* Disney Stores Sold *

epcot71

eisner recently said in interview that disney even if sold will still be part of disney just owned under different company with licensing deal.he said it will be like the relationship between olc and disney with disney store japan and tokyo disneyland.what this would mean is even though another company would be the official owner and disney got royalties disney store cast members would still have to abide by disney standards so u wouldnt walk in to a disney store and see a guy name "thrash" with a nose ring and purple hair.id imagine that they would get some type of discounts at disney parks maybe the same as before. they probable rehire existing cms for new company.
not sure but it might not even really effect the shopping experiene at all just ccm paychecks will be from differnet compnay-have to wait and see i guess

DOUG

Warner Bros. tried selling their stores a few years ago...it didn't work.....they closed all of their stores. If no one is willing to buy the Disney Store......then it's gone too.

VILLAINSRULE

I am sure there will be a LOT of Disney Stores that will be closing, but I dont think they will just shut the doors on the franchise as a whole......There is definitely good news from the new guy in charge, Andy Mooney---his latest note to the stores communicated that they will be altering the mix of merchandise, and adding back Adult and Infant products in both hardlines and softlines----definitely by the holiday season........so there are changes coming to the stores, and changes for the better (so pass the word to your fellow Disney addicts, it will soon be safe to come back to the stores again).....couple that with getting rid of the "dead wood" stores, well, things are hopefully looking up for the Disney Stores! I think the Disney Stores are important to Disney as a whole--it is sort of the link that keeps Disney fans in touch with what is new and happening in the world of Disney. I think that Mike and Co. are smart enough to realize the positive synergy that is created by the Disney Stores translates into not only store sales, but also gets people excited to go to Disney World or Disney Land. it is a great circle between the two entities---people seem to always come into the Disney store after their Disney vacation--they always say they come in to get their "Disney fix"....and inevitably they end up buying a boat load of stuff.....and planning their next vacation to Disney.......(is there anywhere else to vacation? I have heard rumors there are other places out there, but I cant imagine that being true! LOL)

trekkie

Eisner has yet to "get it" when it comes to Disney. It is not like this change in TDS is a sudden change of heart or anything. Believe me: I am happy that TDS is attempting to become "Disney" again, but it's not due to Eisner being "smart about" it. If this were so, why did he allow TDS to turn into pure crap?

VILLAINSRULE

As dumb as some of the moves made under Mike and Co's watch, it is still far better than any other management that preceded him after Walt and Roy passed away.......The downhill slope that the Disney Stores started on cannot be placed solely at his feet...I think the fault that is his is that he had the wrong man at the helm, which I think is quite often a mistake Mike makes.......for example, Paul Pressler---and I think that oftentimes the people Mike puts in charge are not the creative geniuses that fuel Disney, but rather he takes the bean counters who are a stake in the heart of any Disney enterprise. So hopefully Andy Mooney can put provide some of the missing magic for The Disney Stores, and hopefully it is not the time to say goodbye.......

VILLAINSRULE

I think the Frank Wells as savior concept has become a rallying cry for anti-Eisner people......It is too easy to say that things would have been better with Frank around because no one knows what he would have done. He was a nuts and bolts guy, a business man first and foremost, and I think his course would have been to watch the bottom line, as is the way with businessmean.......I am not an Eisner apologist, but I do think that he has done a LOT right, and I think that he deserves credit----Disney is not great by accident, it had to have a strong guiding hand, and for better or worse for the last 20 years it has been Eisner. My fervent hope is that he doesnt shut the doors on the Disney Stores, because just my opinion, but I think they are an important arm of the Disney company...........:animwink:

MrPromey

Originally posted by VILLAINSRULE
I think the Frank Wells as savior concept has become a rallying cry for anti-Eisner people......It is too easy to say that things would have been better with Frank around because no one knows what he would have done. He was a nuts and bolts guy, a business man first and foremost, and I think his course would have been to watch the bottom line, as is the way with businessmean.......I am not an Eisner apologist, but I do think that he has done a LOT right, and I think that he deserves credit----Disney is not great by accident, it had to have a strong guiding hand, and for better or worse for the last 20 years it has been Eisner. My fervent hope is that he doesnt shut the doors on the Disney Stores, because just my opinion, but I think they are an important arm of the Disney company...........:animwink:

A few other things of note in regards to Eisner is that he was considered to be more of a creative guy by many in Hollywood before he ended up with Disney. In fact, several board members from Disney in the 80’s had been quoted as saying they often had to scale him back when his ideas would get too far fetched (a hotel in the shape of Mickey?)… Also, some of the greatest modern rides to come out of Imagineering happened when they reported directly to Eisner. At one time, it was reported that his level of involvement with all things Disney ran so deep that more than once, he made the final decision on things like light fixtures in resorts…

The problem with this is that the head of one of the world’s largest entertainment company cannot micromanage every aspect of it and he was criticized for this heavily. That is when he started bringing in all these other people and when things seem to have begun to slide. It truly seems to me that his biggest error has been in poorly picking those who would serve under him.

A lot of people try to compare him to Walt and that is hardly fair. Walt was the founder and is also dead – that makes him a sort of legend. People can always talk about what “Walt would have done” but what they are really talking about is what they would have wanted Walt to have done… The company has grown to many times the size it originally was under Eisner’s watch. As it continues to get larger it is only natural that things become more corporate. Large companies become more conservative and move slower. Those that don’t make a dangerous gamble with the lives of the hundreds of thousands of people that work for them and all of those who invest in them.

It is easy to say I would do this and I would do that and everything would be ok but I like most of us have absolutely no experience in running a company one tenth the size of Disney. It isn’t easy and simple and we take a lot for granted when we try to paint it as being such. I wouldn’t want Eisner’s job (and all the stress that comes along with it) for all the money in the world. Like him or hate him, the guy is married to the Disney Co., it IS his life. When do you think the last time he had a vacation where the world Disney didn’t come up?...

Sorry for the rant but I think a lot of people forget that running an entertainment empire isn’t quite the same as playing Roller Coaster Tycoon. There is a bit more to it and if it were so easy and simple, we would see a lot more success in that industry right now. I mean, take a look at Universal and AOL Time Warner. Compared to them, Disney is doing great.

BTW, interesting note, MGM is one of the current bidders for the Universal Entertainment Group which includes the theme parks…

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Disney stores/outlet stores

My Wife and I both worked for The Disney Store here in Austin, Tex. (different mall operations). There was a third that was shut down here in Austin earlier this year once its' lease expired. And I have to say, that they need a revamp of some kind. There isn't enough adult merchandise available, too much plush (especially Pooh plush), no park merchandise available by any means, and too many changes. (too many floor moves). Customers barely have time to shop the new set, when another floor move takes place. The stores clearly have been poorly operated for some time, or they wouldn't be shutting them down so vigorously. I love the company and hate to see it struggling in any fashion. But it's time for a change. I'd love to see Disney continue to own and operate the stores, but there have to be wholesale changes made for more success to be seen.

On the subject of outlet stores!! We have one located near San Antonio (Tanger Outlet). Not worth the trip!!! Nothing of any real interest sold at this outlet, with the exception of a couple of jewelry items, maybe a dvd or two. My understanding is that they receive overproduction items from Stores, as well as parks. But again, nothing that you would think.

Let's see some park merchandise, bring back the art work, bring in adult clothing, and bring the "'magic" back to the stores.

VILLAINSRULE

I cant imagine not being able to go to a Disney Store to get some Disney magic when I am not able to be at WDW! I just think they are makng a big mistake if they just close the stores. I wonder what the time table is for all this? If they dont have a buyer w/in a year are they just going to close the doors of the stores?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom