always thought that they should connect the courtyard behind the brown derby and overto the bathroom area of RnRC, to help traffic flow, maybe the icon could be the gateway into that area? (Throw in a Dark Ride featuring all of the old Mickey Mouse Cartoons, and it fits in nicely)

#3 Or, it can stay where it is...But they need to take down theoriginal theatre if thisis the case, and make the rear of the hat fit better. I'm a pass holder, and I've seen it many a times, and They could make it fit in justas well as they made the Europen castle fit into 1900's Main Street America. But it needs some work. And I totally agree about the revamping the GMR make it more disney..Replae Tarzan wih a scene from "Chicago", "The cell block tango" would be great to add in on one side, and then on the other, throw in a scene from 'All that Jazz", keep the lucas references (indy, cause he has a show in the park), and add 'Signs' in instead of "Aliens". I'm trying to think of a good replacement for 'Casablanca', If this new 'View from the Top" movie does good, then they would be able to put it in there, which would add a new section that wasn't touched on, Comedy. Leave the Ganster/Western scenes, refer to them as genres instead of refering to actua films, that woud cut out MGM there, and then, Keep Wizard of oz, thats such a magicl scene, don't try to take it out. Make the finale montage on a circle vision screen ad have te base rotate around, that'd spice the endng up. Ok, I'm done.

JTinCT

Hat=New Icon

OK, i dont understand why its hard for people to believe this, but... the hat is staying where it is... it cost 10million dollars to make, so they're not getting rid of it. It is now becoming the new Icon for the Studios, it will (unfortunately) never be moved or taken down... the Eyes and Ears officially said it is becoming the new icon, and i think we all knew this when they built it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom