Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

TrojanUSC

Of course they were aware. Prolonged closures are not awn unknown and there is no way to guarantee they will not occur. They suck but people survive just fine even when it is hot outside. These are not a sealed box like the monorail, which people also survive prolonged closures without people yelling about how monorails are unsafe and outdated.

That is was off cable is meaningless. It was at an area where all of the gondolas must transit. Something caused gondola 108 to not move onto the cable, something that could have occurred with the next gondola if they just moved to restarting the line.

It was no longer the Disney employees' call when the collision occurred. An incident automatically triggers the involvement of the building department.

Is this a big concern you have with roller coasters? Someone with a fear of heights could get stuck on one. What about elevators? Someone with a fear of heights and confined spaces could get stuck on one. The monorails? People have called 911 about being stuck on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. How many different irrational fears need giant warnings on everything that could be a trigger due to unplanned occurances?

This. People were stuck on the monorail for over an hour a few weeks ago and literally had to wait for Reedy Creek cherry pickers to come remove them a couple weeks ago. It got so hot on board (no cabin ventilation there) they popped open the emergency hatches.

halltd

So genuine question because I don’t know. What happens when you’re having a panic attack? I am sure it’s debilitating and scary, but is it harmful if left to happen? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack. Obviously RCFD thought so. But in hindsight, what do you think would have happened if they just kept working on getting blue out of the way and resumed movement of the cable which is the fastest way to get everyone down?

Again, asking for reals because I don’t know anything about panic attacks and their side effects or consequences of just letting them happen.

Hawg G

The reverse is also true. I laugh my butt off when it’s like 58 at Disney and I’m in shorts and a T-Shirt and people shuffle by in hats, coats, and freaking mittens LOL...

We had some folks from Thailand at our plant once for a few months, in the summer. The literally wore winter coats and gloves in the air conditioned control room that was a bit on the cool side.

UNCgolf

Is this a big concern you have with roller coasters? Someone with a fear of heights could get stuck on one. What about elevators? Someone with a fear of heights and confined spaces could get stuck on one. The monorails? People have called 911 about being stuck on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. How many different irrational fears need giant warnings on everything that could be a trigger due to unplanned occurances?

To be fair, both claustrophobia and a fear of heights are widespread enough that it's hard to just dismiss them out of hand. Something like 15-20 million people just in the United States and 300-400 million worldwide have a fear of heights, and the claustrophobia numbers are even higher (although I'm sure there's some overlap between the two groups).

There's also been some recent evidence that fear of heights isn't as simple as being an irrational fear, and that people with it actually perceive heights differently than people without it (i.e. a 15 foot drop looks like a 40 foot drop to someone with a fear of heights) and there may be no way to change that. But that's not relevant; I just saw something about it recently and found it fascinating.

ImperfectPixie

There are plenty of examples of roller coasters taking hours to evacuate. If someone did call and say they were having an emergency it would trigger the same sort of response with the same sort of stop of motion.
I'm sure there are - but are people with phobias and other conditions as likely to ride a rollercoaster as they are a relatively slow-moving gondola? Are elderly people and infants on rollercoasters? Please...I'm trying to keep my patience here, but these arguments are ridiculous. I stated a valid concern that this will be a big problem going forward based on the information we've gotten so far about this specific incident.

ImperfectPixie

So genuine question because I don’t know. What happens when you’re having a panic attack? I am sure it’s debilitating and scary, but is it harmful if left to happen? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack. Obviously RCFD thought so. But in hindsight, what do you think would have happened if they just kept working on getting blue out of the way and resumed movement of the cable which is the fastest way to get everyone down?

Again, asking for reals because I don’t know anything about panic attacks and their side effects or consequences of just letting them happen.
  • Sense of impending doom or danger
  • Fear of loss of control or death
  • Rapid, pounding heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Shortness of breath or tightness in your throat
  • Chills
  • Hot flashes
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Chest pain
  • Headache
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness or faintness
  • Numbness or tingling sensation
  • Feeling of unreality or detachment

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/panic-attacks/symptoms-causes/syc-20376021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So genuine question because I don’t know. What happens when you’re having a panic attack? I am sure it’s debilitating and scary, but is it harmful if left to happen? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack...

By that logic Disney should also shut down all rides because a break down on them could also cause a panic attack?

Hawg G

Disney does a fabulous job...and goes above and beyond what most theme parks/entertainment venues provide.

Correct, Disney does not meet ADA requirements, they exceed them enormously. Except for Handicapped parking at the Magic Kingdom. ANd the number of H spots in general all over the "World". Those are clearly at required minimums, and they are never available after like an hour of opening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Respectfully, I don’t think Disney has gone out of their way to cater....rather, I think they have followed ADA requirements to assist and support those with special needs of varying sorts and include all in their offerings, like the Skyliner with special boarding locations.

No , disney has done this catering to people long before the ada was even a law. Wheelchairs have skipped the lines long before ada.

beertiki

Home today from POP. We rode the gondola every day from Thursday until Saturday. It was the best transportation on property. We did have a few trips with short quick stops, and one 3 minute or longer stop about noon on Saturday. It was sunny and 90 degrees, and we felt fine. I feel like sitting in the gondola on a bright sunny day, is like sitting behind the lenses of decent polarized fishing glasses. A significant part of the sun's energy is reflected and inside is comfortable. I would like to know why, on several trips there were short stops and slowdowns. The whole system seems like it should just run continuously with no issues, but we had stops and slow downs on at least 50% of our trips. For those offering opinions on heat build up in the cabin, without ever being in one, let alone being stopped in one for more than 30 seconds, please, be quiet. You have no idea what you are talking about.

My first ride in the gondola was close to sunset. I had a 32oz hydro flask full of beer. It was a wonderful happy hour.

We will be back at WDW in December, and I can't wait to ride it again.

Not gondola related, but we did get evaced from Splash yesterday am. The 3 CMs who were trying to move and tie up the logs were pretty sad. Without going into the specifics of age, sex, and weight, let's just say they were weak. One log was left behind with passengers, to be evaced later. If this was a real life threating situation, I would have taken over, and got those people out. For those who will question my opinion of the evac, let's just say I am well trained in water rescues both above and below the surface.

I have never felt sorry for, or had an "emotional" reaction to anything involving a company or corporation. Saturday night I truly felt bad for the Disney company. I hope the gondola has a couple decades of incident free operation.

ImperfectPixie

Correct, Disney does not meet ADA requirements, they exceed them enormously. Except for Handicapped parking at the Magic Kingdom. ANd the number of H spots in general all over the "World". Those are clearly at required minimums, and they are never available after like an hour of opening.
Parking for the handicapped is always going to be an issue. It's too easy to falsify a placard or to use one when the handicapped person isn't even present.

Hawg G

Parking for the handicapped is always going to be an issue. It's too easy to falsify a placard or to use one when the handicapped person isn't even present.

But the minimums are set by I assume Federal law, and work at most places, even Walmart. But it does not take in to account that WDW guests are probably 2 or 3 times (or more) the average Handicapped ratio.

halltd

By that logic Disney should also shut down all rides because a break down on them could also cause a panic attack?
For some reason you never understand what I write. I was asking what would have happened to the panic attack guest had RCFD not evacuated them and just let the ride team get the whole system moving again? Not close every attraction because people might have attacks on them. I’m not actually sure how you even got that from my post.

My putting people at risk comment was referring to all the people in the cabins that were put at risk because of the single guest with the issue.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
For some reason you never understand what I write. I was asking what would have happened to the panic attack guest had RCFD not evacuated them and just let the ride team get the whole system moving again? Not close every attraction because people might have attacks on them. I’m not actually sure how you even got that from my post.

"? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack."

I interpreted this to mean, if there is a chance someone will have a panic attack why risk having this system?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll ask you again:

1) What time of day were these videos taken?
2) What was the outside temperature during the video?
3) What was the temperature inside the gondola BEFORE stoppage?
4) How long was the stoppage?
5) Would it be fair to say, in a 5 minute stoppage during a day where the outside temperature was over 90, the gondola temperature raised 1 degree, but in a 180 minute stop, the temperature will raise a lot more than 1 degree?
6) How many people were in the gondola? The more people, the more body heat will be given off.

Again, just asking so we can have a real basis here. You are using vloggers who aren't exactly conducting scientific experiments, and who won't dare put anything in a negative light toward Disney (and thus risk losing their access to their gravy train). But if we can get more factual information regarding these unscientific tests, we can at least formulate better opinions.

What is wrong with you? Do you not know how to read? I've already said how the temperature was gauged and yet you ask questions you already know can't be answered. Stop wasting your time showing off.

Until someone runs rigorous tests, we don't know all the parameters. We do know that there are people who are saying "how hot it gets" when the gondolas stop. And then others take that account and repeat that claim framing it as the temperature shooting up to the level of life and death heat exhaustion.

Since the first vloggers started vlogging, it's been in the mid to upper 80s with bright sunshine. The vloggers who were recording a one degree rise were doing so when those without thermometers were saying "how hot it got" when the gondolas stopped. These are concurrent measurements and just goes to show that unless someone is carrying a thermometer, their own assessment of "how hot it got" is meaningless since human perception of the senses is very relative and often works on a logarithmic feedback system.

Of course one "thinks" the temperature has just shot up when a strong breeze suddenly stops. Duh.

So, all we have for now is what we have. If you want more, go measure it yourself.

halltd

"? Just wondering if putting hundreds or thousands of people at risk is worth it for a single panic attack."

I interpreted this to mean, if there is a chance someone will have a panic attack why risk having this system?
Nope. I meant all the other guests on the line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom