Disney store at MK, limit of 1 item discount per person.

21stamps

I wonder if by “id”, the op is actually talking about the physical AP Pass. I forgot mine last month, some cashiers let me use MDE and my drivers license, two did not.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
He indicated they were attending MVMCP, so everyone would have to have a ticket.
Actually, he didn't. He only said they were trying to buy a shirt sold at the event and I'm not going to assume that means they were party guests. Given the 6:00 pm closing and 7:00 pm party start, his family might have been shopping at the end of their day before the park switched into party mode.

That's why I asked for more specificity. The fact that we don't have it lends credence to your assessment of a bridge-dweller at the library again.

cmoliver68

And how would one know this???? Same thing happened to me last May. I was told in Epcot I needed my AP card to get the discount. me off because I missed my frozen fp time. got on the monorail went back to my resort and came back. I did not know you could walk to guest relations to get a new card.

And it prior to that it happened at downtown disney. I needed my dvc card for a discount, the sales cm DID not tell me I could get a temporary one and I asked. got in car and went back to OKW got my membership card then came back.

So no the cm's are not helpful in my opinion (not siding with the original poster) when trying to find a solution to a problem.

If you are an AP holder why would you not check with guest relations? Common sense would tell you that if you are denied the ability to get the discount because you didn't have the card then the place to get one would be guest relations. I was in the park Sunday and was stuck on the monorail and couldn't get to my fast pass for Space Mountain in time. Instead of getting mad at the monorail, I spent a couple of minutes in line at guest relations, told them the issue and within seconds had a FP I could use on the ride at any time during the remainder of the day.

As for any special perks for DVC, I am not a member so I can't speak to that but I would imagine it would be basically the same thing.

BTW, as for the "common sense" comment I made, yes that is something that is lacking in society today along with common courtesy. As I was always told growing up, if sense were common everyone would have it.

Google may be able to answer most of your questions but it can't teach you how to use your brain.

EricsBiscuit

I seem to recall when Disney was touting that the only thing you would need in the park was your MB...

Now you need everything you needed before PLUS your MB...
I think an ID is reasonable. I always no matter what carry it on me. There are some things I always take with me. Thinking the MBs would eliminate the need for things is silly. The MBs however have provided great convenience and make things easy for me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think an ID is reasonable. I always no matter what carry it on me. There are some things I always take with me. Thinking the MBs would eliminate the need for things is silly. The MBs however have provided great convenience and make things easy for me.

ID is indeed reasonable, In FL you can be jailed for not providing a govt issued ID at the request of law enforcement.

However there is NO logical reason why AP and DVC entitlements cant be tied to MB

Minthorne

ID is indeed reasonable, In FL you can be jailed for not providing a govt issued ID at the request of law enforcement.

However there is NO logical reason why AP and DVC entitlements cant be tied to MB

I believe the reason is that while the entry tapstiles have fingerprint readers to confirm identity the merchandise readers do not. As a result they rely on a photo ID to confirm identity at the point of sale.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it’s true, a ridiculous enforcement of a ridiculous rule.

Merchandise discounts for AP holders should be flat and on everything or don’t do discounts at all. This confusion to save a couple bucks is bad taste on Disney’s part and I usually side with Disney.

If only customers had the same "lets play nice" attitude... instead of the folks that think they need to be their own Disney retailers by buying up merch and reselling it as a business.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I believe the reason is that while the entry tapstiles have fingerprint readers to confirm identity the merchandise readers do not. As a result they rely on a photo ID to confirm identity at the point of sale.

Requiring separate photo id to confirm band is really yours makes sense, the part that doesnt is requiring the physical AP and DVC card. Those could be linked since those are Disney specific

eliza61nyc

If you would take the time to read your Annual Pass handbook, you would see that you need to actually prove you are an AP to get the discount. The entitlement of pass-holders are incredible.

thanks for the oh so lovely helpful hint. I forgot that when I DID read my handbook that I was suppose to memorize it and carry it around to cover every eventuality.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Yes I get incredible "entitled" with my money. I'm a princess.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Requiring separate photo id to confirm band is really yours makes sense, the part that doesnt is requiring the physical AP and DVC card. Those could be linked since those are Disney specific
Funny -- if DLR can link a photo to a three-day ticket, why can't WDW link a photo to an AP attached to MDE?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Funny -- if DLR can link a photo to a three-day ticket, why can't WDW link a photo to an AP attached to MDE?

Laziness, its not that WDW cannot do this, TDO chooses not to do this just another example of the contempt that TDO holds for the marks oops guests

thomas998

Not to mention that it's extremely insulting to anyone who might be mentally handicapped, or the parents of children with developmental disorders.
Oh good grief. First it was the "R" word, now using the term mentally handicapped is an insult.... Please. The word handicapped isn't derogatory it is very often a fact. Adding the word mentally or physically doesn't suddenly make it an insult either just a makes it more descriptive so someone knows what type of handicap the person is referring to.

If parents of kids with problems can't acknowledge the reality of their child's condition then their being insulted is the last thing they need to worry about as those are the typical parents that refuse to acknowledge that their kid has a problem and failing to acknowledge it is a sure bet that they aren't doing anything to help the kid overcome it.

Getting worked up over someone using the phrase "mentally handicapped" seem ludicrous.

thomas998

It was a Christmas shirt that said like "Merry Christmas" on the shirt. It was sold at the Christmas party event at the magic kingdom.
How do I find out if there is a limit of 1 per person or is it an unwritten rule?
Generally party merchandise doesn't have a limit on how many you can buy, which is why you'll sometimes see pin collectors buying huge numbers of pins. You know those collectors aren't going to keep them they are going to resell them on ebay, but Disney doesn't really care because they sold them and the last thing they really want is to have to push them over to one of the outlets stores after the party is over and get a fraction of the original price.

You dad should have escalated it to a manager.

nickys

Premium Member
Oh good grief. First it was the "R" word, now using the term mentally handicapped is an insult.... Please. The word handicapped isn't derogatory it is very often a fact. Adding the word mentally or physically doesn't suddenly make it an insult either just a makes it more descriptive so someone knows what type of handicap the person is referring to.

If parents of kids with problems can't acknowledge the reality of their child's condition then their being insulted is the last thing they need to worry about as those are the typical parents that refuse to acknowledge that their kid has a problem and failing to acknowledge it is a sure bet that they aren't doing anything to help the kid overcome it.

Getting worked up over someone using the phrase "mentally handicapped" seem ludicrous.

But this wasn't someone who was mentally handicapped, this was someone who the OP had a disagreement with and therefore applied the term to them. Just because someone is officious / obnoxious / self important / entitled etc doesn't make them mentally handicapped. And applying the term to someone without knowing whether they actually are or not is offensive. in this case it was clearly being used as an insult because someone wasn't allowed to do something they felt entitled to do.

thomas998

But this wasn't someone who was mentally handicapped, this was someone who the OP had a disagreement with and therefore applied the term to them. Just because someone is officious / obnoxious / self important / entitled etc doesn't make them mentally handicapped. And applying the term to someone without knowing whether they actually are or not is offensive. in this case it was clearly being used as an insult because someone wasn't allowed to do something they felt entitled to do.
Frankly I don't know if they were using the term in regard to someone that was or wasn't mentally handicapped. I do know from my own experience that Disney does appear to hire people that are mentally handicapped though I haven't seen them working as cashiers. But given that in lots of states you get an incentive for hiring the mentally handicapped, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney had hired people like that just to save a few bucks, remember this the company that loves to pull in cheap labor from India when they could find the same skilled labor in the US simply because the IT folks from India work cheaper.

asianway

Generally party merchandise doesn't have a limit on how many you can buy, which is why you'll sometimes see pin collectors buying huge numbers of pins. You know those collectors aren't going to keep them they are going to resell them on ebay, but Disney doesn't really care because they sold them and the last thing they really want is to have to push them over to one of the outlets stores after the party is over and get a fraction of the original price.

You dad should have escalated it to a manager.
The CM was making up their own rules - he should have been able to do this, and yes escalating to a manager was the right thing to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom