Disney Spa Tween Ice Cream mani/pedi

DisneyMomD

We are planning a trip to Vero beach, and my DD (8) is interested in getting a manicure/pedicure. As we were looking at the spa "menu" it said Ice Cream manicure/pedicure. She asked what it was, and I have no idea. Anyone know?

IWantMyMagicBand

The spa at our resort will not treat girls under 14 (and rightly so) so I'd check age restrictions. I have an 8 year old, who badgers me, but until she's 14 it's a no go. Kids should be kids. Don't get me started on BBB lol (but I am from UK)

Upvote 0

DisneyMomD

Original Poster
You are not wrong. Normally, I wouldn't do it (we typically won't let her paint her nails and no make-up , but we are on vacation and she is planning to save up her own money.

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

You are not wrong. Normally, I wouldn't do it (we typically won't let her paint her nails and no make-up , but we are on vacation and she is planning to save up her own money.
Oh I get you. Mine is adamant she is coming with me to get her nails done for *my* pre-trip manicure. It ain't happening. And that is because she is 8. Yes I have turned into my mother ( I am so glad my mother is not on these boards). I would say, if you were not up for you daughter having a mani/pedi, "honey, I called and they are full on that day, only grown ups allowed" and buy some inappropriate heeled Elsa shoes. Which is what I just did for mine lol. Why does having an 8 year old girl have to be so hard. I hate it, I really do. I especially hate One Direction. And Frozen.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Oh I get you. Mine is adamant she is coming with me to get her nails done for *my* pre-trip manicure. It ain't happening. And that is because she is 8. Yes I have turned into my mother ( I am so glad my mother is not on these boards). I would say, if you were not up for you daughter having a mani/pedi, "honey, I called and they are full on that day, only grown ups allowed" and buy some inappropriate heeled Elsa shoes. Which is what I just did for mine lol. Why does having an 8 year old girl have to be so hard. I hate it, I really do. I especially hate One Direction. And Frozen.
We have a 16 yo girl and she isn't into makeup and the such yet. Likes to paint her nails Tardis blue, but thats about it.......and she thinks dating is for girls who have self image problems. Im a proud dad.

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

We have a 16 yo girl and she isn't into makeup and the such yet. Likes to paint her nails Tardis blue, but thats about it.......and she thinks dating is for girls who have self image problems. Im a proud dad.
I'm hoping mine follows that way! She wants to do the mani because she wants to be like me, thought she will only have "Elsa Blue". But the days when she chooses her own clothes (like today) I know I have nothing to worry about when it comes to growing up too fast!

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I'm hoping mine follows that way! She wants to do the mani because she wants to be like me, thought she will only have "Elsa Blue". But the days when she chooses her own clothes (like today) I know I have nothing to worry about when it comes to growing up too fast!
Yep. Our daughter chooses blue jeans and a tshirt from the following categories:
  • Broadway musicals
  • One of a number of BBC shows
  • The Hobbit/LOTR
  • Faith Based
We required her to wear a dress to her middle school awards program and it about caused a civil war within the 'matata household.

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

Yep. Our daughter chooses blue jeans and a tshirt from the following categories:
  • Broadway musicals
  • One of a number of BBC shows
  • The Hobbit/LOTR
  • Faith Based
We required her to wear a dress to her middle school awards program and it about caused a civil war within the 'matata household.
Ha! We have the same child! Our categories are leggings with: Disney Princesses, Minions, or kittens/dogs in glasses. With socks that show and inappropriate footwear or sandals.

Upvote 0

DisneyMomD

Original Poster
I wouldn't think they are considered a tween, but on the spa website it has Tween services (ages 4-12). I thought it was a little weird.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I would call and ask. I have never in my life heard of an Ice Cream Manicure/ Pedicure. The girls seem to grow up faster each year. But if you are OK with it and she is willing to spend the money the choice is yours. If you find out what this is please share...I am curious!

My girls wear dresses to church and jeans or shorts and t shirts or tops everywhere else. The rule in our house was always the clothing must be church or grandparent appropriate....if you wouldn't want everyone in church OR your GRANDPARENTS to see you in it...then its a NO GO! lol never had a problem.

My girls are 14 & 18 now. The pretty much paint each others nails and that's about it. The oldest did do some mani / pedi days with friends her Senior year for different things. But never done at 8. I teach 2nd grade and every year I am amazed and saddened at what the new group comes in knowing and already experiencing. :(

Sadly, it wasn't uncommon for girls to skip school to have spa day with mom and I even had one little one come in with acrylic nails on. ughhhhh

Upvote 0

Dwarful

OK curiosity got the best of me. It is basically a mani/pedi and the child gets a Mickey ice cream bar. Yep, that's it. They did say that you take the bottle of polish with you as well. So you get the nail polish and an ice cream bar. Otherwise it is a typical mani / pedi.

Upvote 0

DisneyMomD

Original Poster
We try really hard to help her be 8 and not grow up too fast, and overall it's working well. But, she has always been interested in pretty things and make-up, it's only because of our rules that she doesn't have her ears pierced or have her nails painted all the time. If I had to choose things that she wanted and did, this might be the easiest! Thanks for calling, I figured that's what it was.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Oh I'm with you 100%. I'd go with the nails painted, its not that big of a deal. Ear piercing at our house couldn't occur until your 13th birthday. It was a rule in my family and I passed that on to my girls....sort of something to look forward to when they became teens.

No matter what you decide your little girl will have a wonderful time and this could be the one time exception to the rule....her treat. Everyone deserves a treat now and then! Have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

crispy

We try really hard to help her be 8 and not grow up too fast, and overall it's working well. But, she has always been interested in pretty things and make-up, it's only because of our rules that she doesn't have her ears pierced or have her nails painted all the time. If I had to choose things that she wanted and did, this might be the easiest! Thanks for calling, I figured that's what it was.

I take my girls (ages 6 and 8) to get their toes done once a year before vacation. The salon has cute pink chairs for them and serves them juice boxes. They don't charge much for the service, and it's a fun way to for us to do some girl bonding. I think there are many things out there that force kids to grow up too fast, but having pretty toes isn't one of them. I think it's more like playing dress-up than anything.

Upvote 0

cw1982

I take my girls (ages 6 and 8) to get their toes done once a year before vacation. The salon has cute pink chairs for them and serves them juice boxes. They don't charge much for the service, and it's a fun way to for us to do some girl bonding. I think there are many things out there that force kids to grow up too fast, but having pretty toes isn't one of them. I think it's more like playing dress-up than anything.

I agree. On a similar note, I've had my ears pierced since I was too little to remember having them done, and I don't feel as if that practice rushed me into growing up any faster. I see no harm in letting a little girl get her toe nails painted, but I do agree acrylics are a bit silly for young girls, especially since they can hurt miserably when one pops off unexpectedly and takes your real nail with it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom