Disney statement on Walt Disney World entertainment

crispy

And for decades, it wasn't a fair comparison because Disney entertainment was so far above the competition both in quality and quantity. They were, literally, the industry leader.

Today? Even pre-covid, Disney had been outclassed in many aspects not only by Universal, but but Herschend and Cedar Fair. What's next, it's not fair to compare WDW entertainment to Six Flags?
Without the entertainment, the only difference between WDW and other parks is the price. We are planning a trip Universal in November and bought one of the 15 month season passes. Universal may have less offerings, but I don't really mind because the trip is fairly inexpensive. Same with Dollywood. We are passholders and have not noticed any big differences in the entertainment that is being offered.

JoeCamel

Mentality of the corporate arm wont chance until we stop visiting. Pre covid the place is busting at the seams and they kept "imho" cutting quality piece by piece. Disney has perfected the art of the frog in boiling water.
They certainly have. I think it has been about 10 years since I held a WDW AP and I felt that way at that time. Couple of bright spots over the years led me to 3 - 4 day FL tix but I really haven't seen the quality added that says "disney" to me. I'm not their demo any longer.

MaryJaneP

Hope all future trips to WDW by everyone, especially those who posted so, are very enjoyable.

A saying attributed to Yogi Berra comes to mind in that "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

And along the national pastime line, is it magical that you go to WDW and a modern-day baseball game broke out? If that entertains you, all power to you. Not so much this group that likes the wide variety of entertainment that has been so severely eliminated and which all (or most) will never come back nor be replaced by anything of like quality.

Dan Deesnee

No publicly traded company would willingly operate at break even. Their stock would suffer and hurt investors (yes, that includes mom and pops and everyday investors too).

Also companiess that make no money don't add back expensive actors and entertainment. You want all that stuff back that you love? You better hope they keep the ticket prices right where they are.

Executive bonuses don't move the bottom line that much either.

This board confused me sometimes. You want them to not let workers go, but also lower prices? You want them to bring all the fireworks and stuff back but also make even less money than they are now?

Basic economics don't work that way. Again, you want "your Disney" back? Then let's hope they keep prices where they are.

Last edited:

LastoneOn

... so the question becomes, how to make it become important to the company?

Quit spending money on anything Disney. Period. Parks, merchandise, movies, Disney +, everything. Quit engaging in anything Disney related - this includes internet forums, it really does. Have to drive the data so that it shows a decrease in interest. Same with NOT clicking on any news articles, just as with any other topic, every click shows interest. Don't like celebrity Z, every time you click on an article about Z it registers as 'interested in Z' and you'll keep seeing articles about Z.

So until you happen to see the headlines you've been wishing for, you don't read the article. Common wished for moves by Disney: "Disney to restore all entertainment" "will spend gazillions on new attractions", "open 5th gate", "shift more money to US parks" Wishes Fireworks Show to Return" "Marvel to be Removed!" "No more IP!"

"New CEO hired who is totally theme park focused who idolizes Walt and will reinstall Walt's vision" You know, that sort of thing.

Its the only way. But you have to get tens of millions, not just the 18 million who were going every year, but the tens of millions PLANNING on going to go along with you.

Not going to happen. Maybe that's too strong, lets say "very unlikely to happen." The tens of millions who weren't there 10, 20, 30, etc years ago don't know what they don't know, don't know what was (from personal experience) and are going there to visit what IS. Every year millions of new first time visitors go to visit What Is.

So, acceptance. Accept that the Disney you might have loved is gone and likely not returning. Accept that your personal Disney era is over. Then decide to go or not.

I'm not at the end of my personal Disney era yet. I still find value in spending some days in a place with happy music, generally happy often huge crowds of people, people gathered in one place seeking more or less the same things. There is a bond, an energy, a vitality that exists in that, that resonates through the spirit, the core. Its similar to any large event, and sports arena atmosphere. We've been to Disney on a couple of its busiest days of the year. Packed in tighter than a fraternity party on Greek Week, and it was marvelous and I recommend it, at least once. :)

Again, the only way to make the things you and so many of us seek to be important again to the company is have tens of millions of people around the world to just cease all Disney related interaction. Since the odds are against that, have to decide how much more you want to pound your head against the wall, how much digital ink to spill complaining and wishing, how much of your spirit to invest. Maybe that's the fun part of a great number of people in forums: the constant arguing, thought experiments, what ifs, whatever. But in the end for Disney: $$ talks, b.s. walks. Just a fact of life.

I'll be there in January. Going to be very interesting to say the least, and I suspect under my criteria, fun.

All the best!

Last edited:

LastoneOn

Hope all future trips to WDW by everyone, especially those who posted so, are very enjoyable.

A saying attributed to Yogi Berra comes to mind in that "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

And along the national pastime line, is it magical that you go to WDW and a modern-day baseball game broke out? If that entertains you, all power to you. Not so much this group that likes the wide variety of entertainment that has been so severely eliminated and which all (or most) will never come back nor be replaced by anything of like quality.
You seem to assume those of us still going or planning to go find these things, this loss of stuff OK. I don't. But I accept that its happened. There's a difference. Yes the rides are important, they are a major part of the whole thing from the very beginning. Walt didn't didn't spend millions back then on rides to promote a parade, marching band, free horse drawn trolly rides. It was just the opposite. All that entertainment was scattered around to provide an atmosphere to SELL TICKETS to ride the rides because the rides were not free. All that entertainment around Epcot pavilions is to draw in people, to make them happy so their mental state will change and prompt them to buy food and merchandise.

Disney knows the atmosphere will suffer. But Disney still remains more about the rides, than the bits of street entertainment which can easily be brought back. Imagine if Disney did the opposite: closed the rides to keep the street entertainment, the Beauty stage show, the band, whatever. Virtually nobody would go, because at the core of the decision making process for a Disney vacation is: What are we going to DO? Not, What are we going to see? That's one reason AK is not so popular with many, for it is a park about seeing, feeling, not so much the doing (rides). And as important as rides are to me, the general atmosphere of WDW, AK is my favorite park - but I don't need the somewhat forced street entertainment "festival" atmosphere to enjoy AK. Asia is perfectly fine on a nice quiet morning, Africa too.

Stay well.

Parker in NYC

Quit spending money on anything Disney. Period. Parks, merchandise, movies, Disney +, everything. Quit engaging in anything Disney related - this includes internet forums, it really does. Have to drive the data so that it shows a decrease in interest. Same with NOT clicking on any news articles, just as with any other topic, every click shows interest. Don't like celebrity Z, every time you click on an article about Z it registers as 'interested in Z' and you'll keep seeing articles about Z.

So until you happen to see the headlines you've been wishing for, you don't read the article. Common wished for moves by Disney: "Disney to restore all entertainment" "will spend gazillions on new attractions", "open 5th gate", "shift more money to US parks" Wishes Fireworks Show to Return" "Marvel to be Removed!" "No more IP!"

"New CEO hired who is totally theme park focused who idolizes Walt and will reinstall Walt's vision" You know, that sort of thing.

Its the only way. But you have to get tens of millions, not just the 18 million who were going every year, but the tens of millions PLANNING on going to go along with you.

Not going to happen. Maybe that's too strong, lets say "very unlikely to happen." The tens of millions who weren't there 10, 20, 30, etc years ago don't know what they don't know, don't know what was (from personal experience) and are going there to visit what IS. Every year millions of new first time visitors go to visit What Is.

So, acceptance. Accept that the Disney you might have loved is gone and likely not returning. Accept that your personal Disney era is over. Then decide to go or not.

I'm not at the end of my personal Disney era yet. I still find value in spending some days in a place with happy music, generally happy often huge crowds of people, people gathered in one place seeking more or less the same things. There is a bond, an energy, a vitality that exists in that, that resonates through the spirit, the core. Its similar to any large event, and sports arena atmosphere. We've been to Disney on a couple of its busiest days of the year. Packed in tighter than a fraternity party on Greek Week, and it was marvelous and I recommend it, at least once. :)

Again, the only way to make the things you and so many of us seek to be important again to the company is have tens of millions of people around the world to just cease all Disney related interaction. Since the odds are against that, have to decide how much more you want to pound your head against the wall, how much digital ink to spill complaining and wishing, how much of your spirit to invest. Maybe that's the fun part of a great number of people in forums: the constant arguing, thought experiments, what ifs, whatever. But in the for Disney: $$ talks, b.s. walks. Just a fact of life.

I'll be there in January. Going to be very interesting to say the least, and I suspect under my criteria, fun.

All the best!
God Bless ‘Murica and the pixie dust for which it stands. This was a hilarious speech, but you won’t get my vote.

peoplemover

I’m really glad you had a good time. Not being sarcastic at all, glad it was worth it for you . But what was a good time? Really want to know. The only reports I’ve read from a good experience always start off with..” I rode this 3 times.. then rode that 3 times”.. that’s wonderful if that’s what you like. (Not you, saying it generally)
For a lot of us it’s everything else that makes it worth it. Everything that’s been cut makes the Disney trip magical. I can go to six flags for rides I guess is what I’m saying.
This is not a shot at what they have done and the safety precautions they have taken to open back up. That’s all great and they need to do it. But damn, for me it just doesn’t sound that magical.
I enjoyed the lack of crowds, being able to ride what I wanted to in one day, and not feeling rushed or having to fully plan out my day. The character sightings were also nice but not a high priority for me even when things were normal. Different strokes for different folks. I totally understand how it’s not worth it for a lot of people but for me it worked. I’ll be glad when the fireworks return though.

TrainsOfDisney

I enjoyed the lack of crowds, being able to ride what I wanted to in one day, and not feeling rushed or having to fully plan out my day. The character sightings were also nice but not a high priority for me even when things were normal. Different strokes for different folks. I totally understand how it’s not worth it for a lot of people but for me it worked. I’ll be glad when the fireworks return though.
I would have enjoyed the lack of crowds that were seen when they reopened. Other than the typical summer heat mixed with fewer AC options - that was probably an excellent time to visit the parks.

NelleBelle

So for those who could give a hoot about any of the shows/entertainment returning (ever) because it’s all about the rides and that’s all Disney should focus on...what do you think those lines are going to look like when there aren’t show/M&Gs/parades,ets to draw some of those people away from the lines??

JoeCamel

So for those who could give a hoot about any of the shows/entertainment returning (ever) because it’s all about the rides and that’s all Disney should focus on...what do you think those lines are going to look like when there aren’t show/M&Gs/parades,ets to draw some of those people away from the lines??
Someone needs to count the staff in the emporium. If they are fully staffed you have a window into the minds above, cut everything but lines, stores and some dining you have increased per guest spending? Nice goal in these times.

crispy

No publicly traded company would willingly operate at break even. Their stock would suffer and hurt investors (yes, that includes mom and pops and everyday investors too).

Also companiess that make no money don't add back expensive actors and entertainment. You want all that stuff back that you love? You better hope they keep the ticket prices right where they are.

Executive bonuses don't move the bottom line that much either.

This board confused me sometimes. You want them to not let workers go, but also lower prices? You want them to bring all the fireworks and stuff back but also make even less money than they are now?

Basic economics don't work that way. Again, you want "your Disney" back? Then let's hope they keep prices where they are.
If you take the pandemic out of the equation, they have been cutting entertainment and raising prices for years. I think everyone understands that layoffs were inevitable this year although I don't think cutting their entertainment staff was smart. It just gives people even less incentive to visit WDW. They also haven't done any thing to mitigate their losses in the parks.

Disney needs volume to work. Find ways to get people in the parks. Lower prices. Offer special entertainment. Make hopping available again. Offer special ticket offerings to locals and neighboring states. Something.

Right now, they have literally cut everything except rides and expect people to pay thousands to do it. I can go to Dollywood, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and many other regional parks for a third of the cost if I only want rides. That's the whole point. The are killing the "Disney Difference" that distinguished them from other parks.

It was mentioned that people will still go. Yes, they will. But will they go back? Will they post on social media about the magical experience or will they complain they wasted their time and money waiting in line? Will they mention Joy frolicking in the grass or will be they angry that their daughter didn't get to meet Belle and Cinderella? The idea that all publicity is good publicity no longer holds.

Last edited:

Touchdown

Right now, they have literally cut everything except rides and expect people to pay thousands to do it. I can go to Dollywood, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and many other regional parks for a third of the cost if I only want rides. That's the whole point. The are killing the "Disney Difference" that distinguished them from other parks.

The parks you just named, arguably had as good if not better live entertainment and seasonal festivals prior to the pandemic then Disney, and certainly have now. If you only want rides, you can go to Six Flags and experience state of the art thrill rides, or go to Disney and experience a variety of dark rides.

Disney Analyst

Again, look at Disney’s peers. Universal, Busch Gardens, Dollywood, and Silver Dollar City are still doing live entertainment and seasonal festivals that don’t consist of only food booths. This is a choice Disney is making.

This is where I get confused, and maybe I’m missing something. All I really know is what Universal offers right now. But isn’t that pretty much what Disney is offering?

Epcot still has music performers. As does MK, as does Animal Kingdom I believe. I think the biggest loser here was DHS, as I don’t think DHS has anything now.

Does Universal have that much more entertainment, or does it seem like more as it is condensed only between two parks?

Has anyone done a show/performance tracker? I’m genuinely curious what offerings exist now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom