Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Dad 2 M & M

Anyone know if it is running today?
Did anyone answer?
Definitely, but we chose CBR over a deluxe specifically so that we could ride the Skyliner. I'm not saying that we are entitled to anything, nor am I complaining. But, I'm sharing how our family feels about it and how I imagine other families may feel today as well. I'm curious how this may play for out families whose vacations are coming up.
Right on....I'd consider moving resorts if the gondolas played heavy in your decision/plans
If you chose the skyliner over a deluxe, just because of the skyliner, I think you may be better off changing to a deluxe. I mean if you are ok with the extra cost for a deluxe or are used to them, I don't know if a totally working incident free skyliner would have made you feel better about having less amenities and room. Plus some of those Deluxes have some pretty nifty transportation options as well.
I agree, but would add the Epcot Resort busing to Ak and MK is terrible...always shared! Water taxi is among the best on property and rivals the monorail

bugsbunny

You know who I feel for the most? RCFD and all first responders that had to deal with this for hours. I was a firefighter for 17 years and when it comes to anything dealing with heights and rescuing Joe and Jane Public, honestly, I'd rather have to put out a fully engulfed warehouse full of chemicals. It doesn't matter if its 5 feet or 500 feet above ground level. WAY too many people fall to pieces when it comes to heights and it can make any type of extrication excruciating for everybody.

In all seriousness, you cannot imagine some of difficulties in having to deal with frightened people in an emergency situation. And this, quite frankly, wasn't an emergency to get these people out of the gondolas. But to the passengers, they are TOTALLY out of their element and now have get in a bucket high off the ground. Instant recipe for panic attacks. I don't know what RCFD protocols were, but for the sake of expediting the evacuations., I can't imagine they were making the passengers harness up before getting in the bucket. This increases the reliance that the passengers can self extricate, which quite frankly, can be abysmal. Just getting people to take that first step out and into that bucket can be borderline impossible. Or it rocks a tiny bit and they break into a full fledged panic that can put the first responder and others in danger. Then add in hyperventilating, panic attacks, etc.

Whatever they pay RCFD, it ain't enough. ;)

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Usually just a reader, but holy hell, the bickering and garbage posts to wade through to find an actual piece of information is astonishing. Just a tip - you don't have to post every thought that comes to mind...

Actual question: Is the Skyliner running with guests today? Testing without? Does anyone have insight into management's plan on how to proceed from here or how things will change?
I love it, trash the crowd for which you seek an answer from. :joyfull:

Dad 2 M & M

Usually just a reader, but holy hell, the bickering and garbage posts to wade through to find an actual piece of information is astonishing. Just a tip - you don't have to post every thought that comes to mind...

Actual question: Is the Skyliner running with guests today? Testing without? Does anyone have insight into management's plan on how to proceed from here or how things will change?
Would be nice if someone would chime in and advise if it was up and running....

TP2000

Here’s what I can confirm after speaking with a close source:

Shortly after the Skyliner stopped due to the incident at the station, a guest or someone else onboard with them in one of the vehicles called 911. The guest was patched through to Reedy Creek as they were claustrophobic, hyperventilating, and had a history of seizures in the past. The maintenance team that was dispatched to assess what happened was stopped from doing any work until the guest was emergency evacuated as a result of emergency services in the ride path. Reedy Creek had major challenges locating the specific Guest since the vehicle identification number is only printed on the side of each cabin - not on the bottom. The vehicle itself was in a position that obstructed the view of the number as well as the low light conditions. Reportedly the operators also do not have a system in place to determine how many guests are onboard or if the vehicle is occupied at all.

As a result of the delayed evacuation, other guests on board were overloading the emergency call button as well as the 911 operator if they had cell phones. My source is unsure how many other vehicles were evacuated by Reedy Creek, but I’m sure that each minute they were up there and seen doing so elicited more responses from other guests that may not have necessarily required it. People who were in no physical danger - just the many who were exhausted, hot, scared, hungry, needed a restroom, and some who did not speak English.

Once the maintenance team resolved the issue and deemed it safe to do so, they slowly cycled out the Skyliner as this is the most efficient way to get people off any ride.

From my source, it’s been a shared that the emergency kits on board some of the vehicles were previously opened or taken by guests earlier in the day who knew of their existence. Disney would have no way of knowing as It would be an operational nightmare to continuously check the contents of each vehicle throughout the day. They also would have had to come up with some way of locking them that did not impede proper usage. If the kits were not tampered with, they often did not have enough to supply the entire cabin.

- - - - - - -
The following is completely speculatory:

I’m not aware of the failures that happened when the gondola transitions from the station at Rivera back to the main line which resulted in a “trains ahead” collision that caused the Skyliner to emergency stop. I would very much like to know if this was something that the ride system monitors with sensors.

I will say that it’s concerning how fast, to me, the vehicles enter into the station echoing some concerns expressed earlier. If for some reason a group of unaccompanied teenagers or heavy drinkers from one of Epcot’s many festivals decided to forcibly rock the vehicle they were riding in as it enters the station, I fear it would be up to the Cast Members recognize the danger to the vehicles in between and to e-stop it. I’m sure that this has been thought of, but I’m concerned that they are relying too much on the operators in the station or control tower to stop the Skyliner given that there was nothing that preemptively stopped the collision of the vehicle last night.

I would also like to throw my hat into the ring regarding the heat discussion. If you’ve ever been stopped on the PeopleMover in one of the interior tunnels, excluding Space Mountain, it’s completely shielded from the outside elements. However it is not air conditioned and there is absolutely no breeze unless the vehicles are moving. It’s super hot, even in cooler days. Getting evacuated from there takes much less time than being cherry picked or zip lined down by Reedy Creek up in the sky.

The Skyliner is not the Monorail. Both traverse high-in-the-sky above roadways, parking lots, and buildings. While the monorail’s vehicles are condensed into separate trains, the Skyliner’s vehicles are stretched out over a vast space. There’s no towing option either. Logistically it’s a much bigger beast to evacuate the Skyliner.

Time and time again Disney likes to do things on the cheap, but put a fancy dress on it. They are more concerned on appearances and how it goes into the story versus the comfort of the people who actually utilize it. In many cases too, the designers are building with California in mind instead of super intolerable Florida weather. Hell, they even screwed up with Disneyland’s most recent monorail makeover and their lack of cabin ventilation.

Choosing a gondola based transit system that spans long distances in Florida weather, in my opinion, shows how out of touch the powers that control expenditures are at Disney. During normal operation it’s semi-practical, but once it stops for any long period of time it’s logistically going to be a huge problem like we saw.

Thank you! For those of us who were offline this weekend, this info is extremely helpful to get up to speed with. :)

I was up in Santa Barbara since Thursday and just drove home this morning when I heard it first, as this was being covered on the local Los Angeles news radio stations several times per hour. I kept thinking "Oh, wow! I can't wait to get back home to check wdwmagic for all the dirty details." I see via a News search that in the last few hours many national media sites are putting up stories about it as well. Funny how this news flew under the radar (pardon the pun) for the first 36 hours until Monday morning.

Interesting that it's still closed. If this had happened in California with California regulations and laws, this transportation system would be closed for months, if not a year or more.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

We have resort ressie for AoA next week, with MNSSHP Monday, and planned on cashing in on the Gondolas for the Epcot EME Tuesday. Hope they’re operating/operational by then! If not, we will consider moving to a Value (if available)

Dad 2 M & M

Thank you! For those of us who were offline this weekend, this info is extremely helpful to get up to speed with. :)

I was up in Santa Barbara since Thursday and just drove home this morning, and this was being covered on the local Los Angeles news radio stations several times per hour and I kept thinking "Oh, wow! I can't wait to get back home to check wdwmagic for all the dirty details." I see via a News search that in the last few hours many national media sites are putting up stories about it as well. Funny how this news flew under the radar (pardon the pun) for the first 36 hours until Monday morning.

Interesting that it's still closed. If this had happened in California with California regulations and laws, this transportation system would be closed for months, if not a year or more.
Heard that...we spent the latter part of last week in Detroit, the weekend in Toronto, Sunday in Warren, and drove back last night .....couldn’t wait to catch up on the down and dirty

Mickeyboof

I absolutely cannot stand that Disney doesn’t explain what happened on attractions that stop. In my 23 years of visiting, I’ve never seen an engineer or cast member say what has gone wrong in person. There’s only one video I have ever seen of an engineer explain what what wrong when ToT went down. Cool video, wish they did this every time.

I think this is a rare occasion when an engineer is directly present with guests. Usually they’re busy fixing the problems. Cast Members might not know the detailed issue with a stop.

durangojim

It's a conversation we're having in my house. We are booked in December, and chose CBR specifically for the Skyliner. We also have a 1-year old, and my husband is seriously questioning whether or not we should stay there (although we have free dining and cannot rebook elsewhere now without losing the free dining).

So many of the posts her are extremes -- either the Skyliner is the Disney Death Trap or being trapped up there for 3 hours is an awesome time to hang out and anyone who thinks otherwise is overreacting. The truth for many of us is somewhere in the middle (while we scroll through all of the ridiculous posts to try and find useful information and helpful insights).

We're trying not to overreact in our house, but this situation (and aftermath) has certainly given us a reason to pause and assess. I can't imagine we're the only family doing so. I was speaking with another CEO in the same building as my office this morning. He took his family to WDW in August, and while he isn't a "nerd" like me, he is a casual fan of the parks. He had already heard about the Skyliner incident, and was quick to exclaim that he was glad he wouldn't be staying in a Skyliner resort in the future. I wonder how the phone lines are for CMs this morning, and how they are handling concerned Guests.
We originally were going to stay at Riviera in January because of the discount. We've now changed to the BC. Even without this major problem this weekend it seems like there are quite a few operational issues. @lentesta mentioned on today's podcast that it took 90 minutes to do a round trip from DHS and back again even with 30 of those being waiting in line. We can walk to and from EPCOT and DHS in much less time than that and it's just not worth having to put up with delays.

WDW_Jon

I am not offended, I am just correcting a factually inaccurate statement you made. There is a person in this thread who writes a blog about gondolas, and him and others in this thread have operated these systems. A number of people on this thread have ridden the system. This system is not unique to Disney. So it's inaccurate to say no one this thread knows about the system since it just opened.
I’m sticking with 1% know anything.
It was a light hearted post and more an opinion that most are clueless. I stand by that so calm the ‘innacutate’ point scoring tone.

You are kind of reacting like someone who was stuck up there for 3 hours 😉 😆

danlb_2000

Premium Member

No, it is not running today with guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom