Disney store at MK, limit of 1 item discount per person.

Jonnydanger

Original Poster
My father was trying to buy a Christmas shirt for the family. Mom/Dad and 2 children using a discount from the annual pass. He was told that all 4 of us needed to have an ID to buy 4 shirts.

Is there a limit of 1 shirt(or general item) per personal/discount? I was reading in the terms and conditions and the only thing close I noticed was something about the merchandise not being intended for resale however did not specify on an exact number limitation.

Is this guy just being a jerk or is there something which limits a single item per discount per person so that a family of 4 could not purchase 4 shirts.

Also, I have been told wrong information in the past before. I once saw a employee block the road to soaring 15 minutes before the attraction closed and would not even let people with fast passes in. I literally had to run past them to get into the ride.

Thanks.

FoozieBear

Dont know about this item, but in certain cases which have limited quantities, Disney does make a limit per guest (i.e. Limited 35th anniversary Epcot merch). Since this was a Christmas item, its possible it had a similar rule for that specific item.

Jonnydanger

Original Poster
It was a Christmas shirt that said like "Merry Christmas" on the shirt. It was sold at the Christmas party event at the magic kingdom.
How do I find out if there is a limit of 1 per person or is it an unwritten rule?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It was a Christmas shirt that said like "Merry Christmas" on the shirt. It was sold at the Christmas party event at the magic kingdom.
How do I find out if there is a limit of 1 per person or is it an unwritten rule?

Was each individual in the party purchasing a shirt separately, or was your father buying 4 shirts in one transaction? If the shirt was one of the Christmas party only merchandise, like the magic band, then Disney does put a limit on the number of one item you can buy.

I've never had a problem using my AP for a discount for multiple sizes of a shirt. It's one purchase transaction. I would have challenged the CM at the register and asked to have a supervisor intervene.

Jonnydanger

Original Poster
It was my father purchasing the shirts for the rest of the family and it was 4 shirts with 4 different sizes. He did not feel like he was treated fairly and that the CM may have been mentally handicap or maybe just being a jerk for no reason. To refuse to sell my dad the 4 shirts for a family of 4 and require us to all leave the park and go back to the room to get our ID's is absolutely absurd and extremely time consuming especially when you have limited time at the park for the event. "So you are buying 4 shirts for a family of 4 people, you need to have 4 different ID for each item"

I feel like I should have complained about that individual to a supervisor but I was uncertain about what rules are in place. I know it just felt very wrong. Disney corporate has done some unreasonable rules in the past so I was not 100% sure if I was in the right. ( No toll free 1800 numbers, refusing to tell me when my tickets expired,etc..)

Unless someone can show me something in writing of a limit of 1 AP discount per person/item, I will make sure I challenge that if I run into that situation in the future.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The individual purchasing the items, using their AP discount, is the only one who has to provide ID to verify they are the AP.

If you have an AP, the expiration date is shown in your MDE account...and written on the back of your AP card.

You need to, though, refrain from referring to someone you feel was incorrectly applying rules as "mentally handicapped". Attitudes like that have a tendency to cause individuals to dig in their heels.

Pixieish

It was my father purchasing the shirts for the rest of the family and it was 4 shirts with 4 different sizes. He did not feel like he was treated fairly and that the CM may have been mentally handicap or maybe just being a jerk for no reason. To refuse to sell my dad the 4 shirts for a family of 4 and require us to all leave the park and go back to the room to get our ID's is absolutely absurd and extremely time consuming especially when you have limited time at the park for the event. "So you are buying 4 shirts for a family of 4 people, you need to have 4 different ID for each item"

I feel like I should have complained about that individual to a supervisor but I was uncertain about what rules are in place. I know it just felt very wrong. Disney corporate has done some unreasonable rules in the past so I was not 100% sure if I was in the right. ( No toll free 1800 numbers, refusing to tell me when my tickets expired,etc..)

Unless someone can show me something in writing of a limit of 1 AP discount per person/item, I will make sure I challenge that if I run into that situation in the future.

The individual purchasing the items, using their AP discount, is the only one who has to provide ID to verify they are the AP.

If you have an AP, the expiration date is shown in your MDE account...and written on the back of your AP card.

You need to, though, refrain from referring to someone you feel was incorrectly applying rules as "mentally handicapped". Attitudes like that have a tendency to cause individuals to dig in their heels.
Not to mention that it's extremely insulting to anyone who might be mentally handicapped, or the parents of children with developmental disorders.

Jonnydanger

Original Poster

I was only saying that my father did not want to push the issue at the time because he was trying to be nice to someone who was being very rude(and apparently wrong) in restriction the sale. I think the right think for the cashier to do would either be to give the customer the benefit of the doubt or if they feel their job was in danger for cutting someone a break, go and find out when they are not sure.

Its not cool to tell someone who drove for a day to get there and had only a few hours at the park to " go back and get ID for everyone" then they went to a lot of effort to be in the park. Especially when the hotels would tell people that all they need is the magic band since it will act as your key, credit card, tickets,etc...

Chef Mickey

If it’s true, a ridiculous enforcement of a ridiculous rule.

Merchandise discounts for AP holders should be flat and on everything or don’t do discounts at all. This confusion to save a couple bucks is bad taste on Disney’s part and I usually side with Disney.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I was only saying that my father did not want to push the issue at the time because he was trying to be nice to someone who was being very rude(and apparently wrong) in restriction the sale. I think the right think for the cashier to do would either be to give the customer the benefit of the doubt or if they feel their job was in danger for cutting someone a break, go and find out when they are not sure.

Its not cool to tell someone who drove for a day to get there and had only a few hours at the park to " go back and get ID for everyone" then they went to a lot of effort to be in the park. Especially when the hotels would tell people that all they need is the magic band since it will act as your key, credit card, tickets,etc...

Disney has never, ever said your magicband will act as ID. I've been an AP for years. I've always had to show ID - to prove that AP is me.

Edit: I'm starting to doubt your story as you present it. Why? Children don't have IDs. So if your father was purchasing children's metchandise, it would be highly unlikely he would be told to "go get their IDs". Is this Katiebug?

Last edited:

MissingDisney

Disney has never, ever said your magicband will act as ID. I've been an AP for years. I've always had to show ID - to prove that AP is me.

This.

And on the lines of wanting someone to give the benefit of the doubt and yet jumping straight to ridiculous conclusions regarding a person’s abilities??? :banghead:Seriously. Karlbug, Katiebug’s other half? :facepalm:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not enough information. Was he trying to buy (a) AP-holder shirts or (b) MVMCP-exclusive shirts?
If (a), does everyone in your family have APs?
If (b), did everyone in your family have MVMCP tickets?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Not enough information. Was he trying to buy (a) AP-holder shirts or (b) MVMCP-exclusive shirts?
If (a), does everyone in your family have APs?
If (b), did everyone in your family have MVMCP tickets?

He indicated they were attending MVMCP, so everyone would have to have a ticket.

I've purchased AP exclusive metchandise before. Was never asked for any ID but mine...and I was buying several shirts of different sizes.

If it was party-only merchandise, then, yes, they do limit the number of each item you can buy for some things. But they'd ask to see the wrist band of each guest, not the IDs - that would be only for the one claiming an AP discount. And they wouldn't ask for the IDs of children. That statement is why I think this is bogus and the OP is a troll. Plus, over on the thread about Disney purchasing some of Fox, he ranted how Eisner was ruining the company...Eisner hasn't been CEO in 12 yrars.

Last edited:

cmoliver68

Edit: I'm starting to doubt your story as you present it. Why? Children don't have IDs. So if your father was purchasing children's metchandise, it would be highly unlikely he would be told to "go get their IDs". Is this Katiebug?

Even more of a reason to doubt the story is the statement indicating they would need to leave the park to go back to the room to get AP cards. Even if the CM told them they needed the AP card, it is as simple as walking to guest relations to get a new card.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Even more of a reason to doubt the story is the statement indicating they would need to leave the park to go back to the room to get AP cards. Even if the CM told them they needed the AP card, it is as simple as walking to guest relations to get a new card.

I believe the OP said they needed their IDs - I took that to mean photo ID. But if you are correct that they needed their AP card, you can open the app and show them the pass listed in your account - it shows pass level and expiration date. You still need a photo ID.

eliza61nyc

And how would one know this???? Same thing happened to me last May. I was told in Epcot I needed my AP card to get the discount. me off because I missed my frozen fp time. got on the monorail went back to my resort and came back. I did not know you could walk to guest relations to get a new card.

And it prior to that it happened at downtown disney. I needed my dvc card for a discount, the sales cm DID not tell me I could get a temporary one and I asked. got in car and went back to OKW got my membership card then came back.

So no the cm's are not helpful in my opinion (not siding with the original poster) when trying to find a solution to a problem.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom