Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
Question about the rappelling evacuation process. How does the rescuer first get up to the gondola to attach the ropes? I’m sure it’s somewhere in that other thread, but it’s soooo many pages to sift through.

Pretty sure they climb a tower and move down the line to the cabin in question. WDW's system is low enough they might use launches to get feeder lines over the cable and climb up those too. I don't have specifics on how WDW would do it.

twilight mitsuk

this is accurate. Friendship boats get paid less than other watercraft because friendship boats are technically attractions. A friend who is a friendship captain left and went to skyliner and he took a pay cut, so I’d imagine skyliner is under the attractions umbrella based on that, since transportation CMs get paid more.

Or it could just be the lowest transportation gig on property. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Because he transferred from attractions to transportation

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
WDW should make use of their drone tech.
Drones with attached stretchers will fly into the cabin. Guests strap themselves in and descend.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
WDW should make use of their drone tech.
Drones with attached stretchers will fly into the cabin. Guests strap themselves in and descend.

What could possibly go wrong?

natatomic

Because he transferred from attractions to transportation

not necessarily. Technically, FSBs are a hybrid. You start off at the same pay as attractions (or close to it – I think I got a $.50 raise initially when I first went from attractions to friendships) but after 1 year, you get a dollar pay raise. in transportation roles such as watercraft and monorails, you lose your seniority until you’ve been in that position for two years. You don’t lose your seniority at friendship boats, however any seniority you accrue there would count towards seniority in a transportation role (probably not buses since that’s a whole different beast). So anyone who transfers from friendships to watercraft or monorails after two years doesn’t lose any of their seniority. Or, even if they transfer after one year, they only lose her seniority for one year before getting it back since I have one year accrued. And there’s no pay cut to go to transportation.
Regardless, even if it’s technically considered transportation, I’d imagine it’s almost like friendship boats where it’s considered a bit of a hybrid, especially since it operates much more like an attraction. That’s probably why it’s a pay decrease.

Last edited:

Jimbotron

not necessarily. Technically, FSBs are a hybrid. You start off at the same pay as attractions (or close to it – I think I got a $.50 raise initially when I first went from attractions to friendships) but after 1 year, you get a dollar pay raise. in transportation roles such as watercraft and monorails, you lose your seniority until you’ve been in that position for two years. You don’t lose your seniority at friendship boats, however any seniority you accrue there would count towards seniority in a transportation role (probably not buses since that’s a whole different beast). So anyone who transfers from friendships to watercraft or monorails after two years doesn’t lose any of their seniority. Or, even if they transfer after one year, they only lose her seniority for one year before getting it back since I have one year accrued. And there’s no pay cut to go to transportation.
Regardless, even if it’s technically considered transportation, I’d imagine it’s almost like friendship boats where it’s considered a bit of a hybrid, especially since it operates much more like an attraction. That’s probably why it’s a pay decrease.
Congratulations on being one of the posts on page 100! I don’t recall seeing any other thread with this longevity

Goofyernmost

True, but the monorails had an incredibly clean history for decades before that.
These skyliners literally just started and within a week...this.

Now imagine if it was a summer afternoon 95+ degrees with 90% humidity and people were caught in there for 4 hours.
From some of the twitter reports from those stranded they said it was getting hot in the cars already and that was at night.
Well there was that time long before the fatality on July 4th when one caught on fire.
monorailfire06-26-1985.jpg

Goofyernmost

I've been reading these boards for quite a while before I decided to actually comment.
There are many people on here who had serious reservations and concerns about the skyliner.
And of course there are many on here who go out of their way to defend Disney no matter what happens.
and there are others who get rather confrontational with people who dare voice their opinions.
I often wonder if some of them actually work for Disney.
Yea, but that is because there is no need to be constantly inventing reasons to dislike something. If those that were adimentally determined that death was imminent are really not to be concerned about. There is no forced march for anyone to ride them. It is very simple to avoid them all the time. This was a completely unexpected happening. Of the thousands of scenarios listed that was not one of them. Ironic isn't it? Anyway, every form of transportation has its own risk. To zero in on this is ridiculous. How many cars a day crash, how many people are killed by them everyday? Yet, we get in cars without giving it a thought. Crap happens! It's like the first Shuttle explosion. There was no better time to ride the Shuttle then the first one after that. Everything was gone through with a fine tooth comb. They will find a way to fix this problem because it isn't just Disney that has a stake in this. The manufacturer has a lot to lose as well. Perhaps it is better that this happened early on. It will be fixed and all will live happily ever after.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom