Disney Slacking on Hospitality

SamtheDisneyGuy

Original Poster
I have been a long time Disney go'er! My family and I have been almost every year now since I was a kid. We took our annual Disney Vacation this past Christmas and as the week progressed I realized that Disney Workers had gotten more rude. We were taking a picture in front of the Sorcerors hat at HS and my 5 year old niece wasn't paying any attention. The lady taking the picture got out from behind her camera and said "Um your going to have to get your kid to quit moving or I can't take the picture!" We all kind of paused because of her tone and the way she said it. We went on and took the picture and went on about our business. Also on Main street at the MK we were in line behind a couple with a child that had to be two years old or less and he was crying and the lady told them to leave line until their kid quit crying because all they were doing was holding up the line. This was true but she could have said it in a much nicer tone. One other thing that stood out was one night at Ohana our reservation got messed up and instead of one table for 12 we had two tables of six. My aunt went to the desk and tried to fix this because we had stricly made reservations for our whole family to sit together. They said that this is the only way they could do it right now and that if we didn't want to sit seperate they would move our reservation to another night. We obviously told them that we were already here and we were going to eat.

These are just a few things that stood out to me over the week, and it could have been that it was the Christmas season and there were so many workers that they had to bring in because of the crowds. I understand people have bad days, but it just so happens that on my trip to Disney there was a bunch of workers that had bad days. I experienced many more grumpy people that just didn't seem happy. I was just curious if anyone else that has been to Disney within the last 6 months has noticed anything like this as well.

Lucky

I haven't noticed any trend, and we've gone every year for the last 8 years. It might have just been the busy season as you say - the peak crowds can make guests and CMs more irritable.

Chevross

I've noticed this downhill trend in kindness and quality as well, except on a much more global scale and just not limited to Disney. :lol:

worldfanatic

Bad service can and will occasionally happen.
But since the dawn of time, people have been complaining and proclaiming "How things were so much better back in the day".

I guarantee ten years from now, people will be talking about how service has gone downhill and asking "Why can't it be like it was back in 2011?

It's human nature to think things used to be better.

Like my Uncle who swears television was better back in the 70's.

Uh-huh, sure it was Unc, all 6 channels.:animwink:

I've been going to WDW for 20 years.
In my book, all's well with the cast members.

mickeymatt

Have you written to Disney to let them know? I think that they need to hear this. Also anytime you have a bad (or less than magical) experience try to remember the cast members name and include it in your correspondence. I hope this isn't a trend and perhaps just a fluke. I also hope your next trip is better.

stratman50th

I can't say that I've noticed the cast members were any different, in fact i've never had a bad experience, but I can say I was disappointed in the Polynesian last year. I hate to be besmirching the character of a nice resort, especially when it seems to be a big favorite here. I'm actually a big fan of the Poly as well. But I noticed some things that really kind of put me off. We stayed for our normal seven day vacation. We always request a particular building. In addition, my dad was coming for the last 3 days of our trip and we asked for adjoining rooms. We notified Disney or our request when we made the reservation, no problem. We called again 10 days before our arrival, to the hotel desk as that's when the reservations come out of the main system and move to the hotel. No problem. I called the hotel desk again 2 days before arrival, no problem. We also asked if we could purchase our tickets at the same time as we checked in. We were told yes.
When we got there, they were going to put us in another building. We said no. Then they said that the would not be able to give my dad an adjoining room. Now to be fair, this I thought might be a problem and we said do the best you can. I'll jump ahead so I can get the room stuff out of the way first. My dad arrived and his room wasn't ready until 5:30. Luckily he could stash his luggage in our room so the entire day wasn't a bust, but what really stunk was he was charged the full days rate, which in the Poly is high enough and they wouldn't do a thing for us. His room was down the hall about 8 doors away.
We also could not buy our tickets with our room like we asked. We had to finish up and stand in another line in order to get that taken care of. Just another hassle that was not expected after I thought I had gotten an answer earlier.
The room itself was kind of tired and worn. The shower curtain rod was coming off the wall, and the furniture had seen better days. It wasn't dirty or anything, just ready for a refurbish. Just not what you'd expect for what you were paying for a place to sleep.
The day we checked in the volcano pool was closed because some kid had pooped in it. They were busing people back and forth from the GF. The "quiet pool" was also not so quiet. In fact it was packed with kids and families. (Not their fault, just surprised at how many bodies you can jam in one pool). There was a group of people, not from Brazil, that had a bunch of kids just terrorizing everyone in the pool and poolside. The parents drug the lounge chairs right up to the pool edge, blocking any safety lanes in case of problems. (No guards at the quiet pool). No CM's to have them move back. The pools were not kept clean throughout our weeks stay. If you aren't going to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT, good luck as the buses were kind of sketchy. Again not something you would expect from the high priced resort.
This next point is just a guest relations issue. I know O'Hana is a popular restaurant, but they really could hold back some dinner slots for the guests of their own hotel. I know enough to make reservations now, I'm just saying.
Will I go stay at the Polynesian again? Most likely. Did all these issues ruin my vacation? No but it did take it down a notch or two as far as what my expectations were opposed to what we got.

wayneway

Overall it has declined, I think it has to do with the ratio of CM's who really care and the others that see it as just another job. I feel as if there were more that really cared in years past. However, Disney is still better than other theme parks IMO. My first trip to WDW was in 1985.

ElvisMickey

I seem to notice it more and more with each trip I go on. During my trip a few weeks ago, one of the cast members outside the Haunted Mansion was talking to another CM and was saying how she was so glad that it was her "Friday" and how she couldn't wait to get off of work. I've seen/heard other CM's display the same type of behavior too.

The problem is, there are not enough quality "Disney" people to fill every open position that Walt Disney World has. The resort has gotten so huge. I'm sure it's tough to find great cast members to fill all of their open positions. At some point, they probably have to start being less picky in their hiring just to get all of their spots filled.

M.T. LOTT

I am wondering if the College program has anything to do with it. You get that many kids working etc you are going to see the odd hicup. It is also such a large operation now it is hard to keep the same control.

zooey

The majority of problems like these are a result of the big management flush from a few years ago. They don't have enough managers and they don't train them well enough. Traditions training isn't as long as it used to be.

I had a Haunted Mansion CM that was actually wearing sunglasses on the job, standing out front of the attraction. But you know, she probably never thought about it, and there wasn't a manager there to tell her not to wear something out of character while on the job.

Do what I did and write a letter. Be articulate and constructive. Disney does listen, as Ive always heard a response in an email or phone call. Whether or not those concerns make it to the ears of people who matter, I have no idea, but it is better to be active rather than passive towards things like this. They have to know that guests (which equals money) are noticing these things slip.

elisatonks

I had a Haunted Mansion CM that was actually wearing sunglasses on the job, standing out front of the attraction. But you know, she probably never thought about it, and there wasn't a manager there to tell her not to wear something out of character while on the job.

CM's are allowed to wear sunglasses when working outside during daylight hours, as long as you can see there eyes through the glasses, regardless of the role, so by what you said is this case, said CM was abiding with all disney look regulations. This all comes down to health and safety as the making CM stand out in the sun and not allowing the use of sunglasses while in these positions could cause health problems for many CM. For example i have to wear mine outside otherwise i get headaches from the sun real easy.

ddbowdoin

I have never experienced bad service... but I only have two trips to recall upon. I was there May 2010 and March 2011 and had nothing but prime service. I was actually surprised I didnt get anyone rude at all.

In fact... at mousegears I had a CM let me have 3 chances for a vinylmation trade in!

DisneyJoe

We called again 10 days before our arrival, to the hotel desk as that's when the reservations come out of the main system and move to the hotel. No problem. I called the hotel desk again 2 days before arrival, no problem. We also asked if we could purchase our tickets at the same time as we checked in. We were told yes.

When we got there, they were going to put us in another building. We said no. Then they said that the would not be able to give my dad an adjoining room.

My dad arrived and his room wasn't ready until 5:30. Luckily he could stash his luggage in our room so the entire day wasn't a bust, but what really stunk was he was charged the full days rate, which in the Poly is high enough and they wouldn't do a thing for us. His room was down the hall about 8 doors away.

A few notes:

- reservations move over to the hotel about 5 days before you arrive, not 10. They wait until the final cancellation date has passed before making the computer transfer.

- it is next to impossible to speak to the actual front desk, you are always sent to a call center for 99.9% of the calls, only those that are truly needed to be sent to the front desk because the call center can't handle them are routed there

- in Disney hotel-speak, "adjoining" means nearby, it could even mean across the hall or down the hall a bit. "connecting" means the 2 rooms have a connecting door.

- if you were putting your tickets on your room key, you should have been able to purchase them at check in. If you were purchasing separate tickets, you would need to go to the Lobby Concierge. (even then, some CM's know how to put the keys on your KTTW)

- check in is officially 3pm, not getting a room until 5:30 is not uncommon (and not just at Disney). You don't pay for a hotel room per day, you pay per nights stay, so there was no reason to not charge you the full rate.

- finally, for your building and room requests - Disney should have told you, and its on every piece of reservation confirmation literature, that "due to our high occupancy levels, requests cannot be guaranteed". It's possible that if you took the building that they had originally assigned you to, that your dad could have had a room closer to yours. They do their best to meet most requests, but sometimes the guest needs to have some flexibility too.

stratman50th

A few notes:

- reservations move over to the hotel about 5 days before you arrive, not 10. They wait until the final cancellation date has passed before making the computer transfer.
They told us 10 days back then in 2010, and two months ago in January 2011 when we booked this years trip they told us 10 days.

- it is next to impossible to speak to the actual front desk, you are always sent to a call center for 99.9% of the calls, only those that are truly needed to be sent to the front desk because the call center can't handle them are routed there
Is it a call center inside the hotel? I was given all impression when I called the number listed for the resort and desk, that's where it was. I don't have to talk to the person actually waiting on people in line, just someone who can honor a request.

- in Disney hotel-speak, "adjoining" means nearby, it could even mean across the hall or down the hall a bit. "connecting" means the 2 rooms have a connecting door.
I'll remember that.

- if you were putting your tickets on your room key, you should have been able to purchase them at check in. If you were purchasing separate tickets, you would need to go to the Lobby Concierge. (even then, some CM's know how to put the keys on your KTTW)
I was told the same thing you're telling me now. Unfortunately the training or knowhow didn't make it to those manning the check in desk.

- finally, for your building and room requests - Disney should have told you, and its on every piece of reservation confirmation literature, that "due to our high occupancy levels, requests cannot be guaranteed". It's possible that if you took the building that they had originally assigned you to, that your dad could have had a room closer to yours. They do their best to meet most requests, but sometimes the guest needs to have some flexibility too.
And we did which was why I said we understood not getting the "connecting" rooms. I manage an IT help desk for a government agency. One of the big things that I stress to my people is managing expectations. I inquired, and was assured during three separate phone conversations, three separate times, with three separate individuals that my requests, and I knew that's what they were, requests, could be met. That's when they went from simple requests to expectations. Don't ever tell a customer that you can do something if you aren't absolutely sure you can actually do it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is it a call center inside the hotel? I was given all impression when I called the number listed for the resort and desk, that's where it was. I don't have to talk to the person actually waiting on people in line, just someone who can honor a request.
No. The call center most likely spoke to is located off property in Tampa. Anytime a guest calls any front desk of any Disney resort concerning an upcoming reservation they are supposed to be transfered to one of the call centers. About the only time you will speak to the actual resort staff is if you are already checked in.

zooey

CM's are allowed to wear sunglasses when working outside during daylight hours, as long as you can see there eyes through the glasses, regardless of the role, so by what you said is this case, said CM was abiding with all disney look regulations. This all comes down to health and safety as the making CM stand out in the sun and not allowing the use of sunglasses while in these positions could cause health problems for many CM. For example i have to wear mine outside otherwise i get headaches from the sun real easy.

Ahh, I didn't know. I can sympathize, as I also hate being in the sun without my sunglasses. That was the least of the HM CM issues that I wrote to them about, as their was some other issues. Good to know though. :)

DisneyJoe

just someone who can honor a request

No one at Disney can guarantee a request - requests are never guaranteed. I'm sorry your expectations where set improperly.

Think of it this way - the rooms are not 100% assigned until you are at the front desk checking in - they do their best to block you into a certain area, but just say a group of 4 families check-in an hour before you, and they requested Building B, and you requested Building A. Those families go to their rooms in Building B and can't stand the location, so they go back to the desk and they get switched to Building A - and effectively bump you out of where the room assigner has penciled you in. They then need to find you a room when you check in that can hopefully meet your needs and requests - but now they may need to move you to Building B where there are openings.

The only things you can guarantee 99.999% are the things that you pay an extra cost for - preferred room/building location - water/pool view - savannah view at AKL - Magic Kingdom view at a resort - concierge level - bunk bed rooms at AKL/WL - etc. If it doesn't involve an extra charge (and sometimes not even 100% then) then it isn't guaranteed.

JustPlainBill

I can't say that I've noticed the cast members were any different, in fact i've never had a bad experience, but I can say I was disappointed in the Polynesian last year. I hate to be besmirching the character of a nice resort, especially when it seems to be a big favorite here. I'm actually a big fan of the Poly as well. But I noticed some things that really kind of put me off.
When I stayed at the Poly a few years ago, I had high expectations, had a concierge room in the Hawaii longhouse. The room did seem a bit run down, some light bulbs were blown out and the fridge wasn't working, but the view was great! Called maintenance, who replaced the bulbs right away, but they said the fridge was housekeeping's responsibility. Called housekeeping after the maintenance guy left at about 4:00 PM, Houskeeping said on the phone that they would swap the fridge out for us while we were at the luau that night. Got back to the room around 11 pm and the fridge was still the same. I called and asked where our replacement fridge was. To my surprise I was told it was replaced already. I complained that it wasn't. A woman from housekeeping showed up at about 1:00 am, and began to argue imeadiately upon entering the room, telling me that they did replace the fridge. I told them that this was the same fridge that was here before, I pointed to the dent on the side and the scratch on the door that I identified when I checked into the room that afternoon when I first noticed it wasn't working. The housekeeper then told me, after looking at it, that she thought the fridge was working. I opened the door to the fridge, I showed her that it was warm inside with wet condensation dripping from the freezer. She then stuck her hand in the unit and told me that she thought the fridge was fine and that's as cool as these units get. Now challenged, I informed her that I was a maintenance manager back home, and I've owned a few refrigerators myself. I know when a piece of equipment isn't working as it should. The soft, melting cheese I had inside was a bit of a clue. Without speaking she then brought a new fridge from the hall outside the room. I then asked the housekeeper why she was arguing with me when she had a replacement one outside the whole time! All she had to do was swap it. She said nothing. By the way the new fridge worked perfectly! The rest of the stay there was fine, but that one incident tainted our view of the housekeeping staff and the overall management of the hotel, very unprofessional behavior. All I wanted was a working fridge. Reported the incident, never got any feedback from the hotel.

WDW 3

I am wondering if the College program has anything to do with it. You get that many kids working etc you are going to see the odd hicup. It is also such a large operation now it is hard to keep the same control.

In my experience the college kids have been great! We always talk to them when the opportunity arises and they have always been helpful and pleasant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom