Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

FigmentFreak

Just equip each cab with parachutes for all the occupants. It works in cartoons, and half the gondolas are decorated in cartoon characters so it has to work.

How about the escape ladders? :eek:
Escape ladder.PNG

Heppenheimer

How about people get their anxieties and personal issues under control before visiting a Disney resort and not expect all of their inner demons to magically disappear under a shower of pixie dust, and hence, not flip out when the gondolas inevitably come to a temporary or even extended stop? You know, like every other gondola system in the world!

HiJe

Wait everyone. I've got it. I've solved the problem. What about a giant concrete beam below the gondolas with a smooth futuristic looking train car that could transport the evacuees. It could pass through buildings and make stops at the parks also all by just operating on one single rail. A sort of "Mono" rail of sorts. 🤡

Doug Means

Wait everyone. I've got it. I've solved the problem. What about a giant concrete beam below the gondolas with a smooth futuristic looking train car that could transport the evacuees. It could pass through buildings and make stops at the parks also all by just operating on one single rail. A sort of "Mono" rail of sorts. 🤡
though a good idea, i like the idea of an elevated moving sidewalk that runs just under the gondolas. people could just drop down to it when the gondolas stop, or choose to use it instead of the gondolas

Disstevefan1

Odd idea- why not just have elevated walkways, with ramps down at set intervals, perhaps with bus stations? I know some distances are long, but I see several advantages:
  1. Easily evacuate Gondola system- floor opens one-way to a retractable staircase, which guests can step down onto the platform.
  2. Walkways around WDW for guest use
  3. Runners- and maybe RunDisney?
The only issue I would see is sight-lines, but what's more important- ideal guest safety and comfort or eye candy. Just my two cents.

Why not? Answer, cost. In my opinion, the best but the most expensive solution would have been an expansion of the monorail system. The next best and less expensive solution would have been man made waterways. Disney chose the least expensive solution. Adding the walkways would blow the budget.

I totally get it though, the lack of a good evaluation process is troubling. I guess it’s up to each individual to decide for themselves if they want to ride the skyliner.

scottieRoss

@ImperfectPixie, I would argue that was the problem. But that the problem was that someone authorized stopping recovery to allow RCES to do the rescue. Which would have taken longer, removing the teal cabin from the line and begin bringing the cabins back to the stations or the entire "rescue mission" for the guest? I bet they could have safely brought the cabins back and rescued the panicky guest in the same amount of time and spared the other guests the wait.

ImperfectPixie

@ImperfectPixie, I would argue that was the problem. But that the problem was that someone authorized stopping recovery to allow RCES to do the rescue. Which would have taken longer, removing the teal cabin from the line and begin bringing the cabins back to the stations or the entire "rescue mission" for the guest? I bet they could have safely brought the cabins back and rescued the panicky guest in the same amount of time and spared the other guests the wait.
Yes, but once emergency services is involved, that takes priority over everything else.

Rob562

Yes, but once emergency services is involved, that takes priority over everything else.

Presumably at the time RCES got involved, the Skyliner maintenance people were still evaluating the situation and figuring out how to deal with it. If RCES asked what the estimated time to restart was and they answered "we don't know yet", RCES is all but required to begin the evacuation of the medical emergency.

In an emergency medical situation, time is key. Better to go into action with a timeline that they can control to potentially save a life rather than standing around and hoping that the problem is solved soon.

Absurd-scenario parallel situation time: you have an urgent medical issue that needs a particular medication and go to the pharmacy down the street. They're out of stock, but they know more is on the delivery truck arriving that day. Do you wait around because the truck might arrive in 5 minutes? But maybe the truck might take 3 houo. Or do you go seek out another pharmacy?

-Rob

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Presumably at the time RCES got involved, the Skyliner maintenance people were still evaluating the situation and figuring out how to deal with it. If RCES asked what the estimated time to restart was and they answered "we don't know yet", RCES is all but required to begin the evacuation of the medical emergency.

In an emergency medical situation, time is key. Better to go into action with a timeline that they can control to potentially save a life rather than standing around and hoping that the problem is solved soon.

Absurd-scenario parallel situation time: you have an urgent medical issue that needs a particular medication and go to the pharmacy down the street. They're out of stock, but they know more is on the delivery truck arriving that day. Do you wait around because the truck might arrive in 5 minutes? But maybe the truck might take 3 houo. Or do you go seek out another pharmacy?

-Rob
Yup...totally agree.

pdude81

No, the idea behind it is not moving them, whereas evacuating in place. If there was an elevated walkway, like a bridge, than there could be a one-way hatch below, at which firefighters could simply pull down, creating a retractable, but short, staircase to allow guests to walk off, onto this long, bridge-like structure that runs directly underneath the gondolas, without requiring guests to stay in the cabin in the event of an issue. I know it's a crappy idea, but who knows?

Edit: It's essentially a really long, elevated crosswalk like this, except obviously with an open roof and a lot longer:
View attachment 418684
Because making sky bridges to walk all over Disney in the air would cost more than monorail beams, and if they did that there would be no reason at all to have the cable cars. And then there is the issue of clearance over roadways and parking lots if it truly went below the Skyliner.

They should really just spend the money and develop a molecular transport system to reduce wait times. It worked in the Fly, sort of.

Heppenheimer

Because making sky bridges to walk all over Disney in the air would cost more than monorail beams, and if they did that there would be no reason at all to have the cable cars. And then there is the issue of clearance over roadways and parking lots if it truly went below the Skyliner.

They should really just spend the money and develop a molecular transport system to reduce wait times. It worked in the Fly, sort of.
I might come out half Floridaman!

Disstevefan1

-Rob
I agree, there are still open issues.

All discussions circle back to the same issue and rightly so, the evacuation procedure for the Skyliner (or lack of it). It seems this will continue to be an open question and now the the Skyliner is back in operation, this issue will fade into the background........ Until the next malfunction.

Lets hope there are no more malfunctions.

Lets face it, Disney got (relatively) lucky the first malfunction happened at night when its not as hot up there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom