Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Kevin_W

I don't disagree with you, but stops are pretty common on ski lifts too (chairlifts even moreso than gondolas). I haven't visited Disney World since the Skyliner opened, so I can't compare the relative number of stops. However, at the resort closest to me with gondolas (Stowe), it's pretty rare that I make it all the way the mountain without at least one short stop.

I seem to recall the main gondola line at Garmisch-Partenkirchen also stopping very frequently.

Interesting. While chairlifts stop frequently, I cannot recall ever being on a gondola that stopped at a ski resort. (I've never skied Stowe.)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
In my post last night, I did not bring up what I thought might be the problems. As stated in other posts, I too believe that the average Disney guest is less fit, slower, larger, with more medical issues, both physical and mental than the average population. My next opinion might get me in trouble. I also believe that the average Disney guess is less intelligent. 50% of the population will always be less intelligent than the other 50%, and I think the less intelligent group travels to Disney more frequently.

I wonder how many of the stops, slow downs, and delays were caused by those people. They can not figure out to close a stroller until they get to the door, even though they know that they will be boarding in less than a minute. They get on anything boats, busses, goldolas, and ride vehicles and sit in the first seat, making everyone walk around them. Park tickets, wallets, money, and keys are always buried in some backpack or bag when they get to the
register or scanner, and they hold up the line.

The gondolas should be so simple and easy to ride, but when you try and load the the average Disney guest, you get slowdowns, delays, and stops.
Yep. A lot of these people can't even master getting on a bus. Let alone a flying death box.

ImperfectPixie

According to local news WESH, Reedy Creek firefighter union voicing FD staffing issue again. Used 30 of 32 firefighters on duty for evening skyliner incident. What's the ETA of assisting departments from another town to respond to other WDW 911calls and do they know WDW property like the back of their hand like RCFD does?😏
I believe it was Orlando Sentinal (could have been a different source though) who earlier reported that it was 23 (it was low 20s) firefighters that responded. A California news outlet is jumping on the ridiculousness bandwagon as well, making it sound as if every gondola was evacuated while still on the line, which we know to be untrue.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I believe it was Orlando Sentinal (could have been a different source though) who earlier reported that it was 23 (it was low 20s) firefighters that responded. A California news outlet is jumping on the ridiculousness bandwagon as well, making it sound as if every gondola was evacuated while still on the line, which we know to be untrue.

Was that before the torrential downpour began with the flurry of lightning strikes? Or was it after they rescued the poor soul who was dangling from the bottom of a gondola as he tried to make his escape. Within a week's time this will become the "worst catastrophe in the history of Disney". Give it a month and viola "The worst in the state of Florida."

I'm just hoping its open when I'm there later this month.

Heppenheimer

Interesting. While chairlifts stop frequently, I cannot recall ever being on a gondola that stopped at a ski resort. (I've never skied Stowe.)
One of the factors at Stowe might be that in addition to the skiers, they get a fair number of people riding the gondola just for the excursion.

Bretton Woods is opening a new gondola this season, so this will give me another data point to compare. This resort tends to attract more families with young children, so I'm expecting frequent stops.

ImperfectPixie

In my post last night, I did not bring up what I thought might be the problems. As stated in other posts, I too believe that the average Disney guest is less fit, slower, larger, with more medical issues, both physical and mental than the average population. My next opinion might get me in trouble. I also believe that the average Disney guess is less intelligent. 50% of the population will always be less intelligent than the other 50%, and I think the less intelligent group travels to Disney more frequently.

I wonder how many of the stops, slow downs, and delays were caused by those people. They can not figure out to close a stroller until they get to the door, even though they know that they will be boarding in less than a minute. They get on anything boats, busses, goldolas, and ride vehicles and sit in the first seat, making everyone walk around them. Park tickets, wallets, money, and keys are always buried in some backpack or bag when they get to the

The gondolas should be so simple and easy to ride, but when you try and load the the average Disney guest, you get slowdowns, delays, and stops.
Some of that isn't lack of intelligence, it is a sense of entitlement. There's a big difference.
And that sense of entitlement is what worries me. I can see lots of inconsiderate and entitled people saying "Meh. If I freak out because I'm afraid of heights or claustrophobic, they'll just come get me" with total disregard to the costs involved and the affect on other guests.

SpoiledBlueMilk

I like it, ruthless. 20-30 minutes, sack up dude. Do realize for people with phobias that's enough to black out from high blood pressure and in the old can trigger a heart attack. Actually in the young and panicked as well.

The Skyway of death starts it's legacy.....

Or if you know you have an anxiety disorder, you can opt to not ride the Skyliner at all and exercise some personal responsibility....

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
And that sense of entitlement is what worries me. I can see lots of inconsiderate and entitled people saying "Meh. If I freak out because I'm afraid of heights or claustrophobic, they'll just come get me" with total disregard to the costs involved and the affect on other guests.
Do you not know how much money these people have dropped to ride Disneys incredible sky ovens of flaming death. They should have Mickey mouse himself come riding to the rescue if they are stopped for more than a minute .

Lilofan

Was that before the torrential downpour began with the flurry of lightning strikes? Or was it after they rescued the poor soul who was dangling from the bottom of a gondola as he tried to make his escape. Within a week's time this will become the "worst catastrophe in the history of Disney". Give it a month and viola "The worst in the state of Florida."

I'm just hoping its open when I'm there later this month.
The media writers who majored in journalism in college are practicing their art.

Lilofan

Other parts of the world where it involves search and rescue, the person rescued sometimes gets a huge bill for the search and rescue services. In Disney it's free.

ImperfectPixie

Other parts of the world where it involves search and rescue, the person rescued sometimes gets a huge bill for the search and rescue services. In Disney it's free.
That's my point. It doesn't cost the guest anything, so they don't care. Disney still has to pay for it - and costs escalate even more if there's another emergency and/or assistance is needed from stations outside of Reedy Creek.

wdwtopten

This is the most insulting thing I have ever read on these boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom