Disney Stock

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
I got my first stock book on last year (2001) it talk about this years releases Treasure planet looks cool. Most of the stuff I don't understand but do you guy go to the annual meeting of shareholders?

James123

Account Suspended
It is important to vote!

Currently, there are 2,047,051,527 shares of Disney stock. According to SEC filings by Disney, no one person owns more than a 5% share of the company. You get one vote per share so it's important that all shareholders vote. You can vote on the Internet at www.proxyvote.com or by phone at 1-800-690-6903 or by mail. You don't have to attend the annual meeting. I've been to a couple in the past and they were pretty dry affairs, however, I did get to meet the Bass brothers at one event. I'll be glad to advise you how to vote on the board of directors and the six proposals if you're interested.:animwink:

WDW-Imagineer

If your a shareholder, you can vote. In fact my father is a shareholder and I always vote; I'm only 17. Its on the internet too, so who is gonna know?

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by wdwmaniac
Could guys give some ointers in voting and stuff this is my first time.

Well, you got 7 things to vote on.

1) Election of Directors; this is where you vote for the election of the Board of Directors. Usually I just vote for all of them, although if you don't like a particular member, you can vote for all except that particular member. You can also vote none of them.

2) Ratify the appointment of PricewatershouseCoopers as the comapny's accountants for 2002. I would vote for this proposal; they have been the accountants for awhile.

3) Approve the 2002 Executive Performance Plan. This is located on page 22 of the Proxy Statement booklet.

4-7) These are shareholder proposals. The board ALWAYS tells you to vote against them. Turn to page 25 and read about them.

Good luck in voting, make sure you have the proxy with you when you go to the site because you will need the "Control Number". HTH. :)

James123

Account Suspended
It's your money too!

There is no minimum or maximum age for voting. If you are the shareholder of record, then you can vote. If you agree with the board of directors on the election of all directors and on all the proposals, then you need to do nothing. Your vote(s) will then automatically support the board recommendations. If you wish to vote against the board (or abstain) then you must vote. WDW-Imagineer gave a very good synopsis of the voting procedure. As a long time Disney shareholder, I do not agree with all of the current board proposals. I have voted against proposals 2, 4 and 7. These proposals all concern accounting and stock options. Re proposals 2 and 4, Disney has gotten too "friendly" with PricewaterhouseCooper over the years and used the firm for services other than auditing the books. Your auditor is either independent or is not. Enron paid a heavy price for this kind of foolishness. IMO Disney needs to get a "real" audit for a change rather than the routine "favorable" audits.

Proposal 7 deals with stock options given to Michael D. Eisner and other high level executives of Disney. Let me state that I have fully supported Mr. Eisner and I think he has done a brilliant job in leading the company since 1984. I want him to continue to guide the company. My concern is simple. Let's pay Mr. Eisner and other high level executives what they are worth in hard cash and not stock options. Broad based stock ownership is better for the company. Let's limit stock options that are granted to wealthy Disney executives and instead diversify stock ownership among cast members and the many millions of Disney fans!

I think we all want the same thing. We want Disney to prosper and continue to be the state of the art in all things regarding entertainment.:sohappy:

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
Walt Disney beats by nickel
January 31, 2002: 4:53 p.m. ET

House of Mickey reports 1Q of $297 million, beating expectations.

No 2001 bonus for Disney's Eisner -- Jan. 4, 2002

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Walt Disney Co. posted first-quarter results Thursday that topped Wall Street expectations despite a drop in revenue.

Excluding one-time gains, Burbank, Calif.-based Disney (DIS: down $0.34 to $21.06, Research, Estimates) reported first-quarter income of $297 million, or 15 cents a share, compared to $657 million, or 31 cents, in the year-ago quarter. Including the gains, Disney reported net income of $438 million in the first quarter, or 21 cents a share.

Revenue for Disney fell 5 percent to $7 billion for the quarter. Earnings tracker First Call had pegged the quarterly profit at 10 cents per share.

"This quarter's results are an indication of how we are managing through challenging times while building for the future," Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner said. "Our efforts during this period are being guided by two overarching goals -- to achieve the greatest possible efficiencies in o operations and to continue to create great content that will further strengthen our unmatched entertainment brands."

Disney, owner of ABC Television Network, continues to feel the effect of the recent advertising slump. Revenue for company's media networks fell 3 percent to $3 billion while segment operating income declined 58 percent to $246 million.

The company's theme parks, which were shut temporarily after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, continued to show a drop in attendance. Revenue for parks and resorts fell 17 percent to $1.4 billion while segment operating income dropped 51 percent to $187 million, the company said.

Disney studios showed similar declines as revenue dropped 2 percent to $1.8 billion. Disney scored with the release of Monsters, Inc., but the film's success was "more than offset by the impact of marketing costs spent on films not yet released and on films released late in the quarter," the company said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom