Disney Springs construction begins

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But if it is converted to a park/terrace then allow guests up there. Otherwise it is an abandoned rail track that is now an abandoned park. and that is just silly.

Whether they let people up there or not doesn't change the fact that they are trying to replicate the High Line which would have shinny new railings. I am disappointed that there will be no access to the top, but what was built is still thematically correct.

RayTheFirefly

But if it is converted to a park/terrace then allow guests up there. Otherwise it is an abandoned rail track that is now an abandoned park. and that is just silly.
Just because it's not usable does not mean its themeing means it's abandoned or silly. Is it silly that the cannons in the PotC queue are not functional? Or that Cinderella Castle is not an actual functional castle that all guests can go up in?

Kman101

LOL at the complaint over the railings. Really? I know it's disappointing that you can't go up there but it's called theming.

I agree that it's a bit more concrete than I was expecting, but the highline looks fantastic. I love the hanging greenery and planters. We have benches! And shade! I'd call that a big plus.

And thank you for all of the photo updates!

SirLink

Even if there is no access, the railings still make thematic sense. It is not supposed to be an abandoned rail road; it is supposed to be an elevated rail that was previously abandoned, and then converted into a park, just like the High Line in NYC (which is really really nice, if you haven't seen been there). So even if the railings don't have a practical use, they still have a thematic use.

My big problem is they are shiny silver if they were painted the same colour as the the actual "tracks" I would have less of an issue. As a reference the High Line where the railings are painted, now I get that is what they are trying to replicate, and will only work if they are going to install an elevator at a later date otherwise it looks odd.
picture1.jpg

Last edited:

RayTheFirefly

My big problem is they are shiny silver if they were painted the same colour as the the actual "fake" tracks I would have less of an issue. As a reference the High Line where the railings are painted, now I get that is what they are trying to replicate, and will only work if they are going to install an elevator at a later date otherwise it looks odd.
picture1.jpg
I think it's less of an attempt at a direct replication and more of a theme inspired by it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even if they are inspired by it, the details that Disney used to be known for are sorely lacking.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this just seems like nitpicking or sour grapes to me at this point. I guess if you look hard enough you can find a problem with anything.

I would tend to agree that in the recent past Disney had started to slip a little with their attention to detail. IMHO the areas of Disney Springs that have been revealed so far are actually quite detailed and well done. Plenty of little touches that aren't necessary for function, but add to the environment.

RayTheFirefly

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but this just seems like nitpicking or sour grapes to me at this point. I guess if you look hard enough you can find a problem with anything.

I would tend to agree that in the recent past Disney had started to slip a little with their attention to detail. IMHO the areas of Disney Springs that have been revealed so far are actually quite detailed and well done. Plenty of little touches that aren't necessary for function, but add to the environment.
Completely agree.

SirLink

Of course I'm going to nitpick something isn't done just so. If a server in a restaurant gives you a dirty glass for water you complain to your server and have it fixed - this is no different.

RayTheFirefly

Of course I'm going to nitpick something isn't done just so. If a server in a restaurant gives you a dirty glass for water you complain to your server and have it fixed - this is no different.
You're welcome to not like the concept they chose, but to say the details in this particular project are not "Disney" standards, I honestly believe, is just false. The DS detailing so far has been very, very good (especially for somewhere described as a "fancy shopping mall").

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it's more like returning a perfectly good glass of water because you don't like the color or design of the glass itself.

Like I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion on the design, but because you aren't a fan of the "look" of the railings doesn't mean it's a flaw or the result of a lack of attention to detail. Just a design element that you don't like.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Different than I pictured in my head from the concept drawings. Very nice, upscale. It reminds me very much of an upscale outdoor mall we have in Northern IL on the Northshore. Doesn't scream Disney by any means however it is a classy outdoor mall.

Figment2005

The high line is so pointless and stupid now that they opted to not build access up to the top, and what the heck is up with those plain aluminum railings up there, they so need to just be removed since its closed to guests, as a rail road truss thats suppose to be abandoned isnt going to have bright and shiny aluminum railings.

in the second pic, the trucks look pretty crammed in there.

have the trucks been plugged in when theyve been scattered around previously? or were they on generators?
I just finished eating there and the whole ambiance is quite nice. The highline, although just a prop, really does mare the place feel more complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom