Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Just equip each cab with parachutes for all the occupants. It works in cartoons, and half the gondolas are decorated in cartoon characters so it has to work.
They can put Toy Story green soldier parachutes on those gondolas. And Rapunzel hair rope on Tangled gondola.
Different methods depending which IP is wrapped on the gondola. Frozone and Frozen get a giant icicle to slide down.

IP related evacuation methods will enhance the guest experience.

ImperfectPixie

I agree, there are still open issues.

All discussions circle back to the same issue and rightly so, the evacuation procedure for the Skyliner (or lack of it). It seems this will continue to be an open question and now the the Skyliner is back in operation, this issue will fade into the background........ Until the next malfunction.

Lets hope there are no more malfunctions.

Lets face it, Disney got (relatively) lucky the first malfunction happened at night when its not as hot up there.
There isn't a "lack" of evacuation procedure. Had 911 not been called and emergency services requested, they would have moved the damaged cars off the line, restarted the system, and people would have walked off at the stations.

lazyboy97o

I agree, there are still open issues.

All discussions circle back to the same issue and rightly so, the evacuation procedure for the Skyliner (or lack of it). It seems this will continue to be an open question and now the the Skyliner is back in operation, this issue will fade into the background........ Until the next malfunction.

Lets hope there are no more malfunctions.

Lets face it, Disney got (relatively) lucky the first malfunction happened at night when its not as hot up there.
All issues that apply to the monorail where the heat gets worse.

Disstevefan1

All issues that apply to the monorail where the heat gets worse.

For the most part, it seems to me, the evacuation procedures are easier and faster to execute for the monorail , and YES, I was evacuated from the monorail, not near any platform, they drove the stars on the pickup over to the monorail. It was a long time ago and today I just remember it as an unusual adventure at WDW.

Last edited:

Minthorne

You might wanna ask S.I.R. if that is doable.

Fair enough - although maybe I wouldn't want to after all. It seems the cabin wouldn't have as much ventilation...

Phil12

There isn't a "lack" of evacuation procedure. Had 911 not been called and emergency services requested, they would have moved the damaged cars off the line, restarted the system, and people would have walked off at the stations.
But when? What is a "reasonable" amount of time for someone to wait before calling 911 when stranded in a gondola? After waiting for twenty minutes and hearing repeated assurances over the onboard intercom that the stoppage is temporary and that the gondolas will resume moving momentarily would make me question the competence of the ride operators.

I would want emergency services to be notified if for no other reason than to get supervisory personnel involved so that extra attention was focused upon the long delay. And hopefully procedures and practices would be examined to make sure long delays would not occur again.

Of course, I don't think anyone wants to be sitting in a gondola for an extended period of time while they have an urgent need to go to the bathroom. And obviously, there are going to be folks with real medical problems (such as epilepsy, insulin dependent diabetics, etc.) that may not be able to tolerate long delays without a serious health risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom